Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Question I don’t know the answer too in terms of dollars and cents and the ability to jettison the coaching staff? 

Is the cost to fire the staff greater than the revenue we could gain through tickets sales, concessions, etc...

My impression that is a check we can’t cash.

That's my sense as well... About 1.2 owed if they don't negotiate a buy out... Even if they do... Albany isn't gonna pay him off 750k for instance even if he would take that big a cut. He knows he's got Benson in the bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of today, this guy has a winning % of 31% in the CAA and dropping and yet he continues to be employed. If there was a favorable termination clause we are now in the realm of fire mid-season. 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here's my comment on the tweet:

1) If this is the most talented team we've had...we are still not recruiting talented enough kids (I am not so sure this is the case, to be frank).  Because our "most talented" CAA team is barely squeaking by bad NEC and MEAC teams.

2) If this is the most talented team we've had...then clearly, it's a coaching problem since the kids aren't getting everything out of their god-given talents.

In either event, it is time to move on from this staff.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just leave this here...got bored today.

2013 = First year in CAA (expected to be bad)
2016 = Some of Fords kids are now matured (our best year under Dumbtusso)
2018 = No more Ford kids

Note: Middle column should say '2016'...copy and paste went poorly lol.


UAlbany-CAAStats.png

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Well, here's my comment on the tweet:

1) If this is the most talented team we've had...we are still not recruiting talented enough kids (I am not so sure this is the case, to be frank).  Because our "most talented" CAA team is barely squeaking by bad NEC and MEAC teams.

2) If this is the most talented team we've had...then clearly, it's a coaching problem since the kids aren't getting everything out of their god-given talents.

In either event, it is time to move on from this staff.

Not the best quote for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Eli said:

I'll just leave this here.

2013 = First year in CAA (expected to be bad)
2016 = Some of Fords kids are now upper classmen
2018 = No more Ford kids

Note: Onside kick stat is bogus...fact is we've never had anything good happen for or against us as far as onside kicks go.

UAlbany-CAAStats.png

It's not his fault, it's injuries, youth, moon and stars, not his game plan, next week will really be his game plan...please note, this may be the weakest overall schedule we've ever had in the CAA and we are going to end up with 2 maybe 3 wins. LMAO!!!! STAY POSITIVE...He takes no responsibility for tough times or loses, please credit only the wins. 

 

BTW, is this team executing his game plan now or is it still someone else's? 

 

kojT1BP.gif

 

Just wait 'till next year, ye of little faith, they will have even more talent, proven QB's etc. It's gonna be awesome. 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, that image says it all. We've regressed hard in two years since his kids became the starters. We are in the lower tier of CAA teams in stats as a whole more now than we were in 2013 or 2016 (especially 2016).

Granted, we still have like 5 games left...but we're far enough into the season to see the trend. I will update that spreadsheet at the end of 2018 to see how it really shook out...my guess it'll hold the pattern it has now.

There is no other way to spin it but that the coach is bad. HOF won't come in here to look at the spreadsheet because he's probably avoiding this thread like the plague due to its title, but I'd love for him to try defending ANYTHING on that image.

Edited by Eli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eli said:

I mean, that image says it all. We've regressed hard in two years since his kids became the starters. We are in the lower tier of CAA teams in stats as a whole more now than we were in 2013 or 2016 (especially 2016).

Granted, we still have like 5 games left...but we're far enough into the season to see the trend. I will update that spreadsheet at the end of 2018 to see how it really shook out...my guess it'll hold the pattern it has now.

4 of the next 5 are against playoff teams or winning CAA teams; the cupcake part of the schedule is over...now that's scary! Before this thing winds down this will get even worse. 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on bowing out of the conversation in the football forum altogether. Going with the "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" bit. I've probably shared too much as it is.

I wish the team luck for the rest of the season. I'll still go to the games I can make it to, but I won't plan my weekends around it. I normally try to give my tix away to people who have never attended a game during weeks I cant make it. My intention was always to help create new fans with my good seats to help improve attendance in the future. Not so sure that's a strategy I want to employ this year. Might end up scaring people away.

Hopefully the team turns a corner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm planning on bowing out of the conversation in the football forum altogether. Going with the "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" bit. I've probably shared too much as it is.

I wish the team luck for the rest of the season. I'll still go to the games I can make it to, but I won't plan my weekends around it. I normally try to give my tix away to people who have never attended a game during weeks I cant make it. My intention was always to help create new fans with my good seats to help improve attendance in the future. Not so sure that's a strategy I want to employ this year. Might end up scaring people away.

Hopefully the team turns a corner.

I wish I could find a way to turn my anger to apathy...I'm not there yet. Although under no circumstance will I attend another game this year. Furthermore, there is a very very strong possibility that I will not be renewing my 4 season tickets.  As recently as last week or week before that I believe I said I couldn't give up my seats. But the way things are going...I'm so sick to my stomach I feel compelled to put my money where my mouth is unless there are significant changes. 

 

It kills me to type this, I never though it would come to this with this loser coach...I was upset that Benson gave him that unearned extension last summer, instead of proving me wrong, he as the leader of this program has failed even more spectacularly then I could ever imagine. There is zero future with him at the helm and waiting for years for him to be fired is financially taxing. This man after 5 years is a proven loser, #patsoswithafootball.

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My selfban hasnt started yet lol.

There is no apathy. I care deeply for the program, and I dont want to give up. I just dont feel qualified to comment on if a coach should be fired. Typing stuff on social media is pretty much out there forever.  While its anonymous, it's not hard to figure out who is who.

I'll root for the team, but I'll leave my negativity to the conversations at the bar instead of a public forum.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Clickclack said:

As of today, this guy has a winning % of 31% in the CAA and dropping and yet he continues to be employed. If there was a favorable termination clause we are now in the realm of fire mid-season. 

