UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX NCAA Quarterfinals vs. Denver (Hofstra University)

I would rather do that and believe that your goalie is going to stop more than let in. In previous games IMO we did the worst of both worlds and got caught in no mans land by over sliding and giving up opportunities outside as well as inside.

One of the double edged swords of our two way middie play is that guys get tired and you could see that a bit yesterday and that is something to take into account next weekend. I would like to see a little less of giving that initial free run on the alley dodge, but not sure any other team has the combination of snipers as well as slick attackman as did Denver.

I really thought this was the toughest personnel match up. If Justin gets the shorty again need a little more initiation from him. I think most teams will pole Jacob and Kyle.

I don't listen to the "talking heads" much. I am usually at the games 

But  the win over Denver yesterday was the 3rd team who won a national championship in the last 3 seasons that Albany beat in the last 13 months :)

North Carolina and Maryland being the other 2  

Interesting since we never play anyone according to some.

But to be the best you have to beat the best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly right.

i just watched the TV converage  of the game and maybe I am thicker skinned than some, but while they it did have a bit of the hall of fame blue blood against the SUNY boys I am not sure given what we knew that it was misplaced.

I am thankful that any games are televised but the sport only reinforces the power bias from who is on TV and to things like that inside special that was done this year that only further reinforced the usual suspect bias.

i think we are now the hot team but just getting over the hump isn’t good enough and I don’t expect any complacency. The seniors are just too good to let that happen.

After watching it on TV it will be interesting to see how the midfield rotations work. The bench got a little shorter with no Ron John or Chris Ryan. I suspect some of the midfield defensive “issues”were fatigue related. Let’s face it not many of those guys ever have to play a full, intense game and that is why we constantly get the they are good but it is just the AE rap all the time. I think the knonwns on Yale are less than DU which helps, but with a potential two massive games in 48 hours even more important for TD to flip the table on Mackie.

Always nice to watch the highlights...when you win ☺

How awesome was the goal when Tehoka smashed into the defender knocking him back a few feet and then firing it into the net?  The goal right at the half was pretty sweet as well.  The young man really stepped up yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

I found the post game on the Hofstra Pride Facebook page. The Denver part is a good listen. Tierney was very gracious but made one very interesting observation that we have been talking about with attacking our SSDM’s and how that may be a great strategy early but can hurt you late which is why they kept attacking those match ups.

I’m not expecting any changes because we are who we are, but it is a good point. I haven’t asked about what the deal is with Zellen, but he was a middie before he picked up the pole. I wonder why they haven’t given him any runs at SSDM. A short bench with our style is asking a whole lot.

3 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Anyone find the entire post-game presser?  Not on you-tube as yet.  Like to hear what Tierney had to say, the grump that he is.

Yes, I'm a broken record. I have said this 100 times and many times to the athletic department. There is absolutely no reason with today's technology that EVERY men's basketball, football and lax press conferences are not on YouTube or our website. It's pathetic. Siena has a person who takes video on a phone and hits upload to YouTube and every basketball presser is on their YouTube account. It's that friggin easy!!!!!!  

• Like 1

I loved this quote from a Denver player. 

“It seemed like they had so many options,” said Denver defenseman Dylan Gaines, whose primary matchup was Nanticoke. “We were trying to stop one, and then the other would just open up. Colin Squires did an unbelievable job on their best player. Even with him doing that job, we still had a lot of trouble stopping other guys because it seems like everybody can light it up and put the ball in the back of the net. That was definitely a struggle to figure out who to stop and how to stop them.”

• Thanks 1

Will re-watch today; but from my wet and live perspective a couple of comments:  first the crowd was amazing; sat with a couple of Dads who are 'little league lacrosse" coaches , who use the Reh brothers as assistants. Whenever the one dad yelled to Troy to be tough on the wing, Troy would give the gentlemen a nod and proceeded in doing so! It was so much fun, felt really involved. If the weather was better (even though by the UA game it did improve) it would have been even a larger crowd. 

