UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football, athletics resources (moved)

dslyank

• 4 weeks later...

The fire Gattuso and/or Benson thread seems to be still going strong over on Fall/football etc. But I decided to post my comments here as more than football is at stake. See Clacks negative assessment of football, title IX, facilities ALL right-on. In Clack's post, he does give props to Benson on GDAC and I also agree with him there; but he says Benson is hard to judge overall because COMMUNICATIONS on facilities, resource allocations, title IX are pretty much non-existent. And here-in rests my biggest concerns. Does Benson think the title IX issues are just going to evaporate???? Everything is always such a big secret?? Going back to the "bag and stadium seat" fiasco; a committee of administrators, students, fans, community leaders, campus police, etc. could have avoided so much embarrassment and BAD feelings. 

On these larger issues of coaching concerns , title IX, facilities, and resource management; COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY/FAN INVOLVEMENT are even more vital!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Follow up to my posting on Volleyball. I know most on this blog do not follow Volleyball; but how can the dismissal of a head coach of a very successful sports program at the University go totally un-noticed by the major sports blog associated with UA. Considering we are already under a title IX investigation, you would think a "CHANGE" in a women's sport head coach would have garnered some notice somewhere. I know this blog is NOT officially affiliated in any way with the University; but someone official does monitor this thing, and some of Mr. Benson's actions need to be questioned. What the heck is he HIDING??????????????????????????????

13 hours ago, alum73 said:

How would a change in a head coach affect title 9 concerns?

I am not saying it does. The secrecy of the change and total lack of explanation and publicity is disturbing on several levels. I was/am a fan of coach Engstrom and fully respect her privacy; but a statement more than "University at Albany Volleyball Head Coach, MJ Engstrom, will not return for next season, announced Athletic Director Mark Benson today." would certainly seem in order. 

Given a perceived lack of accountability and almost total unresponsiveness on the Title IX situation and response; I am simply questioning a pattern here?????

I'm probably a lot older than you,  so I've seen many persons who have 'resigned', left, moved on, etc. without explanation or much notice.  This has happened at organizations I've worked at and at many other universities.  We've had at least one AD 'leave' with no explanation.   It's pretty common.  I'm sure most of us have seen this a lot. 

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

I am not saying it does. The secrecy of the change and total lack of explanation and publicity is disturbing on several levels. I was/am a fan of coach Engstrom and fully respect her privacy; but a statement more than "University at Albany Volleyball Head Coach, MJ Engstrom, will not return for next season, announced Athletic Director Mark Benson today." would certainly seem in order. 

Given a perceived lack of accountability and almost total unresponsiveness on the Title IX situation and response; I am simply questioning a pattern here?????

Maybe she wanted to keep her leaving quiet.  Ever think of that concept?  You’re crusade has blinded your thoughts.  

Alum73, sorry if I had a similar handle it would be alum71; so I think I outdate you a little and have never seen a UA administration as closed mouth and reticent as our current AD. I am pretty sure you have/had a closer and more official association with the university than me much, and I appreciate your response; but I am more disappointed in many ways with the current athletic administration than I have ever before.

Edited by dslyank

19 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Maybe she wanted to keep her leaving quiet.  Ever think of that concept?  You’re crusade has blinded your thoughts.  

I fully respect her privacy and in no way would want to interfere especially for someone I've admired and respect. Just saying the university could have handled it better. Hiding her departure is futile and does nothing for her privacy desire if that is what she requested. IMHO it actually does the opposite. Hiding leads to suspicions, innuendo and gossip. An appropriate endorsement and publication would be more private and respectful than the way it and the new hiring was handled. I know for a fact that she is a Minnesota girl. Even saying she was missing home and family would have been a more appropriate response than saying nothing. Coaches come and go all the time and everywhere for any number of reasons. I'm not saying lie or make something up, but saying nothing accomplishes nothing and certainly saying nothing does NOT guarantee privacy.

