UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Pre-season: Expectations, Predictions, and articles

Ibitokun-Hanks says he's "bigger and better"

Ibitokun-Hanks said he's ready to go with training camp breaking Sunday and the season opener at the University of Pittsburgh looming on Sept. 1. "I think I'm very confident,'' he said. "I feel stronger, I feel faster. Being able to see those runs as I'm in there, being able to go slow, fast with the tempo, it really brings great confidence going into Pitt."

He returned to practice on Friday after being held out for three straight days. Both Ibitokun-Hanks and UAlbany head coach Greg Gattuso said it was just meant to keep him fresh and had nothing to do with the knee. He no longer wears a brace on the knee, which is 20 months removed from surgery. "Nothing,'' he said. "It's ready to go. It's back to normal. Let's go.

""Last year, I don't think mentally he was ready,'' Gattuso said. "Being 12 months out (of surgery) isn't always easy. He's in a very good place mentally. He knows what he needs to do, he's very focused and when he's out here, we practice better."

15 hours ago, uofalbany said:

What the &iena is yurview?   More concerned about ACC Network extra.....  

I recall watching part of the Villanova-Pitt game from a few years ago. I went to their schedule and it was on ACC Extra. I just looked on WatchESPN and ACC Extra is part of the content. So I suspect if you've got it on your computer or on ROKU/other streaming device, we should be able to watch it.

• Like 1

I didn’t want to start a new topic for this: did anyone go to the fan appreciation event last Thursday? There was lots of buildup but nothing after, which leads me to believe it was a dud. There were 5 of us planning to go, but then we found out a favorite band (McKrells) would be doing an out door gig about 5 minutes from home. So we went there instead. 

UAlbany football ends "businesslike" camp with some fun

Offense and defense switched sides at the end of camp, LB Eli Mencer throwing a TD to DE Brian Dolce.

For the coaching staff, now it's down to the business of solidifying their depth chart for the opener at Pittsburgh on Sept. 1. That includes naming a starting quarterback. It's not going to be Mencer. The logical choice would seem to be senior Vince Testaverde, who again worked with the first unit as the Great Danes scrimmaged in a sometimes heavy rain on Saturday. Will Brunson, who's started the past two seasons, played with the second team, as was the case for much of camp. Brunson would have gotten first-team snaps but practice ended early because of the weather, according to Gattuso.

Dolce said he emerges from camp convinced UAlbany can be as good defensively as last year, when the Great Danes were fourth in the CAA in points allowed (17.7 ppg) and second in total defense (282.5 ypg). "I think we learned a lot about our defense,'' Dolce said. "The D-line's going to be very solid all year and Levi stepped up big-time in the linebacker spot. We trust him out there." He was referring to sophomore middle linebacker Levi Metheny, replacing Mechanicville's Nate Hatalsky

• Like 1

I read all this the other day.  Still wondering about Nyc Burns. Hard to believe after all the hype he had a legitimate chance and is not higher than third - of course he is a Sophomore and the other two are a Jr and Sr!!  I would think before long he'll get game time unless he just crapped the bed during pre-season.  Any thoughts ANYBODY?  I never watched a practice so am not sure.

Nyc Burns having a fantastic last two days.  According to Singleis' Twitter feed, both Coach Gattuso and Davis are in talks about starting Burns at Pitt.  Even if he doesn't start, Gattuso is quoted (I am now paraphrasing) that Nyc is likely the QB of the future...it's just a matter of when.

Metheny looking forward to homecoming at Pitt 

It would be the first career start for Metheny, a redshirt sophomore. "It's awesome,'' Metheny said. "It's a great accomplishment, it's a great thing and I'm looking forward to it." So is his family. His father, Jeff, was his high school head coach. "To be on that field, in that setting, which we didn't get to do when he was a player here, is really going to be a special day for our family and his friends and all those people," Jeff Metheny said.

UAlbany is the only school that offered a scholarship to Levi Metheny...Metheny, listed at 5-foot-11, weighed about 205 pounds coming out of Bethel Park. He has since bulked up to 235.

He's off to a good start ... according to senior defensive end Brian Dolce, who has been impressed by Metheny's aggressiveness. "Nate (Hatalsky) had a lot of question marks (going into last season),'' Dolce pointed out. "People don't know who Levi is, but that kid is one of the most physical kids. He comes downhill. He doesn't care about his body. He comes down and make a hit and he's always in the right spot, so we love him out there."