UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I agree with all of you guys.  Absolutely a positive!  I would think he is actively interviewing new Def coaches AND that he and merrick have both spread their contacts and will get a couple of REALLY quality recruits from these contacts.

19 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Just noticed that Eccles is no longer listed on the coaching page. 

In the roster list he is at the bottom.

3 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Probably, never saw that page!!!! What the hell am I doing???

Shot clock going into effect next year. Definitely plays into the strength of how the Danes play, but going to need two new LSM's who can push and the third close will have to have great stick skills as well. With only 20 secs to clear going to need great clearing and poles with great stick skills and the ability to get the ball upfield.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I heard who one of the new coaches is, a recent former player, but think he will be replacing Eccles, and not be the defensive coordinator. Haven’t heard a thing about any transfers.

Thanks

On 8/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

This certainly mitigates the loss of TD as FOGO significance just lessened. 

I suppose with a shot clock it will help us get the ball back more often when/if we lose face-offs? But I am not sure why you say this will negate the loss of TD? He was fabulous at moving the ball forward and getting the offense going quickly. I would like to hear your reasoning??

Nothing happens in a vacuum and we can’t do static analysis on proposed or enacted rule changes. When the NFL changed the touchback rule to come out to the 50, Belichik famously instructed his kicker to shorten his kickoffs to make the other team field the ball. He didn’t want to give up those 5 yards for free. Coaches will develop new fast break strategies and depending on where the ball is taken by the other team it probably will produce more rides. So we have wait and see how the game adjusts to the rule. I tend to like it overall. I think it will have a lot less impact on a quick trigger offense like UA than the teams that use a slow and deliberate offense. They will alter their approach too in coming up with plays that take less time to develop. 

Edited by jimbo

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

Nothing happens in a vacuum and we can’t do static analysis on proposed or enacted rule changes. When the NFL changed the touchback rule to come out to the 50, Belichik famously instructed his kicker to shorten his kickoffs to make the other team field the ball. He didn’t want to give up those 5 yards for free. Coaches will develop new fast break strategies and depending on where the ball is taken by the other team it probably will produce more rides. So we have wait and see how the game adjusts to the rule. I tend to like it overall. I think it will have a lot less impact on a quick trigger offense like UA than the teams that use a slow and deliberate offense. They will alter their approach too in coming up with plays that take less time to develop. 

Agreed.  I thought the same thing.  Those teams Albany plays that try to defend us by slowing things down will have issues if the rules are instituted.  Should help us.

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

I suppose with a shot clock it will help us get the ball back more often when/if we lose face-offs? But I am not sure why you say this will negate the loss of TD? He was fabulous at moving the ball forward and getting the offense going quickly. I would like to hear your reasoning??

Exactly that.  Face-offs are less significant, especially towards the end of a game with the ability to make up for his loss with stout and challenging D.  

On 8/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I heard who one of the new coaches is, a recent former player, but think he will be replacing Eccles, and not be the defensive coordinator. Haven’t heard a thing about any transfers.

When TD was leaving there was also a rumor that there was a big name transfer coming to Albany.  Nothing at all since then though.