Edited by dslyank

Any institution needs to be concerned about confidentiality regarding personnel affairs. The University could get into a lot of legal trouble if it divulged certain information about the status of an employee. This scenario is particularly true if the employee has to leave the institution at the institution's discretion. I'm not saying this scenario is the case because there are too many variables. I am sorry that Engstrom is no longer employed by UA because I liked the successful record she accrued, but I have to reserved judgment on the whole situation.

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Alum73, sorry if I had a similar handle it would be alum71; so I think I outdate you a little and have never seen a UA administration as closed mouth and reticent as our current AD. I am pretty sure you have/had a closer and more official association with the university than me much, and I appreciate your response; but I am more disappointed in many ways with the current athletic administration than I have ever before.

Maybe you outdated me, but I went to ualbany after a stint in the navy.  I could have been alum69 had I gone straight from high school.

73 OK you are a little older and I know you have had an official relationship with the University. I was only  correcting your assertion that you were "a lot older" than me.

Regardless of age and your official capacity, I still must disagree with both you and Olddog;  saying nothing and hiding what little is published is not an optimal way to protect someones privacy. And it certainly does not pay her the homage she deserves. My posts on this thread are because I am incensed on how poorly she has been treated! Yet all everyone wants to do is accuse me of invading her privacy. You are all welcome to your opinions on whether the University handled the departure and new hiring, well or not. But please do not accuse me of anything other than wanting the best for coach Engstrom and asking that she should be acknowledged for her OUTSTANDING career as UA Women's Volleyball Coach!

Edited by dslyank

14 hours ago, dslyank said:

73 OK you are a little older and I know you have had an official relationship with the University. I was only  correcting your assertion that you were "a lot older" than me.

Regardless of age and your official capacity, I still must disagree with both you and Olddog;  saying nothing and hiding what little is published is not an optimal way to protect someones privacy. And it certainly does not pay her the homage she deserves. My posts on this thread are because I am incensed on how poorly she has been treated! Yet all everyone wants to do is accuse me of invading her privacy. You are all welcome to your opinions on whether the University handled the departure and new hiring, well or not. But please do not accuse me of anything other than wanting the best for coach Engstrom and asking that she should be acknowledged for her OUTSTANDING career as UA Women's Volleyball Coach!

Ummmm...your first sentence in the second paragraph IS THE LAW.  Yes, for a fact.  You clearly don't work closely with a major HR department of an organization.  Where was your complaining when Marr was given a crap contract a few years ago, btw. Or when Mueller has to fundraise to keep a baseball program an actual sport at UA. 

We get it...you have a gender based TITLE IX issue with the school, and that is fair that you have that opinion. 

However, unless you are privy to facts (which most of us are certainly are not), you are implying that the school has acted nefariously with her separation.  You are creating fire...when there may no even be kindling.

Edited by Dane96

6 hours ago, Dane96 said:

We get it...you have a gender based TITLE IX issue with the school, and that is fair that you have that opinion. 

96,  Man you have it 100% wrong. You are right, in that I have a Title IX issue. I think it is a ridiculous law and if you had read my previous posts on the matter, I have repeatedly said Title IX was never intended to be applied to athletics. I barely follow women's sports of any kind; other than, sorry but I like Volleyball. I have not even been to a woman's basketball game in almost two years. I love Scott Marr and if I had known about his crap contract, I would be certainly on attack on this blog.Here-in lies my issue, LACK OF COMMUNICATION. My issue with this administration has zero to do with Title IX in of itself; it has to do how they operate in a closet, try to bury issues and hope they will go away, and have little or NO communication with the community and/or their fan base. I have repeatedly posted on this blog how issues of allocation of resources, facilities, strategic plans and yes even coaching decisions should have INPUT from students, fans, politicians and the community. And of course people have the right to privacy, but privacy is NOT enhanced when communication is lacking, squashed or FALSE. 

Think you missed my point all together.  It’s the law that you don’t speak of someone’s separation unless thy are ok with it.  

So...without knowing the reasoning as to why they made no announcement, you shouldn’t chastise the athletic department or imply  that something afoot here.  

The law I referred to was not title 9.  Believe me...I’m not a huge proponent of the way the department operates.  On this one...I’ll give the benefit of doubt.  

Edited by Dane96