UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #2: 11/14/18 - 7:30PM vs Boston University

Eli

Not to make excuses; UA got beat pretty much in all aspects: shooting, rebounding, O and D. But BU was a much more experienced team. They were playing in their 4th game, UA only its second. Even though BU did play some freshman, their top 3 scores in order were a sophomore and than two juniors. 

As bad as we were, there were some positives: cut turnovers way down, DeSousa and especially Healy looked really good.

Still reserving judgement oh Luka, so far he has NOT impressed me (very early though.) I feel/hope Hank and French will be OK once they get the mental part down. Lauderdale should be cut now and open up a scholarship (I know not allowed.) AND I have to join the band wagon that Campbell needs to have his minutes cut/slashed: he is simply too much of an offensive liability  even if his D was "super" {which is good but not super}, But I doubt this is going to happen.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Not to make excuses; UA got beat pretty much in all aspects: shooting, rebounding, O and D. But BU was a much more experienced team. They were playing in their 4th game, UA only its second. Even though BU did play some freshman, their top 3 scores in order were a sophomore and than two juniors. 

As bad as we were, there were some positives: cut turnovers way down, DeSousa and especially Healy looked really good.

Still reserving judgement oh Luka, so far he has NOT impressed me (very early though.) I feel/hope Hank and French will be OK once they get the mental part down. Lauderdale should be cut now and open up a scholarship (I know not allowed.) AND I have to join the band wagon that Campbell needs to have his minutes cut/slashed: he is simply too much of an offensive liability  even if his D was "super" {which is good but not super}, But I doubt this is going to happen.

I think you'll see Campbell move to the 4 as soon as Rizzuto comes back and De Sousa gets a bit more comfortable with Lulka moving to 5 and Hanks to bench. Being at the 4 Campbell won't have to create as much or be expected to shoot on the wing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

I think you'll see Campbell move to the 4 as soon as Rizzuto comes back and De Sousa gets a bit more comfortable with Lulka moving to 5 and Hanks to bench. Being at the 4 Campbell won't have to create as much or be expected to shoot on the wing. 

Exactly!!!!! 

I'm new to the board but have followed our team for years.

Regarding defense: I cringe when our 5 is above the foul line and our point is left with their 4 or 5 underneath. Hank moves well but his game is patrolling near the hoop. Trying to trap out front should be the exception, not the rule. Can't count the number of times our bigs leave their post only to have the ball dumped in for an easy layup. Also, BU moved the ball well. No unnecessary dribbling... led to solid looks. 

If we play zone, need to move faster- Can not allow easy three point looks. BU was exceptionally hot in the first half but still there needs to be more in the face. Additionally, we must have two or more positioned to haul in the rebound. 

Offense looked best when Malachie was in there. He is long and creates opportunities. Healy a gamer. I though Ahmad played well, although he missed a couple of easy layins. On the other hand, I agree with the board that he trying too hard. Some shots are not meant to be. My line up would be Healy, De Sousa, Clark, Campbell and Luka. Campbell plays 4 and is only allowed to drive and shoot bank shots 10 feet in. 

Coach still hasn't broken the bad habit of chewing a guy out on the sideline. Looks bad and doesn't get a the affect sought. Ditto- for the foot stomp.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ontheroad said:

I'm new to the board but have followed our team for years.

Regarding defense: I cringe when our 5 is above the foul line and our point is left with their 4 or 5 underneath. Hank moves well but his game is patrolling near the hoop. Trying to trap out front should be the exception, not the rule. Can't count the number of times our bigs leave their post only to have the ball dumped in for an easy layup. Also, BU moved the ball well. No unnecessary dribbling... led to solid looks. 

If we play zone, need to move faster- Can not allow easy three point looks. BU was exceptionally hot in the first half but still there needs to be more in the face. Additionally, we must have two or more positioned to haul in the rebound. 

Offense looked best when Malachie was in there. He is long and creates opportunities. Healy a gamer. I though Ahmad played well, although he missed a couple of easy layins. On the other hand, I agree with the board that he trying too hard. Some shots are not meant to be. My line up would be Healy, De Sousa, Clark, Campbell and Luka. Campbell plays 4 and is only allowed to drive and shoot bank shots 10 feet in. 

Coach still hasn't broken the bad habit of chewing a guy out on the sideline. Looks bad and doesn't get a the affect sought. Ditto- for the foot stomp.

Welcome to the board ontheroad!

Agree with everything you said other than Ahmad played well. I thought he had a bad game but I don't think that is the player that he is.  I think, as you and others have said, he was really pressing when we got down to try and take over the game instead of playing team ball. 

Here's hoping you become an active member here.  We need more! Enjoy!

College basketball games are 40 minutes and with 5 players on the floor that means there are 200 minutes to go around. 

Last night we played freshman for 101 of those 200 minutes. As good as our freshman our, unless they're named Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett, we're going to struggle early in the season.

I'm surprised at the reactions to Lulka. Maybe we all expected him to come with a cape, a big "S" on his shirt and fly around Sefcu Arena. I thought he's been pretty solid for his first two games - Avg 9PPG, 6 RPG while shooting over 58% from the floor. He showed a couple of nice post moves. Right now, our offense is no where near organized enough to get him consistent touches in the post.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

College basketball games are 40 minutes and with 5 players on the floor that means there are 200 minutes to go around. 

Last night we played freshman for 101 of those 200 minutes. As good as our freshman our, unless they're named Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett, we're going to struggle early in the season.

I'm surprised at the reactions to Lulka. Maybe we all expected him to come with a cape, a big "S" on his shirt and fly around Sefcu Arena. I thought he's been pretty solid for his first two games - Avg 9PPG, 6 RPG while shooting over 58% from the floor. He showed a couple of nice post moves. Right now, our offense is no where near organized enough to get him consistent touches in the post.

He's been solid and last game was better... I thought he'd be a little more agile and athletic with quicker feet... It is what it is. 

46 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

He's been solid and last game was better... I thought he'd be a little more agile and athletic with quicker feet... It is what it is. 

I pictured him as a John Carroll (of Hartford) type player and I don't think it's that far off. Skilled big man who can shoot that we can run our offense through. We just have to get to the "run our offense" part of that equation.

• Like 1