Thought JD was not really sharp, but overall I thought the D played well and agree with those who said said our strategy was to not over slide and to make den beat us from the outside.I think the strategy DID work overall, but thought there were a couple of shots JD could have handled. (might change my mind when I watch replay).

When Tehoka got the personal foul call, I turned to one of the L.I. dads and asked  "Freshman mistake?" and he said it was overdue, that we had been taking cheap hits for much of the game; and up by four with a couple minutes left, maybe it was a good time to retaliate and send a message UA will protect teamates. Got a little nerve racking after though.

Connor may not have had a lot of points (only 3 assists I think); but he made some huge hustle plays. He kept the ball alive on a rebound shot, which eventually led to a Patterson unassisted goal; and saved a ball from going out of bounds while three defenders pretty much on his back. But maybe the best part of having him back, has freed McClancy from long sticks and double teams. [McC 3 goals 2 assist yesterday and multiple points last weekend also after pretty much being shout down when Connor out.]

1 minute ago, dslyank said:

Will re-watch today; but from my wet and live perspective a couple of comments:  first the crowd was amazing; sat with a couple of Dads who are 'little league lacrosse" coaches , who use the Reh brothers as assistants. Whenever the one dad yelled to Troy to be tough on the wing, Troy would give the gentlemen a nod and proceeded in doing so! It was so much fun, felt really involved. If the weather was better (even though by the UA game it did improve) it would have been even a larger crowd. 

Thought JD was not really sharp, but overall I thought the D played well and agree with those who said said our strategy was to not over slide and to make den beat us from the outside.I think the strategy DID work overall, but thought there were a couple of shots JD could have handled. (might change my mind when I watch replay).

When Tehoka got the personal foul call, I turned to one of the L.I. dads and asked  "Freshman mistake?" and he said it was overdue, that we had been taking cheap hits for much of the game; and up by four with a couple minutes left, maybe it was a good time to retaliate and send a message UA will protect teamates. Got a little nerve racking after though.

Connor may not have had a lot of points (only 3 assists I think); but he made some huge hustle plays. He kept the ball alive on a rebound shot, which eventually led to a Patterson unassisted goal; and saved a ball from going out of bounds while three defenders pretty much on his back. But maybe the best part of having him back, has freed McClancy from long sticks and double teams. [McC 3 goals 2 assist yesterday and multiple points last weekend also after pretty much being shout down when Connor out.]

On one goal JD gave up, Quint actually said something right when JD dropped his stick and left the upper corner of goal wide open for a guy who dodged in close and scored.

8 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Anyone find the entire post-game presser?  Not on you-tube as yet.  Like to hear what Tierney had to say, the grump that he is.

Is on Inside lacrosse and a couple of links from there.

9 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Exactly right.

i just watched the TV converage  of the game and maybe I am thicker skinned than some, but while they it did have a bit of the hall of fame blue blood against the SUNY boys I am not sure given what we knew that it was misplaced.

I am thankful that any games are televised but the sport only reinforces the power bias from who is on TV and to things like that inside special that was done this year that only further reinforced the usual suspect bias.

i think we are now the hot team but just getting over the hump isn’t good enough and I don’t expect any complacency. The seniors are just too good to let that happen.

After watching it on TV it will be interesting to see how the midfield rotations work. The bench got a little shorter with no Ron John or Chris Ryan. I suspect some of the midfield defensive “issues”were fatigue related. Let’s face it not many of those guys ever have to play a full, intense game and that is why we constantly get the they are good but it is just the AE rap all the time. I think the knonwns on Yale are less than DU which helps, but with a potential two massive games in 48 hours even more important for TD to flip the table on Mackie.

Disagree of course with this ".... I am not sure given what we knew that it was misplaced......"  NOT deserved at all, especially the comments from the two young guys that we haven't played anybody!!!!!  They were  very smug about it too.  

The rest of your comment seems about right though