UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Pre-season: Expectations, Predictions, and articles

On 8/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, UAalum72 said:

Singelais has a story online that Testaverde will wear his father's #14, instead of 17. Murad Hussein, out for the year with an ACL, gave it up, but said they'd decided before his injury.

Gattuso hasn't named a starting QB, but says he'll "have an idea" by Monday or Tuesday.

The last depth chart had Stire at 2nd string TE. I'm guessing with Hussein out that moves him up to starter? If so, that's kind of crazy. I'm guessing he'll be doing faceoffs for lax in the spring too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dane Pound said:

The last depth chart had Stire at 2nd string TE. I'm guessing with Hussein out that moves him up to starter? If so, that's kind of crazy. I'm guessing he'll be doing faceoffs for lax in the spring too.

Hussein was the main TE receiving threat.  If Stire can catch...my guess is, with his athleticsm, he would be out there.  

That being said, the roster has been updated with size updates as well.  This is BY FAR the biggest we've been while in the CAA, especially at critical positions including linebacker.  To Gattuso's long stated point...on paper this LOOKS like a CAA level team.

BTW, have you noticed the size of our TE's.  Massive.  Stire and Wesneski both are over 270, and Repetti is about 3 pounds away.  The remainder of the group are all 6'6 and 240+

What sucks is, we are basically starting the season with three starters out: Burton, Gray, and Hussein.  Burton and Gray are probably the most difficult to replace.

Also, it's my understanding that Braeden Zenelovic is out for the year with surgery...I believe on the same foot he injured and put him out for the year last year.  Rooting for the kid's recovery, and he rejoins the team as a walk-on.  Clearly, he would not have supplanted any of the QB's on the roster...but it must be tough on him.

Edited by Dane96

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Hussein was the main TE receiving threat.  If Stire can catch...my guess is, with his athleticsm, he would be out there.  

That being said, the roster has been updated with size updates as well.  This is BY FAR the biggest we've been while in the CAA, especially at critical positions including linebacker.  To Gattuso's long stated point...on paper this LOOKS like a CAA level team.

BTW, have you noticed the size of our TE's.  Massive.  Stire and Wesneski both are over 270, and Repetti is about 3 pounds away.  The remainder of the group are all 6'6 and 240+

What sucks is, we are basically starting the season with three starters out: Burton, Gray, and Hussein.  Burton and Gray are probably the most difficult to replace.

Also, it's my understanding that Braeden Zenelovic is out for the year with surgery...I believe on the same foot he injured and put him out for the year last year.  Rooting for the kid's recovery, and he rejoins the team as a walk-on.  Clearly, he would not have supplanted any of the QB's on the roster...but it must be tough on him.

If Hussein was the main threat we are in trouble.  Did NOT impress [hardly any time last year] in Spring Game.  Stire actually looked good in the Spring Game I thought.  Lots of LB's on the team and Lots of Def Secondary guys.   Time for next man up.

Rumor is that Burns is looking AWESOME at QB and may be the surprise starter!!!!  At least sometime during the year!

Edited by HOF2013

.@UAlbanyFootball head coach Greg Gattuso said he’ll decide on his starting QB for Pitt by noon Thursday. He said it’ll be either Vince Testaverde or Will Brunson. It won’t be Nyc Burns. “He’s going to be the starter here someday, I think, but it just isn’t going to be today.”https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-13174168.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Nyc Burns. QB of the future

3 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Saw this was gonna post it but you got it brother!!!

I'm getting excited for this season and the chances to beat all the expectations...

• Big name QB (yet to be seen how he does in game)
  • Return of an All-American RB and the second year of a budding star RB
  • A huge TE that we have already spent 4 years rooting for on the hardwoord
  • Defense that was top notch last year

GO DANES!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just thought I would mention that in the Gazette today it was announced that Michael Kelly is the new sports editor. He will continue to do regular stories and reporting. Way to go MK! Thanks for covering UA so well.