UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #4: 11/19/18 - 7PM vs Oneonta

Eli

53 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

De Sousa is about as lost as I've ever seen any player lost in this program. Nothing is clicking for him right now. Kept getting balled ripped away from him...limites motor didn't persue hard just let things happen to him. 

May be a redshirt candidate... 

I'm worried about our guys having the ball ripped away from them and out muscled. Canisius manhandled our perimeter guys in the second half. As for tonight, 17 turnovers, and we were blocked 6 times. Chalk a bit of that up to our less-than-maximum effort and our youth (both physical youth/development and game experience). 

Edited by UA_MA_2000

Not super surprised with the way we played tonight. Veteran teams come into this game and take care of business, young teams...not so much.

Miller and French gave us some nice energy and effort off the bench. Our young guys can learn from Miller who plays with a purpose every time he puts the uniform on. He is an easy guy to root for.

I watched tonight and saw:

A) Some guys who get it.

B)Some guys who are starting to get it

C) Some guys who don't quite get it yet.

It's still November and there's plenty of time for guys at "C" to go to "B." In fact, it's one of the fun things to watch in college basketball.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

I noticed that too, they were much smaller back in the old D3  SUNYAC days at University Gym.   Back then 6'5" was the biggest you saw on most teams.

They have a lot of kids in the 6-3 to 6-6 range. Yeah, I remember that too. In the 70-75 years UA had one guy 6-4 and the rest not so much. Our center was usually a 6-3 player. Occasionally when Hartwick or UB came to town there’d be some bigger players that looked huge. Remember Curtis Blackmore, out of Ravena? My HS played in Ravena’s league back then. He became a star at UB. 6-6 and about 250.

My take: they won, no one was hurt, they had another game to figure things out, I liked Miller’s game, Brooks is struggling, if Lulka can develop any kind of touch around the basket he will be a force, Fruscio only gets one minute?

Some in the crowd were yelling for Fruscio to get in the game starting around the 9 minute mark in the second half when the team was up more than 20. But every time his name was yelled Oneonta would go on a mini run. It was almost like they were afraid of the having to face the Karate Kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jimbo said:

They have a lot of kids in the 6-3 to 6-6 range. Yeah, I remember that too. In the 70-75 years UA had one guy 6-4 and the rest not so much. Our center was usually a 6-3 player. Occasionally when Hartwick or UB came to town there’d be some bigger players that looked huge. Remember Curtis Blackmore, out of Ravena? My HS played in Ravena’s league back then. He became a star at UB. 6-6 and about 250.

My take: they won, no one was hurt, they had another game to figure things out, I liked Miller’s game, Brooks is struggling, if Lulka can develop any kind of touch around the basket he will be a force, Fruscio only gets one minute?

It's crazy that I never heard of a guy that became a star at UB as I went to RCS lol. I know about Gary Jones as he was only a few years older than me but don't think I've ever heard of Curtis Blackmore. 

24 minutes ago, Eli said:

It's crazy that I never heard of a guy that became a star at UB as I went to RCS lol. I know about Gary Jones as he was only a few years older than me but don't think I've ever heard of Curtis Blackmore. 

Dude, you were born what, in the late 80's? I think this may pre-date you...was class of '73...lol

38 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Dude, you were born what, in the late 80's? I think this may pre-date you...was class of '73...lol

Yeah, but I would have seen trophies or something in the trophy case. Or a jersey or something lol. Or at least heard his name when RCS basketball was mentioned. Granted HS was 13 years ago...maybe I just forgot lol.

Edited by Eli

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

I remember my last year at UA, 82-83 season and Doc had a kid from LI, Pete Gosule who was 6'9", the tallest player ever at the time.  Problem was he weighed a buck 70 and did not dominate like we would have thought at the D3 level back then.  

10 minutes ago, Eli said:

Yeah, but I would have seen trophies or something in the trophy case. Or a jersey or something lol. Or at least heard his name when RCS basketball was mentioned. Granted HS was 13 years ago...maybe I just forgot lol.

Yeah, it was before your time. I think he graduated in 69. He’s in the UB hall of fame, still #2 in rebounds and his 17.8 rebounds per game for one season is a record. Back in 69, if I remember correctly, my HS, Draper, was sectional class C champs. They didn’t have the state tourney back then so instead they had a night where the A champ played the B champ and C vs D. Draper played Milne School (blast from the past for you old timers) and RCS, B champ, played Philip Schuyler, A Champ. Schuyler had a great team featuring Milt Horne, who went on to play at New Mexico State, where he went to a final 4. RCS had a 6-6 and 6-7 front line and PD had 6-8, 6-7. It was a fun night of basketball that I attended. For you newbies, Schuyler was the HS in Albany’s south end and produced some great athletes. 

3 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

I remember my last year at UA, 82-83 season and Doc had a kid from LI, Pete Gosule who was 6'9", the tallest player ever at the time.  Problem was he weighed a buck 70 and did not dominate like we would have thought at the D3 level back then.  

Barry Kavanaugh was the first “tall” player I remember, at 6-7. He went on to coach and was temp head coach when Doc took a one year sabbatical.