Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eli

[FB] Game #4: 9/22/18 - 7:00pm - vs St. Francis (PA)

Recommended Posts

This offense with last year's defense is an 8 win team.  I actually REALLY like Davis' play calling and Holmes is gonna be CAA Rookie of the Year and a joy to watch for the next four years.  There's a lot of really good talent on the WR corp.  Perhaps take one of these guys and convert to a CB with that speed?

That being said, the defensive play calling is atrocious.  Guys playing 5-10 yards off on obvious passing downs and ZERO pass rush except for a few flashes by Mencer and 31.  Also seeing VERY little in the way of blitzes.  Where's Mazon Walker? Has he broken the rotation? 

I realize that they are now down to the 4th teamer in the secondary, but that's just rough play there.  The bright side is that St. Francis has a pre-season All America WR, so it's not like these guys were stiffs on the SF O.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were taking about Holmes at the game. The thought is that he's so good he might get poached by a bigger program. No guarantee he sticks around for 4 years. 

But yeah, another so so win which leaves a lot to be desired in the confidence department. We're gonna get out doors blown off in the CAA and our offense which is putting up decent numbers won't be able to keep up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take -without reading anything already posted - The  Offense is much improved as I thought they would be.  NO the interception was NOT VT's fault.  No 72 Clancy was playing tackle on that play and did a nose dive at the feet of the DE who stepped over him and hit VT as he released the ball.

On Defense we HAVE to get the DL to play better!!  They are overmatched - not sure why the constant rotation,  54 Walker is just too small  gets pushed around a LOT.  Not enough pressure up front causes all kinds of issues,  puts pressure on the LB's and the secondary.  I wish they would not use the zone 90% of the time.  Our secondary starters (because of the injuries) are short 5'8" and 5'9" and when a team has tall receivers they get out jumped.  Happened on the fade passes to the deep sideline and corner endzones all the time.   The one near the end of the game on the far sideline is a perfect example.  Our two guys were ON it BUT he outjumped them and caught the ball.  I thought this was the case and the replay showed it clearly.  We seemed to do better the few times we went man.  Hit them at the LOS and it screws up the timing on those fades.  Got to tackle the little RB's better too.   

Our cover teams have to do better, OBVIOUSLY.  The kicks to the 10-15 yd line don't matter much IF we cover.  They get it at the 25 anyway on a TB.

 

Sorry Click but I do NOT look at this during the game.  I watch the game!!!!!  I check on my computer when I get home.  AGAIN,  being constantly negative does not help.   The D did start to step up in the 4th!

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good offensive game for the most part. I have no idea where you even start with this defense. 

 

They are bad at every level and position. I know we lost two safetys but what excuse is there for these terrible line backers... Most of them are brutal except for mencer who's just OK. The corners are rediculously bad... it's not getting better. Still so many poor tackles... It's hard to watch. 

 

For the life of my I don't understand why they play off the wr 10 yards at the line. Even when they play that far off they are still getting murdered on long throws. Why do we have an entire roster of small, slow corners... Who's recruiting the secondary? They won't fix this this year... The talent not there. 

They have no edge rushers except I think 31...they struggle to put any pressure or penetration. This program is in a bad spot... 5 years in and they have no depth, no talent all over the place. Brutal... 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Good offensive game for the most part. I have no idea where you even start with this defense. 

 

They are bad at every level and position. I know we lost two safetys but what excuse is there for these terrible line backers... Most of them are brutal except for mencer who's just OK. The corners are rediculously bad... I don't it's not getting better. 

Not true. Terrible LB's  WHAT!!!  They did a very good job most of the game.  Got to tackle a little better but certainly NOT terrible.  It starts with the DL getting more pressure , when they get pushed off the line and 3 yards deep it affects WHAT the LB's can do, affects their slide, affects them getting to the ball or a gap even.  ALSO as I said, getting away from the zone secondary coverage and the 7-9 yard cushion.  They could go to a zone on the weak side and man on the strong side / wide side.   I look at things more from a coaches eye I guess than a strictly fan's eye.

