UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Call out to the UA Volleyball team. Won their first match today 3-0 vs Western Illinois and then came back from 0-2 to beat the home team 3-2 in the Florida Gold (or Gulf?) Coast Tournament  in Ft Myers. They play West Virginia tomorrow @ 1. Huge crowd in Ft Myers. UA showed a lot of boise coming back. Got significant minutes from 3 freshman. This is a Very good UA team. Be sure to come and support them when they get home to University Gym. 3 and 5 overall so far against some very good completion.

Anyone know if TIANGCO,Tatiana   (#1) is injured? She has not played in the last 2 or 3 matches. I only ask because the Gulf Coast announcer kept reminding us that  fgcu was missing their best player. Tatiana was out 3rd best "killer " last year. 

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Ladies lost 15-8 in last set.  SBU gets bid.

I saw the last three sets. Ladies played hard and took SBU to a fifth set, which according to the announcers had only happened twice in conference play. The ladies had all the momentum going into the last set but couldn't keep it going.  I don't watch any volleyball but that was fun to watch. 

I saw pretty nearly every home game and watched many of the road matches streamed. Brook was by far the best team in the league this year; and the UA ladies played well yesterday; and DESERVE praise for a great effort and and overall excellent season. They are very young and only lose one senior, who will be VERY tough to replace. If coach MJ can find a libero even half as good as Otero, UA should be outstanding next season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just saw on UAlbanysports.com that MJ Engstrom is no longer the Volleyball coach.  Josh Pickard was named head coach 2/5/2019. It was announced 12/20/2018 that MJ would NOT be back (I never saw the posting @ the time). From what I could tell neither posting was in the standard five scrolled listings. It was almost like they were NOT trying to publicize the situation. I saw a small listing in the TU "transaction" section on the scoreboard page this AM; and had to go hunt for the both UA stories.

I WAS/AM TOTALLY SHOCKED THAT MJ was let go with no explanation and no fanfare. I guess it is consistent with Benson being more secretive than Robert Mueller. Did anyone out there on this blog hear about this or see the UA postings?????  Anyone know what's going on and WHY??????

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, dslyank said:

2019 Schedule posted. Curious---No Umass Lowell. Did they drop woman's Volleyball? If so they must be comfortable with their Title IX situation {no football to offset.}

Yes.

There are articles on that December and January

Edited by bob87

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 9:15 AM, dslyank said:

I just saw on UAlbanysports.com that MJ Engstrom is no longer the Volleyball coach.  Josh Pickard was named head coach 2/5/2019. It was announced 12/20/2018 that MJ would NOT be back (I never saw the posting @ the time). From what I could tell neither posting was in the standard five scrolled listings. It was almost like they were NOT trying to publicize the situation. I saw a small listing in the TU "transaction" section on the scoreboard page this AM; and had to go hunt for the both UA stories.

I WAS/AM TOTALLY SHOCKED THAT MJ was let go with no explanation and no fanfare. I guess it is consistent with Benson being more secretive than Robert Mueller. Did anyone out there on this blog hear about this or see the UA postings?????  Anyone know what's going on and WHY??????

Heard recently that MJ had/has some Title IX concerns too (not related directly to tennis or the previous OCR investigation) and they were in writing.  If Benson fired her for speaking out about it things are going to go to hell pretty quickly. Good god, could it get any worse?