UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football, athletics resources (moved)

dslyank

My question is, did moving to the CAA get Albany the funds for the new stadium? If that was not the case, I don't get the move to the CAA unless we planned to move FBS one day. There'd probably be no difference if we had stayed in the NEC except we may have had a chance for another playoff appearance.

Edited by UA'08
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kikuria said:

We're Not Dead Yet .. at least according to Coach G - https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-13339283.php

This should be in the FB forum but...dude is delusional. We're deader than a door nail lol.

Left unsaid was that it didn't end well for the man in the movie, who shortly met his demise at the business end of a club.

Typical Gattuso lol. Didn't quite think that one through (the Monty analogy).

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

Dane 96,

Getting the NEC/caa topic out of basketball.

My facts are NOT wrong -- maybe only OFF. You say so yourself. So the issue is not whether we would save money by returning to the nec; but HOW MUCH we would save. I continue to disagree with you using scholarship # comparisons which are NOT apples to apples. I am willing to grant to your expertise on how much is being saved, even though I feel it is more than you claim. 

But whether the amount is small like you say or larger like I believe, you and others continue to ignore several issues.

The  Athletic department most definitely has money issues, TITLE IX issues, FACILITY issues and allocation of resources issues. Any saving at all by returning to the nec, would/could impact all of these issues. I never once said it was the answer or panacea to any or all. You and others claim "Coaching" not money is the issue. While I most definitely agree Coaching is a major issue. How much are you willing to spend to get out of the current coaching issue and than how much to invest on new coaches and rebuilding a devastated program. Hand in hand with the coaching issue is the Recruiting issue. Will new staff be able to overcome the geographical and historical recruiting deficiency we most definitely have as a caa member.

My suggestion/thoughts (which all it was) of returning to the nec. is/was about saving a little/some money and COMPETING and having a better more competitive FAN experience. I am a FAN and will be there today, and for Volleyball tomorrow and for basketball soon and for Lacrosse Men's & Women spring time. It would be nice if our title IX issues would be corrected, our facilities upgraded, resources provided fairly to all and yes to watch and support a competitive football team.

21 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Dane 96,

Getting the NEC/caa topic out of basketball.

My facts are NOT wrong -- maybe only OFF. You say so yourself. So the issue is not whether we would save money by returning to the nec; but HOW MUCH we would save. I continue to disagree with you using scholarship # comparisons which are NOT apples to apples. I am willing to grant to your expertise on how much is being saved, even though I feel it is more than you claim. 

But whether the amount is small like you say or larger like I believe, you and others continue to ignore several issues.

The  Athletic department most definitely has money issues, TITLE IX issues, FACILITY issues and allocation of resources issues. Any saving at all by returning to the nec, would/could impact all of these issues. I never once said it was the answer or panacea to any or all. You and others claim "Coaching" not money is the issue. While I most definitely agree Coaching is a major issue. How much are you willing to spend to get out of the current coaching issue and than how much to invest on new coaches and rebuilding a devastated program. Hand in hand with the coaching issue is the Recruiting issue. Will new staff be able to overcome the geographical and historical recruiting deficiency we most definitely have as a caa member.

My suggestion/thoughts (which all it was) of returning to the nec. is/was about saving a little/some money and COMPETING and having a better more competitive FAN experience. I am a FAN and will be there today, and for Volleyball tomorrow and for basketball soon and for Lacrosse Men's & Women spring time. It would be nice if our title IX issues would be corrected, our facilities upgraded, resources provided fairly to all and yes to watch and support a competitive football team.

What if the next guy comes in... Rebuilds and is winning big? Where would you rather be? So while ub is killing it at their level... Sbu is doing very well at their level. You are willing to concede that ualbany should be a few steps below them? Where would you rather be winning in the caa or NEC? Is this even a question? There is NO reason why Albany can't win in the caa other then a rediculously unqualified and proven loser head coach. Fire him and in two years we are probably not having this conversation. 

This is how you then get things like only they are two flagships or where they demand the lions share of state support while Albany and some of its fans continue to shoot themselves in the foot? 

The title IX is another reason why Benson needs to be fired... That was an entirely self inflicted wound. Did he not know the status of title IX compliance at Albany? And if he didn't, why not... And if he did and still went forward with the plan to cancel a woman's program thus unleashing an angry coach and players who then sued then he is dumber then even we can comprehend. These things are his responsibility to know and manage... He failed. What exactly has he accomplished at UA? Where is the sefcu renovation? He was billed as a master fundraiser...crickets. He want and extended a coach who showed very little ability to win at this level. His department is a mess with rediculously poor policies and procedures (bag and seat rental), below hs level communication with fans that is anything but timely, title 9 issues no facility upgrades in sight. 

Congrats on gdac which appears to be going well but he's batting about .100 as an AD.

Benson has been terrible for UA sports... It's about time people start taking a long hard look at him. Not good enough... Not nearly good enough. No one said it would be easy but it's uncanny just how badly he's done. 

