UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[FB] Game #3: 9/15/18 - 7:00pm - vs Morgan State

Last Up: L (45-26) @ Rhode Island
Next Up: vs Morgan State (0-2)
TV/Streaming: UAlbanySports
Local Radio: N/A

So, after a decent end to the Pitt game (held them scoreless in the 2nd half after a bad first half), UAlbany laid an utterly disgusting egg against URI in week 2. It was ugly. Rock bottom type of ugly.

Supposedly, we will be playing Gattuso' 'system' in week 3 (not sure what system we were employing the first 2 weeks) but being that this is the first home game, the system better work or NO ONE is going to come back to watch another game. Hell, I'm a die hard and I might not give the 2018 team another chance until they do something with the staff.

IMO this game is a must win.
Edited by Eli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

You guys are something else!!!!  really! Nuff said!  I am done with your negativity!! So long!

Don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya.

(for real though, sorry we can't all be positive when the team is getting drubbed every game...remember, we are 1-8 in our last 9...I don't understand how you can spin ANYTHING as a positive here knowing that)

Edited by Eli

7 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

You guys are something else!!!!  really! Nuff said!  I am done with your negativity!! So long!

Listen.  Everyone on this board , myself included,  loves the Danes and hope's they win every game in every sport. I will venture to say most on here are multi season ticket holders that donate hundreds if not thousands of dollars to the school.  

I for one love your updates and posts and hope u continue them . However Coach G is a disaster. No game plan. Several mistakes and that's on him. The problem is , he never thinks it's on him. 

100 percent of us this board hope we wins the next 12 games and wins the national championship, but even you need to admit we r not getting better. and maybe getting worse. I for one can see it in the defense scheme and again thats on him, not the players and that's what makes me extremely upset. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the defensive coaches instituted a new defensive scheme/play call system? I’m not astute enough to figure that out just by watching. There was a change in defensive leadership to Dud and He Who Shall Not Be Named so I was just wondering. I could understand some offensive growing pains due to the new OC and QB and yet they are seemingly much more in sync than the D. 

As I have mentioned, I try to take the long view and not any individual game as a marker. Does anyone recall the drubbing at home by Wagner the game that Drew Smith was suspended? The team was just deflated and flat. But the body of evidence for me is that there are some serious deficiencies in recruiting, instruction, motivation and coach selection that are adding up to a definite downward trend. Yes, there’s still time for the team to turn it around in 2018. I just don’t see the building blocks of that, but I hope they prove me wrong. As for Gattuso, five years are enough to show whether you can do the job for the UA. Major progress throughout the season and a solid winning record are the only things that could show me he might deserve a 6th year and even then I would be skeptical. To me, that’s analytical and realistic, but not negative. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

As for Gattuso, five years are enough to show whether you can do the job for the UA. Major progress throughout the season and a solid winning record are the only things that could show me he might deserve a 6th year and even then I would be skeptical. To me, that’s analytical and realistic, but not negative. 

IMO, even if he doesn't win a single game this year, I don't see how UA could eat that contract they gave him. He's in year 1 of a 5 year deal. How many coaches get fired in that situation? Only way I can see it happen is if Benson somehow manages to move some money from other areas into a 'coaching change' bucket without adversely affecting fans (raising ticket prices, etc.)...but we need money for a TON of other stuff (multiple new facilities).

I don't see Gattuso getting fired until year 4. So we're in this for the long haul.

As Click said in another thread...it sucks to speak so cavalierly about someones livelihood and I'm sure GG is a good guy off the field but on the field...ugh.

Edited by Eli

25 minutes ago, Eli said:

IMO, even if he doesn't win a single game this year, I don't see how UA could eat that contract they gave him. He's in year 1 of a 5 year deal. How many coaches get fired in that situation? Only way I can see it happen is if Benson somehow manages to move some money from other areas into a 'coaching change' bucket without adversely affecting fans (raising ticket prices, etc.)...but we need money for a TON of other stuff (multiple new facilities).

I don't see Gattuso getting fired until year 4. So we're in this for the long haul.

