UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, DanesRGood said:

when your 3rd string QB is a starting LB, you have a problem. 

You know that was a big red flag for me. Unless there’s injuries we don’t know about, how is it that a QB who hasn’t played the LB position in several years can beat out six recruited LBs on the roster? He’s had 2 solo tackles in 2 games. How bad could the other 6 be? 

Also: anyone notice how long it took to get the URI result up on the athletics page? Anybody notice no quotes from GG? Anyone notice how fast the results page has disappeared from the 5 story rotation? It’s gone to the archives already. It seems there was more than a little embarrassment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

when your 3rd string QB is a starting LB, you have a problem. 

I didn't think of this when it was announced but obviously this is a bad look...stands to reason that there is NOTHING of value in the pipeline if this is what they have to resort to in order to field a LB group. 

Again, unfortunately speaks to Gattuso's ability to recruit and fill out a roster. Brutal!

• Like 1

URI with 513 yards of offense.   UCONN not great however, this is impressive. 

What makes me mad is URI was heading to NEC and lost a ton of recruiting in multiple cycles.  They have 58 rides.  They have crap for a stadium.   We should be doing the same  

42 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

URI with 513 yards of offense.   UCONN not great however, this is impressive. 

What makes me mad is URI was heading to NEC and lost a ton of recruiting in multiple cycles.  They have 58 rides.  They have crap for a stadium.   We should be doing the same  

All CAA teams have 64 scholarships - not that THAT matters much

Edited by HOF2013

32 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

All CAA teams have 64 scholarships - not that THAT matters much

Maybe take a moment and reflect on what MANY have written on this board in relation to your posting.  This post is the exact reason people get pissed off.

1- There are only 63 scholarships in Division 1 FCS

2- URI, for a FACT, has 58 fully funded scholarships and 10 of them are in-state.  You know how i know...because I actually know people that are in the Athletic Department at the highest levels.  Furthermore, it was discussed on T.V. during our game.  That difference does make a difference in depth.

Moreover, URI as down to 38 fully funded scholarships in 2013, which was to be their first year in the NEC.  The program didn't ramp back up to the 58 level until last year because, even as of 2015, their were talks of ending the program and adding hockey.  Up until they received a donation of $4 million two years ago...was the program considered "safe" for the time being...with upgrades to the stadium.  They are STILL rebuilding (per se) as their was a lot of doubt on the program staying alive.

Let's talking coaching.  URI has 7 full time coaches and 2 part time coaches.  Albany has 10 full time coaches and 3 part time coaches.  That makes a difference.

I am pretty sure that Fleming makes less than Gattuso, last time I asked (in 2017).  He has a base of around 185k and gets $50k guaranteed from their FBS game.  So, let's say he got a 5% raise last year (unlikely), he's making a base of approximately $194k, with 50k in additional guarantees.  That's $254k in an area with the cost of living is equal to Albany (maybe less if he's in Kingston).  Gattuso makes $271...and I don't know if that is complete with incentives...but I doubt it as he got a raise with the new contract and the original had a base of $230.

Let's talk about expenditures.  Albany spends a total of $4.8 million on the program, with $800k going to game day expenses.  URI spends a total of $4.5 in expenses, with $850k going to game day. So, with less dollars allocated to out-of-state scholarship costs, Albany is spending "net" more than URI on football when you take game day expenses out of the base.

URI plays in an absolute dump.  We play in a comparative palace, aside from our abysmal locker rooms.  Yes, the lockeroom issue is an issue for Albany and recruiting.  

One year is an aberration...two years...and URI has eaten our lunch.  

I am far from one to give up on a season...but right now URI has proven a hell of a lot more...with a lot less...this season.  Stop behaving like Baghdad Bob with the intimation that 5 scholarships less than Albany means nothing. However, let me accept your argument for a second.  If it doesn't matter, then would you agree that our coaching staff hasn't done a quality job with either game day coaching and / or recruiting; that's the only plausible explanation as to why URI has fared better than us this season?  It's the only reasonable explanation that you can be left with if you cancel the arguments out.

Edited by Dane96
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

That JMU score is crazy

I'm so glad we haven't had to play them the last 2 years. Those guys seem to average like 60 points a game. Every time I check a score of theirs its insane. Unfreakinreal.

Edited by Eli