Going to bed.  Got an early event tomorrow after church

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Not true. Terrible LB's  WHAT!!!  They did a very good job most of the game.  Got to tackle a little better but certainly NOT terrible.  It starts with the DL getting more pressure , when they get pushed off the line and 3 yards deep it affect WHAT the LB's can do, affect their slide, affect them getting to the ball.  ALSO as I said, getting away from the zone secondary coverage and the 7-9 yard cushion.  They could go to a zone on the weak side and man on the strong side or wide side. 

Lb sitting in zone  were beat a bunch of times... They barely ever blitz and when they do they can't generate any push... D line is completely ineffective... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Lb sitting in zone  were beat a bunch of times... They barely ever blitz and when they do they can't generate any push... D line is completely ineffective... 

Just wrong on LB play. Period!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like #44 Damico a lot.  Wasn't originally a starter, but has filled in admirably.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Just wrong on LB play. Period!!  

Yes yes we know... You're the expert... I give the lb a solid C today maybe terrible was to strong. Secondary a resounding F-, d line a D

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Just wrong on LB play. Period!!  

Your annoying. "Period!!"

I'm in agreement on the LBs. How many times did they get burned over the middle of the field? That has ZERO to do with the DL or their push. When our LBs are dropping into coverage, they are not making the adjustments necessary to pass guys off (in zone) or can't keep up with guys (in man to man) causing plays over the middle. Seriously dude...for someone who claims to know a crap ton about football you don't understand defense 101. Did you play on special teams only or something?

Edited by Eli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit, where credit is due: VT NFL QB rating against SFSU was 119.79. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Credit, where credit is due: VT NFL QB rating against SFSU was 119.79. 

The second int wasn't his fault... I thought he played well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT had a much better outing this week. Key has to continue to be to get the ball into our playmaker's hands because we are going to have to score 35-42 points every week to be competitive in league games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a reprint of a thought/idea I wrote in the lacrosse thread. It was originally intended to be written here after our "exciting" win last night against our former Northeast Conference opponent. Here is the idea:  RETURN TO THE NORTHEAST CONFERENCE! 

 

Speaking of revenue distribution, I will be posting an idea in the football thread that UA return to the Northeast Conference. I certainly DO NOT have any power to enact such an idea; and I know the idea will be SLAMMED!  But I just do not see the projected attendance and revenue growth predicted by jumping to the caa. I certainly have not seen winning football at that level.

I do not know the number$, but believe we could SAVE considerable monies by returning to the Northeast conference with less scholarships and less travel. In the NE we would compete EVERY YEAR for an automatic ncaa bid. In 5 years in the caa we have never even sniffed the auto bid (and may never or seldom) and have only once had a shot @ the 2-3 at large bids that the caa potentially offers. The "national exposure" loss by our caa departure would be more than made up by spreading the monies saved/gained around to other sports {lacrosse particularly.} I admit my lacrosse bias, but even if we allocated all the saving into basketball, it would be better spent than what we waste (IMHO) on caa football.

 

GO AHEAD START SLAMMING.
 

Edited by dslyank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Here is a reprint of a thought/idea I wrote in the lacrosse thread. It was originally intended to be written here after our "exciting" win last night against our former Northeast Conference opponent. Here is the idea:  RETURN TO THE NORTHEAST CONFERENCE! 

 

Speaking of revenue distribution, I will be posting an idea in the football thread that UA return to the Northeast Conference. I certainly DO NOT have any power to enact such an idea; and I know the idea will be SLAMMED!  But I just do not see the projected attendance and revenue growth predicted by jumping to the caa. I certainly have not seen winning football at that level.

I do not know the number$, but believe we could SAVE considerable monies by returning to the Northeast conference with less scholarships and less travel. In the NE we would compete EVERY YEAR for an automatic ncaa bid. In 5 years in the caa we have never even sniffed the auto bid (and may never or seldom) and have only once had a shot @ the 2-3 at large bids that the caa potentially offers. The "national exposure" loss by our caa departure would be more than made up by spreading the monies saved/gained around to other sports {lacrosse particularly.} I admit my lacrosse bias, but even if we allocated all the saving into basketball, it would be better spent than what we waste (IMHO) on caa football.

 

GO AHEAD START SLAMMING.
 

I truly dont hate it. To me it's either go ALL IN with atheltics or not . This half ass stuff is bs. I have no idea what happens behind the scenes but all we heard was that Benson was a fundraising guru. Last check we were still behind Siena. I for one are not seeing the monetary growth needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×