As Click said in another thread...it sucks to speak so cavalierly about someones livelihood and I'm sure GG is a good guy off the field but on the field...ugh.

You’re absolutely right.... senior moment. I had it in my head that he’s in year 5 of a 5 year deal, extended through 2019. So ughhh...we are stuck whether we like him or not. May as well support him. But then it goes to what the hell was Benson thinking with that extension? To speak to the latter part, I’ve met him at an official function as well as bumped into him casually...we live maybe 5 miles apart. I’ve spoken to Mrs G maybe 3 times as she was wrangling Blitz around Casey and SEFCU lot. Both he and his wife are gracious and nice folks. No ill will wished whatsoever. Just thinking about our football program. 

Edited by jimbo

12 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

We're something else? Negativity? How you can continue to make excuses for this guy is really a rare skill. It's clear to everyone that HE has no idea what he's doing. HE doesn't know what he's doing on the recruiting trail, HIS defense is a disaster, HIS coaching is non-existent, HIS results on the field or lack-of are there for all to see. But it's US who are being negative. 

They are getting beat week in and week out like a rented mule, this guy is batting .111 in the last 9 games and you continue to insult this board that WE are the problem. 

Thats quite amazing!!!!

Edited by Clickclack

2 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

And like it or not, the football program still moves the economic needle when it comes to funding a lot of the athletic budget. 

i'm not sure i believe this.  There's not much revenue with football.  Yes there are ticket sales and donations but i doubt that comes close to servicing the debt for the stadium.  The guarantee games probably cover some of the remaining operating expenses but 63 scholarships is expensive.

I'd guess that basketball provides more revenue with their guarantee games, NCAA tournament shares... 

2 hours ago, Eli said:

That's why I've repeatedly stated that Benson is a fool for giving him that extension. He had an out to walk away for NOTHING and threw it away. 

As a result, this continued crappy state of the program will remain the defacto reality for the next half decade plus however long it takes the next coach to rebuild what's left/burned to the ground. In the next 4 years there will be no buyout.

It's been made pretty clear in every sport at every level, you either have it or you don't. It doesn't take a decade to be relevant if the right people are running things. 

- Greg Gattuso has managed to compile a record of 21-26 at Albany - 45% winning %. 

- Greg Gattuso has managed to compile a record of 11-22 in the CAA - 33% winning %

- He has never had a winning season in the CAA, he managed a .500 season ONCE

- He has never made the playoffs

- In the CAA, In the first 3 years he went 9-15 in the CAA, 38% winning percentage, mostly with Fords recruits, the last two years have been entirely his own roster, he's managed to go 2-7 and counting with his own recruits...22%

- I know from reading the recruiting threads you wouldn't know it but recruiting is a joke, they are not recruiting CAA level players/athletes, when they get on the field with CAA kids it's obvious. Problems start there...

- He continues to shuffle failing coaches around like some Catholic diocese in an attempt to hide them instead of dealing head on with failing coaches. This point speaks DIRECTLY to his lack of leadership and warped priorities. 

It's plain to see the program is bottoming out, will be interesting to see if they can win a single CAA game this year. They won't be favored in a single CAA game, home or away. If they don't win the next two against REALLY bad competition in Morgan St. and St. Francis PA, there is a VERY strong possibility they go winless on the season. Think about that! I'm sure they will find a way to steal one or two caa games somewhere unless they do what they did last year and take GG's lead and turn on each other. 

Like I said, it's a mess...pray they win the next 2. It's true, the season is still young and maybe they find a spark but I don't see it. They have completely embarrassed themselves and this school at URI. They were beaten and dominated to such a scary degree that you'd think it was a D2 team going up against Ohio St. 

Edited by Clickclack

I know one thing...they better win the next two home games or I won't be back in 2018. I'd much rather enjoy the comforts of my home and watch a loss than sit in cold bleachers with a hot chocolate in hand trying to muscle through another loss (although chatting with Jimbo is always a pleasure hah).

Edited by Eli
  • Haha 1