UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Fall Ball - Men's Lacrosse

Brief report on Hill game. For anyone thinking UA was playing a high school team; Hill is a top notch prep school, probably the best in Canada for lacrosse. It's coach Brodie Merrill is a legend in lacrosse & I believe a former Tewarton winner. Some of the players are high school age; but most are post high school and equivalent to college freshman. Scott Marr's son who we will see Saturday with John Hopkins played a year @ Hill.

Anyhow, I though UA pretty much out played Hill in every facet last night. I had the score something like 16/17 to 8. UA played pretty much everyone and rotated and mixed lines both offensively and defensively pretty much every series. Last years returnees played the least (many hardly at all) as freshman and sophomores got most of the minutes; especially on attack and midfield. With so much rotation it was hard to tell if the lines were fixed and who were paired with who. UA's passing at times was sloppy maybe because players were not always paired with familiar lines and UA was NOT very good with ground balls. Most of Hill's scores were a result of these issues in my thoughts; and UA would have even scored more with a little better passing and doing a better job of picking ground balls.

But overall I was very impressed with UA's performance. #9(McComber), #25 (???????), #22 (????????) were freshman offensively who stood out; and #43(Tanner Hay) played good D and got some minutes @ LSM on the face-off wing. Many of the sophomores who saw limited action last year also stood out; and #8 (McGrath) and #12 (Brown) a JR. & SR. with limited minutes in the past look awfully GOOD to me. It will be interesting to see how this group does against Hopkins and Army this weekend.

• Like 2

Speaking of this weekend; from UAlbanySports.com: 

ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany men’s lacrosse program will be hosting the HEADstrong Foundation’s Nick Colleluori Men’s Lacrosse Albany Classic on Saturday, Oct. 13, on the grass fields adjacent to Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.

"In addition to the Great Danes, the four-team tournament includes Johns Hopkins, Vermont and Army. UAlbany will face Johns Hopkins at 11 a.m. and Army at 1 p.m. In other games, Army faces Vermont at 11 a.m., and John Hopkins faces Vermont at 1 p.m.

In lieu of admission, a suggested donation of $5 to the HEADstrong Foundation will be requested at the gate. Parking is available in the Dutch Lot for $10."

This seems to say that neither Casey (Bob Ford Field) nor Fallon Fields will be used. I think if true, it puts UA in a BAD light in our first time HOSTING a "HeadStong Tournament." I know there is a "minor league" football game @ Casey @7pm. There is plenty of time after the lacrosse tournament to get Casey ready for foosb@ll. I am not sure where Fallon is with rehab and do not know if it is playable; but THERE IS NO EXCUSE not to use Bob Ford Field for lacrosse tournament & CHARITY EVENT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Brief report on Hill game. For anyone thinking UA was playing a high school team; Hill is a top notch prep school, probably the best in Canada for lacrosse. It's coach Brodie Merrill is a legend in lacrosse & I believe a former Tewarton winner. Some of the players are high school age; but most are post high school and equivalent to college freshman. Scott Marr's son who we will see Saturday with John Hopkins played a year @ Hill.

Anyhow, I though UA pretty much out played Hill in every facet last night. I had the score something like 16/17 to 8. UA played pretty much everyone and rotated and mixed lines both offensively and defensively pretty much every series. Last years returnees played the least (many hardly at all) as freshman and sophomores got most of the minutes; especially on attack and midfield. With so much rotation it was hard to tell if the lines were fixed and who were paired with who. UA's passing at times was sloppy maybe because players were not always paired with familiar lines and UA was NOT very good with ground balls. Most of Hill's scores were a result of these issues in my thoughts; and UA would have even scored more with a little better passing and doing a better job of picking ground balls.

But overall I was very impressed with UA's performance. #9(McComber), #25 (???????), #22 (????????) were freshman offensively who stood out; and #43(Tanner Hay) played good D and got some minutes @ LSM on the face-off wing. Many of the sophomores who saw limited action last year also stood out; and #8 (McGrath) and #12 (Brown) a JR. & SR. with limited minutes in the past look awfully GOOD to me. It will be interesting to see how this group does against Hopkins and Army this weekend.

We need to get you covering the UA Lacrosse beat!

Hill probably plays more lacrosse than college teams so while not a college team as you described perfectly it is no high school team. I know in past years they have given top college teams all they could handle.

