UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

11 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Exactly my thought on this whole thing. 

We made a deal that this is his journey and I wouldn't ask things. I have seen and heard things some of which I have shared, some I have alluded too, and some I have kept my mouth shut about. I was 99% sure Connor had blown out his knee during the Harvard game, and there are some other things, but I don't like to call out kids on an internet forum so I keep the vast majority of it to myself.

I do think there is a bit of a culture clash going on. Kids want to win and I have picked up on there are the guys who want the goofy head shots and the kids that want to work all the time. Not that those two things are mutually exclusive by any means, but I do think it rubs some guys the wrong way. 

Coach Marr is a great guy and despite any sort of looseness in the program I am very happy that he is the coach or adult who is running the ship in so many ways. Do I wish things were tighter at times sure, but as a parent i will take Coach Marr seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Can his style get the team over the biggest hump of all, I am not sure, but I am OK with that.

For example, I know we have a guy transferring out who isn't a player who sees the field very much, but I don't feel it is my position to say anything about it. 

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

We made a deal that this is his journey and I wouldn't ask things. I have seen and heard things some of which I have shared, some I have alluded too, and some I have kept my mouth shut about. I was 99% sure Connor had blown out his knee during the Harvard game, and there are some other things, but I don't like to call out kids on an internet forum so I keep the vast majority of it to myself.

I do think there is a bit of a culture clash going on. Kids want to win and I have picked up on there are the guys who want the goofy head shots and the kids that want to work all the time. Not that those two things are mutually exclusive by any means, but I do think it rubs some guys the wrong way. 

Coach Marr is a great guy and despite any sort of looseness in the program I am very happy that he is the coach or adult who is running the ship in so many ways. Do I wish things were tighter at times sure, but as a parent i will take Coach Marr seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Can his style get the team over the biggest hump of all, I am not sure, but I am OK with that.

For example, I know we have a guy transferring out who isn't a player who sees the field very much, but I don't feel it is my position to say anything about it. 

HOPEFULLY Coach Marr will get it upon self reflection and make some changes and keep TD.  Fun is one thing BUT it can certainly get out of hand.  MAYBE that is the guy they are referring to and they are just trying to make 'news' so people will listen to them!!  Would love to know of other guys they are trying to get on board and who might be transferring in. 

30 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I fully appreciate your stance with your son and the program.  I respect that a lot. Well done!

There is no coach in the country whose style is going to fit every player. I absolutely think Coach Marr's style can win big games. Yale was the best team in the country this year and they showed it throughout the whole tourney and in the champ game. It has been rare for us to beat the top teams over the years.  Seemed we were always close but never could get over the top because of what I think was less athletes and the lack of a solid FOGO but I don't think it was coaching.  This year we beat Syracuse and Maryland on the road, last year we beat UNC in the tourney and also beat Denver in the quarterfinals this year to make it to our first final four. Those are four of the biggest wins in program history IMO.  So, yes, I think Marr's style can and probably will win a championship if he stays the course. 

On TD, if he leaves, he leaves but it would be a huge blow to the program.  I really think his play put us over the top this season.

One last item I forget to mention above. I think without Connor's knee issues we win it all and no one is talking about transfers or Coach Marr's style!  I think that now and will continue to think that.  He was the heartbeat of this team. Amazing how far they got with him on one leg. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

HOPEFULLY Coach Marr will get it upon self reflection and make some changes and keep TD.  Fun is one thing BUT it can certainly get out of hand.  MAYBE that is the guy they are referring to and they are just trying to make 'news' so people will listen to them!!  Would love to know of other guys they are trying to get on board and who might be transferring in. 

Sorry to disagree but no one player should change the way a program has been successfully run for two decades. 

4 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

Sorry to disagree but no one player should change the way a program has been successfully run for two decades. 

Totally disagree.  If you have followed over the last 10 years you have to see the big missing link during the Thompson years and before was a faceoff guy and maybe defensive players.  But FO was key.  We seldom won FO - you have to possess the ball to score.  Even coach Marr has said this.  Also depends on what you consider success,  Winning league title then yes,  Getting to NCAA tourney then correct.  Getting to final 4 with a chance to win the whole thing.  NOT.

1 minute ago, HOF2013 said:

Totally disagree.  If you have followed over the last 10 years you have to see the big missing link during the Thompson years and before was a faceoff guy and maybe defensive players.  But FO was key.  We seldom won FO - you have to possess the ball to score.  Even coach Marr has said this.  Also depends on what you consider success,  Winning league title then yes,  Getting to NCAA tourney then correct.  Getting to final 4 with a chance to win the whole thing.  NOT.

Yale won it all with winning 60% of faceoffs. As long as we have someone good, I think we can still win. Does it help, yes and A LOT. IT IS HUGE, I'm not disagreeing with that. But to change the whole program's culture and philosophy for it, I don't agree. Maybe they don't get a Fields or a Nanticoke with a change in philosophy.  All everyone talks about is the culture and philosophy of the program and how that has brought the level of players we have to the program and made it successful. I just don't agree with changing that for one player.

Also, I just went through the stats for faceoffs for albany since 09.  Before TD, we cracked the top 50 in faceoff win percentage twice. With where the program is now, I think Marr and staff and lure a top 10-20 guy who won't be TD and it will HURT but you can win.     

More stats:

Maryland won in 2017 with the 34th ranked face off win percentage (50%)

UNC won in 2016 with the 13th ranked face off win percentage (56%)

Denver won in 2015 with a 66% win percentage

Duke won in 2014 with a 57% win percentage

As much as I agree that it is extremely important and TD could be the best EVER, I don't think changing the whole culture and philosophy of the program and risking losing out on other recruits or current players to keep one player is the right decision.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Stop being so negative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Fair enough, and probably a great decision to keep it separate. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

Yale won it all with winning 60% of faceoffs. 

More stats:

Maryland won in 2017 with the 34th ranked face off win percentage (50%)

UNC won in 2016 with the 13th ranked face off win percentage (56%)

Denver won in 2015 with a 66% win percentage

Duke won in 2014 with a 57% win percentage

These #s are all eye opening to me. TD was amazing this year, but we played some pretty bad teams in the America east. No one is going to go 80% against another solid FO guy which you will see in the quarterfinals on. 

TD went 50% against Baptiste and I think about even against Mackie with a bum wrist. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Stop being so negative.

Not negative.  Just realistic - If TD leaves it will be one of the biggest loses we have ever had, just saying.  I don't see that as negative but being real.

5 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

These #s are all eye opening to me. TD was amazing this year, but we played some pretty bad teams in the America east. No one is going to go 80% against another solid FO guy which you will see in the quarterfinals on. 

TD went 50% against Baptiste and I think about even against Mackie with a bum wrist. 

AND Baptiste, the greatest FO guy ever,  went 50% against him!

4 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

AND Baptiste, the greatest FO guy ever,  went 50% against him!

That's my point. I think everyone looks too much at the high overall win % 

The greatest ever still goes 50%. Not sure what he went during his national championship run, but come the later rounds of the tournament it's leveled off.

Yale/Duke championship game was 50/50.

Edited by UA'08

31 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Not negative.  Just realistic - If TD leaves it will be one of the biggest loses we have ever had, just saying.  I don't see that as negative but being real.

I don't think there is one person here who would disagree with that.