UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Rules Changes for upcoming season

I'm glad the shot clock issue is being resolved. To many times teams would hold and it was the refs discretion to start the shot clock. Fans and coaches would become furious that it would just hold over and over. 

• 5 weeks later...

{duplicate post from fall ball thread}

It looks like the ncaa is revising the new shot clock rule. Instead of 20 sec to get across and 60 seconds to get a shot on goal; the new rule will be a straight 80 sec upon possession. Teams must still get the ball across in 20. I think this is a GOOD revision; it removes the subjective 20 sec officials manual counting and allows more time for offenses that can get the ball across faster than 20. [i.e. get it across in 10 sec and you now have 70 seconds to run your offense.] Also, after a shot on goal, reset will be 80 seconds. While perhaps not speeding the game up as much as the 20-60-60reset rule previously proposed; I think the difference will be negligible. In addition it will totally remove official subjectivity and arbitrary shot clock maintenance; and still prevent major stall tactics.

From what I read, coaches are highly behind the revision and many who were against the shot clock entirely are now more on board.

Edited by dslyank

On 9/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, dslyank said:

{duplicate post from fall ball thread}

It looks like the ncaa is revising the new shot clock rule. Instead of 20 sec to get across and 60 seconds to get a shot on goal; the new rule will be a straight 80 sec upon possession. Teams must still get the ball across in 20. I think this is a GOOD revision; it removes the subjective 20 sec officials manual counting and allows more time for offenses that can get the ball across faster than 20. [i.e. get it across in 10 sec and you now have 70 seconds to run your offense.] Also, after a shot on goal, reset will be 80 seconds. While perhaps not speeding the game up as much as the 20-60-60reset rule previously proposed; I think the difference will be negligible. In addition it will totally remove official subjectivity and arbitrary shot clock maintenance; and still prevent major stall tactics.

From what I read, coaches are highly behind the revision and many who were against the shot clock entirely are now more on board.

Not sure they should have revised the 60 second to 80 second after a shot, shot clock reset.  I would have kept it at 60.   Doesn’t feel like it’s speeding up the game much.  But then again, it’s a step in the right direction.  It can always be revised again.

Edited by uofalbany