It was definitely mostly the young guys playing last night. #9 is McComber. I don't know who #25 is, but I think Chris Ryan may have changed numbers, and I am pretty sure #22 is Matt Eccles. I liked #43 and #31 on defense, both freshmen. It did get a little sloppy at times, but I chalk that more up to younger guys trying a bit too hard at times to make an impression as I expect we'll see the projected starters for most the of the games this weekend, with the young guys getting a bonus quarter which seems to happen in most of the fall scrimmages.

#25, the mystery player,  looked really quick and was getting separation during the alumni game too. I am pretty sure he isn't a freshmen, and must be someone who changes numbers with Stone graduating or an unknown transfer??

I think I had it 17-8 and you are right with a little cleaner effort, even with mostly the young guys playing it would have been even more of a route.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

41 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Speaking of this weekend; from UAlbanySports.com: 

ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany men’s lacrosse program will be hosting the HEADstrong Foundation’s Nick Colleluori Men’s Lacrosse Albany Classic on Saturday, Oct. 13, on the grass fields adjacent to Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.

"In addition to the Great Danes, the four-team tournament includes Johns Hopkins, Vermont and Army. UAlbany will face Johns Hopkins at 11 a.m. and Army at 1 p.m. In other games, Army faces Vermont at 11 a.m., and John Hopkins faces Vermont at 1 p.m.

In lieu of admission, a suggested donation of $5 to the HEADstrong Foundation will be requested at the gate. Parking is available in the Dutch Lot for $10."

This seems to say that neither Casey (Bob Ford Field) nor Fallon Fields will be used. I think if true, it puts UA in a BAD light in our first time HOSTING a "HeadStong Tournament." I know there is a "minor league" football game @ Casey @7pm. There is plenty of time after the lacrosse tournament to get Casey ready for foosb@ll. I am not sure where Fallon is with rehab and do not know if it is playable; but THERE IS NO EXCUSE not to use Bob Ford Field for lacrosse tournament & CHARITY EVENT.

I heard that there is some sort of requirement that both teams get ample pre game time on the filed. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is the reason I heard no Casey for the scrimmages. I agree, playing this in those grass fields is pretty bush league. 

7 hours ago, Capital District Lax said:

I had the chance to check in with Coach Marr before the Hill Academy scrimmage to talk about Fall Ball and more:

http://capitaldistrictlax.com/2018/10/11/2018-ualbany-fall-ball-check-in-with-scott-marr/

IMG_1063-e1539299539946-1083x509.jpg

Great interview and having been around the team some this fall the group does seem very tight. This weekend will be a good test to see who is stepping up and where the holes are. I am going to most interested in seeing the face off unit, and how the offense is able to get quality shots in 6 v 6 sets. 

I think we are going to surprise on the upside on defense. Hard to replace Troy Reh's overall game, but what I have seen from Gleason at LSM he gives us a lot more size and length in the middle of the field which was sorely missing at times last year. If the cohesion develops this will definitely be the most athletic defense the Danes have ever put on the field. 

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Great interview and having been around the team some this fall the group does seem very tight. This weekend will be a good test to see who is stepping up and where the holes are. I am going to most interested in seeing the face off unit, and how the offense is able to get quality shots in 6 v 6 sets. 

I think we are going to surprise on the upside on defense. Hard to replace Troy Reh's overall game, but what I have seen from Gleason at LSM he gives us a lot more size and length in the middle of the field which was sorely missing at times last year. If the cohesion develops this will definitely be the most athletic defense the Danes have ever put on the field. 

Agree.  GREAT article.  Wish we had more earlier but better late than never I guess!

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t say that was a great way to end fall ball today. You can really see the trickle effect of not having Tehoka against tougher competition as it showed lack of experience and guys not comfortable with having to force the action,

The conditions were not the best on the wet grass, but it was a pretty anemic offensive showing. Goalie play was surprisingly not very good, the face off guys looked good in both games.

We need a lot of growth and development especially at midfield scoring  over the off season and get everyone healthy.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

Not much of a report on this end; fan2018 pretty much has it right-on. If anything, I would be less positive than fan2018. After seeing the first two scrimmages, which were obviously at a different level than yesterday, I was surprised just how poorly UA played Saturday. After seeing them twice in the previous week and being VERY impressed, I expected a better performance Saturday. I arrived near the end of the first half of the Hopkins game and was about three deep. Viewing from field level is NOT ideal as is (you already know my feelings about not having the event @ Casey & Fallon); so my report & assessments may be more flawed than usual:

At these events no one keeps score, because it is "not about winning or losing" {cliche´}. Which is utter nonsense IMHO. The game is all about scoring goals and preventing the other team from doing so. When I got there late, I asked around about the "score". The consensus was it was close at the time with Hopkins up by perhaps one or two. Going with that I would estimate the final as Hop13/12 to UA 8. In stretches, I thought UA looked pretty good; but overall Hop was just superior. I was particularly impressed with hop's D. They are usually noted more for their offense, but they are going to be top 5 or higher if their D plays in the spring like yesterday. But overall I thought UA competed well.

