UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Fall Ball - Men's Lacrosse

On 9/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I heard through the grapevine that the school wants to either upgrade or expand (not sure which) the lacrosse locker room, and you would think that whoever runs the development program would be out with a bull horn, screaming at the top of his or her lungs. I am surprised that no one has tried to do something at the corporate level and with the Thompson's to honor the Native roots of lacrosse, and how Coach Marr and the UAlbany program is the embodiment of that history. 

I can see the Nike commercial now.

I can't see or don't want a Nike commercial BUT any upgrade helps the program! Thompsons yes!

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

I can't see or don't want a Nike commercial BUT any upgrade helps the program! Thompsons yes!

Nike is a big sponsor of Thompson Brother's Lacrosse which is why I mentioned them.

There seems like a respectful way to leverage the Thompson's and the special  relationship Coach Marr has developed with them and the Haudenosaunee.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Nike is a big sponsor of Thompson Brother's Lacrosse which is why I mentioned them.

There seems like a respectful way to leverage the Thompson's and the special  relationship Coach Marr has developed with them and the Haudenosaunee.

I know they support the Thompsons, depends on if Lyle and clan is willing. I personally will not buy their products but would support the Thompsons.  GREAT video by the way.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

A little information about Connor Russell:  He was not a bad FOGO; as a freshman a little less than 50% and a little better than 50% his second year. He seemed to be really coming along when he had his injury. He would not become a TD (not many are) but IMHO he would have become MUCH better than average. The injury was devastating and many thought he would never play again. I had seats next to his parents {who never sat together--Mrs. R made Mr R too nervous--she seemed fine to me} and they came to every game even when Connor was rehabbing and unable to play. NICE PEOPLE!  They told me doctors were against Connor trying to rehab, but Connor was adamant. Tough kid; I don't think he ever really healed all the way, but did get to play a little back-up to TD eventually.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dslyank said:

A little information about Connor Russell:  He was not a bad FOGO; as a freshman a little less than 50% and a little better than 50% his second year. He seemed to be really coming along when he had his injury. He would not become a TD (not many are) but IMHO he would have become MUCH better than average. The injury was devastating and many thought he would never play again. I had seats next to his parents {who never sat together--Mrs. R made Mr R too nervous--she seemed fine to me} and they came to every game even when Connor was rehabbing and unable to play. NICE PEOPLE!  They told me doctors were against Connor trying to rehab, but Connor was adamant. Tough kid; I don't think he ever really healed all the way, but did get to play a little back-up to TD eventually.

Great story and Connor has one of the biggest coaching jobs this off season. I will be eager to see how the FOGO's do on the 13th.

18 hours ago, UAFAN said:

Bout time I'd say.  Good to see them.  Not sure they have enough experience - we'll see.

Another question.  Will Maloney be the Def Coordinator - not sure he is ready for that?  WIll Marr handle that himself with an assist from Maloney?

Edited by HOF2013

15 hours ago, dslyank said:

Very good to know a little more about him. I still have a little concern about the coaching experience.   No better way to learn than to be a coach though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Definitely a younger overall staff, and as I would have assumed, it appears as if Coach Marr is more hands on this year. I have had a chance to be around some of the guys, and there definitely is something different this fall. 

AWESOME.   Once you get a taste of the big stage it is hard to get rid if.  Hope this translates to GREAT play and confidence, maybe a chip on the shoulder too!!

Just a little info on the coaching staff. The biggest reason why we have the staff that we do is the lack of funding for what amounts to the 2nd assistant. I won't get into specifics but you can see what I mean if you look up the salaries on SeeThroughNY. Merrick getting bumped up to what Liam was making essentially made it impossible to attract a seasoned DC. I would have loved to see them get Craig McDonald, who is the current DC at UMass, but I am sure he is making more than 40K which is about all we had to offer.

I am very nervous about this team on defense now. I hope Maloney does great things and there are numerous examples of young people doing amazing things in the coaching ranks -- look at OU's football coach Lincoln Riley. However, unless they add to the budget for the assistants we won't be able to attract anyone with a lot of experience.

• Like 2

I was talking with one of the starting defenders, and while I am sure you are correct about budget constraints, one of the reasons hiring Maloney was a plus, besides being a former player which has been our M.O., is the MLL experience with the shot clock. My initial hunch was that they would go after Tim Cox, no idea if they did or not, just based upon him being a former player, VA, and his recent DI experience at Robert Morris. 

Personnel wise, I actually think the defense will be in good shape to handle the rule changes. IMO Stone was one of the most under appreciated poles in the country, but we will have great continuity and even more size with Flip as the starting third pole. We'll lose offensive punch with Troy leaving, but will be bigger with Gleason(assuming he is the front runner) as the LSM. I understand that two of the freshmen have been outstanding on defense so overall this will be the biggest and most athletic defense that I can ever recall in Dane history.

Our weakness on defense last year was teams exploiting midfield dodges, and with the new rules I imagine we will see more of that. No clue on how we will attack it, but there will be 4 poles out there all the time who have the athleticism to press out and make it difficult for teams to get quality looks in 60-70 seconds.

I think the biggest hole is going to be replacing McClancy and to me the most unsung Dane of last year's team Josh Eagan.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018