UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #5: 11/20/18 - 7PM vs Holy Cross

Eli

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

No, it costs you $0.50/game plus the added enjoyment of being their live. You lose that by not going. That has value. 

The question then becomes, how much do you value 2-3 hours of enjoyment. I still find it a value. No I'm not paying for parking because I have a SEFCU pass, but it's worth it to me. 

I have 4 season tickets, and many games I used only 2 of them. I try to give some away to come games and people won't take them. To me the wasted seats just get averaged into my costs. 

How much do you value your enjoyment?

My enjoyment is tempered by the approximately 90 minutes total to and from the SEFCU door and the expense of a ticket or two and parking and gas. Plus there’s the uncertain weather during most of the season. I agree that they are fun in person. 

• Like 1

To me I do enjoy the game more live than I do on TV. But that's not the reason why I go. As I get older my excitement for pro sports gets less and less. Why ? Because the players/ organization  could not care less about me. Eli Manning appears to be a stand up guy but if u think he sits around the dinner table in his 20 million dollar mansion and thinks about the fans ur crazy. None of them do. 

I graduated from Albany. Therefore I am a part of the University. I invested in our university.   Therefore I can say things like "we played well or we need to get better".  One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone is talking about the NY Giants and say "we won today". Really??? Are u on the team ? Do you work for the organization ? Because they won. U did nothing nor do they care about you . 

Bottom line I give to albany atheltics and go to their games because I can say "We". I am a part of the university. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

To me I do enjoy the game more live than I do on TV. But that's not the reason why I go. As I get older my excitement for pro sports gets less and less. Why ? Because the players/ organization  could not care less about me. Eli Manning appears to be a stand up guy but if u think he sits around the dinner table in his 20 million dollar mansion and thinks about the fans ur crazy. None of them do. 

I graduated from Albany. Therefore I am a part of the University. I invested in our university.   Therefore I can say things like "we played well or we need to get better".  One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone is talking about the NY Giants and say "we won today". Really??? Are u on the team ? Do you work for the organization ? Because they won. U did nothing nor do they care about you . 

Bottom line I give to albany atheltics and go to their games because I can say "We". I am a part of the university. 

To me, the connection is very personal, that's why I support athletics and the university with donations, I actively participate in the UA community and act as an advisory through a recently launched (as far as I can tell) UCAN program etc. So like you, I invest time to go to games in person, it keeps me connected to the University. Over the years, as I get older, I yell less and watch more in person and just enjoy being part of the community at games. I stopped worrying about attendance some time ago as my enjoyment doesn't increase or diminish by a significant degree with how many other folks chose to invest their time in UA sporting events. It's nice to have a packed house and energy is great but the community is scattered, with many other interests competing for peoples time. 

I do however want a renovated SEFCU as I think it will increase our talent level through recruiting and may even entice more fans to show up if the venue is more comfortable. 

• Like 2

The connection is absolutely personal if you went to the university. I started going to UA games back in 2006 towards the end of the year when I was a freshmen at HVCC. I went to every game from 2007 on but I went as a non-season ticket holder. Only after I started attending the university in 2010 did I sign up for season tickets because it became that much more of a connection.

The only other team I will remotely go out of my way to watch a game be it on TV or in person (meaning move other things around to make the time) is the Miami Heat. Those of you who see me in the stands will notice I wear a Miami Heat hat if I'm not wearing my UA hat. I'm a Jets fan, Mets fan and Rangers fan but I wouldn't go out of my way to see a game (and actually, I've been to two Rangers games but no Jets or Mets games in like 20 years of following all 3 teams).

Like Click said, I no longer get bummed if we have 2000 fans or 4000 fans. I just want to see wins. I don't care if I'm the only one in the stands watching, a win is a win. I'm hoping we get our guys a new arena in the next 5 years but who knows what'll happen.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 2

On 11/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, Eli said:

The connection is absolutely personal if you went to the university. I started going to UA games back in 2006 towards the end of the year when I was a freshmen at HVCC. I went to every game from 2007 on but I went as a non-season ticket holder. Only after I started attending the university in 2010 did I sign up for season tickets because it became that much more of a connection.

The only other team I will remotely go out of my way to watch a game be it on TV or in person (meaning move other things around to make the time) is the Miami Heat. Those of you who see me in the stands will notice I wear a Miami Heat hat if I'm not wearing my UA hat. I'm a Jets fan, Mets fan and Rangers fan but I wouldn't go out of my way to see a game (and actually, I've been to two Rangers games but no Jets or Mets games in like 20 years of following all 3 teams).

Like Click said, I no longer get bummed if we have 2000 fans or 4000 fans. I just want to see wins. I don't care if I'm the only one in the stands watching, a win is a win. I'm hoping we get our guys a new arena in the next 5 years but who knows what'll happen.

You are getting closer to my way of thinking so I am getting worried. I go to over 200 games a year. I don't worry about attendance except to the extent that it affects my ability to get a ticket. I always have let others worry about that. I go if I think the game has value greater than the cost. 

Not just about the cost. I wouldn't pay a dollar to travel to loundonville in the last 10 years. 😋 I paid a bit more than that to see Danes baseball in Hawaii, Danes basketball in California, Utah, Hawaii, northern Ireland(soon) , etc.