Now, the negative and where I disagree with Scott (see inside lacrosse link above). Against Army we pretty much stunk up the joint. I had the final score at 12-6 and someone commented, it was more like 16/15-6. He could very well be right, but who is keeping score, right? I am certainly NO ONE to contradict coach Marr, but I thought where we at least competed in the hop game,  from my {poor} vantage point; in the Army game we were totally lost. Other thoughts/opinions/assessments; as always totally welcomed!

The Good News Is, a lot of time until Spring to get everyone back and healthy.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Not much of a report on this end; fan2018 pretty much has it right-on. If anything, I would be less positive than fan2018. After seeing the first two scrimmages, which were obviously at a different level than yesterday, I was surprised just how poorly UA played Saturday. After seeing them twice in the previous week and being VERY impressed, I expected a better performance Saturday. I arrived near the end of the first half of the Hopkins game and was about three deep. Viewing from field level is NOT ideal as is (you already know my feelings about not having the event @ Casey & Fallon); so my report & assessments may be more flawed than usual:

At these events no one keeps score, because it is "not about winning or losing" {cliche´}. Which is utter nonsense IMHO. The game is all about scoring goals and preventing the other team from doing so. When I got there late, I asked around about the "score". The consensus was it was close at the time with Hopkins up by perhaps one or two. Going with that I would estimate the final as Hop13/12 to UA 8. In stretches, I thought UA looked pretty good; but overall Hop was just superior. I was particularly impressed with hop's D. They are usually noted more for their offense, but they are going to be top 5 or higher if their D plays in the spring like yesterday. But overall I thought UA competed well.

Now, the negative and where I disagree with Scott (see inside lacrosse link above). Against Army we pretty much stunk up the joint. I had the final score at 12-6 and someone commented, it was more like 16/15-6. He could very well be right, but who is keeping score, right? I am certainly NO ONE to contradict coach Marr, but I thought where we at least competed in the hop game,  from my {poor} vantage point; in the Army game we were totally lost. Other thoughts/opinions/assessments; as always totally welcomed!

The Good News Is, a lot of time until Spring to get everyone back and healthy.

I was going to write something a bit more negative until I remembered how it felt down in Baltimore last fall with similar results, and at least on paper a better team and it all worked out pretty well in the end which is why I looking at the glass half full.

I know Coach Marr keeps things positive, and like you, feel there was a bit more spin in his response than usual to keep things positive, but I truly believe he and the other coaches couldn't have cared less about the score, and everyone was very positive at the post game tailgate. 

No question we will not have the same depth as last year, and it will be very difficult to overcome injuries this year. As I said before with Tehoka out it moved the chairs around in a way where we can't just next man up and everything is more or less ok as it was when Connor and Justin were out last year. It was a totally new attack with Patterson, Diamond, and Cavallo starting, and Justin barely played last year and then Casey filled in. Those two threesomes had never worked together against real competition before, and then that probably weakened us a bit at the 4th attackmen coming out of the box.

I do agree with Marr's cautious or tentative comment. I don't know if they were playing tight or what, but we were asking guys to do things they really hadn't been called upon to do before. Davis has played X before, but this is just my hunch, none of them had really ever had to be the guy with either Tehoka, Justin, or Connor to lean on in a clutch moment.

To compliment a very strong attack group we have had an Osika, McClancy who could get their own shot when they had too, and I am not sure we have that guy on the roster right now from the midfield.  That to me is the most troubling thing coming out of the fall. I think the coaches were giving the younger middies a chance to prove something and midfield shooting has to improve. We couldn't hit the broad side of a barn yesterday.

Assuming Tehoka is OK health wise, that moves one of the other attack guys to the offensive midfield, and one of the freshmen who I heard was having a nice fall got hurt right before the Alumni game so he was out.

The positives I took away were that both FOGO's more than held their own, with Gleason and Hay at LSM we may or may not have the offensive punch we had with Troy, but we are bigger and longer. Athletically we didn't have guys blowing by us which was positive as well on defense. The defense is going to need the ability to push out and pressure and I think we have 6 plus guys who can play that way.

I really think if the coaches had been trying to win you would have seen a lot fewer guys play and especially against Army mostly the young guys played.

• Like 1