This quote was from the CAA weekly call.  I think he’s right - this is the most talented team that the program has had.  Just makes you scratch your head that with the talent and the easy schedule, why aren’t they winning some of these games.

There was also a question about losing close games and Coach Gattuso answered that it was hard on everyone including fans who start questioning what they’re doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, reeder said:

This quote was from the CAA weekly call.  I think he’s right - this is the most talented team that the program has had.  Just makes you scratch your head that with the talent and the easy schedule, why aren’t they winning some of these games.

There was also a question about losing close games and Coach Gattuso answered that it was hard on everyone including fans who start questioning what they’re doing.

Care to explain what you are seeing why you say most talented team we've ever had? They looks absolutely aweful. The lines get pushed around, corners are horrible, qb play is very shaky, they can't tackle with the exception of like 2 or 3 guys. They can't get any pressure on qb... This team has very little talent and they are punked by everyone. Some skill positions have talent.

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

Care to explain what you are seeing why you say most talented team we've ever had? They looks absolutely aweful. The lines get pushed around, corners are horrible, qb play is very shaky, they can't tackle with the exception of like 2 or 3 guys. They can't get any pressure on qb... This team has very little talent and they are punked by everyone. Some skill positions have talent.

I’m not saying that the team is as good as all the other CAA teams, just comparing to previous teams,  if you accept that the CAA is a higher level of competition, I think we’re better at RB, DL, WR, LB and in the secondary than any previous CAA team that we’ve had. Testaverde is comparable to Fiacchi in his senior year (he probably does have more interceptions).  The one area that we’re probably not better is the OL - the 2016 o line was better (in the run game anyway).  

I remember Coach Gattuso complaining that we didn’t have the CAA players to play man to man in the secondary a few years ago - we still don’t but there’s enough talent to go 6 deep at safety, move a starting corner to safety and have a suitable player replace him.  I’d argue that we couldn’t do that in previous years.  IMO, the only secondary player from our previous CAA teams that would get significant playing time would be TJ Idowu.

Holmes, Reeves and McDonald are the best WR group that we’ve had - and now the other player is playing great (number 4).  I’d argue that these players are better than Gontarek, Brad Harris and Cole King a few years ago.  yes, Zee Roberson had some good games but he had a lot of drops (as did Cole King as a senior).

Linebackers aren’t great but there’s more depth that we’ve had previously.  Metheny, Damico, Watson ar turning into a decent group.  There were some good linebackers previously but we never had depth.  You had Nicastro and a couple other good linebackers but not a really good group.  We also had Julian Cox win Rookie of the year and nothing since before leaving the program, the Maryland transfer for a year, the JC transfer last year (gone now).

You could argue that Drew Smith, Omar Osbourne, Gary Jones (you can go even back to my days with Chuck Priore and Dave Soldini).  They were all great players but that wasn’t in the CAA so I wouldn’t include them.

We need to recruit better but IMO, the talent on this team is better than their record.  They’re not a playoff team but they shouldn’t be at the bottom of this league either.  Injuries, coaching issues...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, reeder said:

I’m not saying that the team is as good as all the other CAA teams, just comparing to previous teams,  if you accept that the CAA is a higher level of competition, I think we’re better at RB, DL, WR, LB and in the secondary than any previous CAA team that we’ve had. Testaverde is comparable to Fiacchi in his senior year (he probably does have more interceptions).  The one area that we’re probably not better is the OL - the 2016 o line was better (in the run game anyway).  

I remember Coach Gattuso complaining that we didn’t have the CAA players to play man to man in the secondary a few years ago - we still don’t but there’s enough talent to go 6 deep at safety, move a starting corner to safety and have a suitable player replace him.  I’d argue that we couldn’t do that in previous years.  IMO, the only secondary player from our previous CAA teams that would get significant playing time would be TJ Idowu.

Holmes, Reeves and McDonald are the best WR group that we’ve had - and now the other player is playing great (number 4).  I’d argue that these players are better than Gontarek, Brad Harris and Cole King a few years ago.  yes, Zee Roberson had some good games but he had a lot of drops (as did Cole King as a senior).

Linebackers aren’t great but there’s more depth that we’ve had previously.  Metheny, Damico, Watson ar turning into a decent group.  There were some good linebackers previously but we never had depth.  You had Nicastro and a couple other good linebackers but not a really good group.  We also had Julian Cox win Rookie of the year and nothing since before leaving the program, the Maryland transfer for a year, the JC transfer last year (gone now).

You could argue that Drew Smith, Omar Osbourne, Gary Jones (you can go even back to my days with Chuck Priore and Dave Soldini).  They were all great players but that wasn’t in the CAA so I wouldn’t include them.

We need to recruit better but IMO, the talent on this team is better than their record.  They’re not a playoff team but they shouldn’t be at the bottom of this league either.  Injuries, coaching issues...  

Fair enough, I read it twice. Thing that stick sout to me in your writeup that they aren't playoff talent but they shouldn't be this bad. Sadly they are, not sure where you park that but at the feet of Gattuso. 

 

I'll respectfully disagree on the ol and dl. Honestly they  both look mediocre (ol)to downright brutal on the dl. They are incredibly soft, get zero penetration and especially the d line are punked game in and game out. The corners are the worst group I've ever seen... They downright stink. They can't play bump and run at all, or Gattuso won't let them allowing them to get ripped on short slants and hook throws. You'd think if they are backing that far off or going zone they would at least be good against the long ball. My observation is they get burned at every level repeatedly. It's a $ienaty group... Probably need to recruit over every corner. 

 

I will agree with you, there is probably talent to be better than this but patsos with a football is gonna patsos, incompetent. 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×