Edited by Clickclack

Clack, Just curious how many caa championships does brook have since joining the caa? How many ncaa appearance out of he caa for brook?  Question 1 definitely--zero; and almost positive 1 or none for Q2. Like us they have been mostly a bottom dweller in the caa. As for UB, in all their FBS years, maybe 2-3 bowls, maybe not even? In basketball, pretty sure less the UA's FIVE appearances, in a much longer DI history. 

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Clack, Just curious how many caa championships does brook have since joining the caa? How many ncaa appearance out of he caa for brook?  Question 1 definitely--zero; and almost positive 1 or none for Q2. Like us they have been mostly a bottom dweller in the caa. As for UB, in all their FBS years, maybe 2-3 bowls, maybe not even? In basketball, pretty sure less the UA's FIVE appearances, in a much longer DI history. 

Much better leagues and levels for both sports at ub... I vehemently disagree with your race to the bottom in an effort to pin banners no one gives a crap about. 

Not to mention that drastic hit to recruiting etc. Please don't tell me that UA in the NEC is gonna have a chance to recruit with top of the caa, they won't... The entertainment value will drop. You are judging everything by one failed/loser coach. Fire him and make a good hire... 

This conversation is exactly what I mean when I say Gattuso is burning this program to the ground on every front. We now have people pinning for the NEC.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:54 PM, Clickclack said:

Sbu is doing very well at their level. You are willing to concede that ualbany should be a few steps below them? Where would you rather be winning in the caa or NEC? Is this even a question?

Clack, Of course I would rather be winning in the caa than the nec. But I would also rather be winning in the nec than losing in the caa. Also your statement that brook is doing well in the caa, simply does not compute. Additionally, Priori has been rumored on the chopping block ever since they joined the league. In fact, at one point he was definitely out, until a scandal got the athletic director's head, saving Priori's job.

From what I've seen the last 5 years, I still feel our chances of making the ncaa tournament, year in and year out, are better in the nec, than in the caa. Of course bad coaching is a major part of that. But as I've said before and you seem to ignore, we have a distinct disadvantage geographically and historically recruiting caa talent. Better coaching will only partially negate the historic and geographic issues that most definitely exist in the caa.

Edited by dslyank

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Clack, Of course I would rather be winning in the caa than the nec. But I would also rather be winning in the nec than losing in the caa. Also your statement that brook is doing well in the caa, simply does not compute. Additionally, Priori has been rumored on the chopping block ever since they joined the league. In fact, at one point he was definitely out, until a scandal got the athletic director's head, saving Priori's job.

From what I've seen the last 5 years, I still feel our chances of making the ncaa tournament, year in and year out, are better in the nec, than in the caa. Of course bad coaching is a major part of that. But as I've said before and you seem to ignore, we have a distinct disadvantage geographically and historically recruiting caa talent. Better coaching will only partially negate the historic and geographic issues that most definitely exist in the caa.

I don't agree on the NEC. We are better off in the CAA. We all wanted this move and now that we've had a rough start we want to move back?  I wouldn't rather make to the playoffs and lose every year with NEC than make it less often but have a chance to make some noise with CAA talent. That is the key though, getting CAA talent. Recruit better players, have better coaching and it will happen. It's tough, sure but being good in a lower end conference gets tiring after a while. 

On the America east board there is talk about stony brook trying to move up in conference (football and otherwise ). I dont have an account over there but I just dont understand.  WE HAVE THE MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER ATHLETIC PROGRAM. See the commissioner cup over the last decade. The reason siena has not moved to the Atlantic 10 is not basketball. Its because they absolutely suck in almost every sport. 

We have absolutely outgrown the America East. Our atheltic program as a whole is outstanding and it baffles my mind why we are not exploiting this more.  Between us and stony brook it's really not that close. WE SHOULD BE THE ONES MOVING WAY UP IN CONFERENCE.  It's amazing it is not brought up more. That's the one question I would love to ask Benson if I could and get an honest answer. 

32 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

On the America east board there is talk about stony brook trying to move up in conference (football and otherwise ). I dont have an account over there but I just dont understand.  WE HAVE THE MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER ATHLETIC PROGRAM. See the commissioner cup over the last decade. The reason siena has not moved to the Atlantic 10 is not basketball. Its because they absolutely suck in almost every sport. 

We have absolutely outgrown the America East. Our atheltic program as a whole is outstanding and it baffles my mind why we are not exploiting this more.  Between us and stony brook it's really not that close. WE SHOULD BE THE ONES MOVING WAY UP IN CONFERENCE.  It's amazing it is not brought up more. That's the one question I would love to ask Benson if I could and get an honest answer. 

But they have more $$

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, alum73 said:

But they have more $$

This right here.  SBU has more money coming in that UA. Sad to say it but it's true. I would love for us to move up to the CAA in all sports but I just don't see it happening. I think Brown and staff can recruit at that level and compete.