UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Agree, and that's why we'll probably need to refrain from hitting the panic button early on and the route to the tournament will be the AE tournament. I think I said a while back that this would be one of Coach Marr's biggest coaching challenges. Not only with what we lost to graduation, but also bringing in two new coaches. I heard someone talking about Albany recently and how it is a slow build to get to where the program has been the last 2-3 years in particular, and how we typically just can't reload every year.

We have a really small roster compared to most teams. I think there is one or two guys on the team who are not on the roster yet. Looking at what we lost I was and am still surprised with ow small this freshmen class is. If Owen Hill comes next year, the 2019 class looks a lot like the class that just graduated in terms of offensive talent.

For some reason, inside lacrosse has been giving vermont a lot of hype this fall. Could be our main challenge for the auto bid. They are effected by graduation maybe as much as UA, but supposedly have a strong incoming class (mostly Canadians.) But from what I see, UA has a much stronger returning group IMHO. Handled them pretty well last year 21-5 & 14-4 and if you call grad loses about equal, IMHO UA still top dog.

As for first 5 games, I think we come out 4-1 or 3-2 at worse. We beat cuse, because they deserve to lose after stiffing us once again. We beat cornell ,unless Irelan's brother is as good or better than advertised [the red offensively may be as good as it gets, but D still unproven and I think our D can hold them in check if goal tending comes around.] I was at the Umass game last year and don't buy into Umass' strong finish to their season as being a big indicator. [Our 2nds & 3rds dominated their staters and even if they have everyone back ,IMHO no way they beat us at home this year.] Maryland appears loaded and gets richer by the day with transfers and re-commits. No prediction about this one.

Scott ever the optimist, in the TU this morning said our schedule is all about getting us back to being #1 where we were for 10 weeks last year. The paragraph and my predictions above are in-line with this optimism. I reserve the right to modify and or delete the paragraph after our 3 February scrimmages (weather permitting.) By the way anyone have the dates (I know 2/9 is $iena; others??)

Lastly,  for those out there always yelling that UA needs to strengthen its Schedule. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR---this one is most definitely a BEAST!

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

Rutgers is the 26th at 2pm down in Jersey, then Colgate and Siena.

I would take 3-2 or 4-1 for sure out of the gate. We'll see how the offense blends with Tehoka back and who emerges at the midfield. We seem stronger at attack, especially with Tehoka back which is why I would take a look at Jakob playing up top again to make sure we have our best scorers on the filed as much as possible.

Just read the TU article where Coach Marr talks about to fifteen guys who haven't played much being an integral part of the team this year. One guy no one has mentioned who had a really good fall is Doug Goldsmith. He will be a mainstay at defensive middie this year. I'm still not sold on the goalie situation, but we shall see.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

2 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I think there is one or two guys on the team who are not on the roster yet

Are you at liberty to be more specific?  Walk-ons?  Late Transfers?  Impact players or just adding depth? Or is it just the usual slow/lack of communication & reporting?

Edited by dslyank

4 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Are you at liberty to be more specific?  Walk-ons?  Late Transfers?  Impact players or just adding depth? Or is it just the usual slow/lack of communication & reporting?

I'm surprised no pictures unless they decided not to play. One is a walk on, spacing on his name who I believe played as a freshmen at Cleveland State and the other is a pole who transferred from Hobart. Based upon what I saw in the fall games depth guys with the pole more likely to see the field, but wouldn't think he would challenge the starting trio.

19 hours ago, Capital District Lax said:

The pole would be Connor Flood, a graduate transfer from Hobart.  He is an Albany Academy grad.  I don’t know anything about his status, though.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:22 AM, nysteve661 said:

How do all of these other teams get all the transfers??   We were top 5 ALL year last year/  You'd think there would be guys banging at the door.  They all have the same number of scholarships too.  Maybe they have a LOT more "other" types of funding to help with tuition etc.  NY state kids should give us a decisive edge if they want to play at a top notch program.

• Like 2

For a lacrosse player you have to offer a graduate major they can relate to.  It is getting better now but for years it has been difficult for both graduate and undergraduate majors.

As an Albany graduate and guidance counselor, Albany had little to offer.  It is much better now but still thin.

23 hours ago, Oldtimer said:

For a lacrosse player you have to offer a graduate major they can relate to.  It is getting better now but for years it has been difficult for both graduate and undergraduate majors.

As an Albany graduate and guidance counselor, Albany had little to offer.  It is much better now but still thin.

Don't agree.  U A is on the cutting edge with new programs in Nanotech and National Security and offers a top Business School, TOP Criminal Justice School, Top Atmospheric Sciences School, a very good Anthropology School and also in other Social Sciences and in Mathematics, Biology, Psychology, and you can name MANY others.  UA is also a leading school for Education has been for over 100 years with Numerous Graduate programs in Education. UA also has offered literally 100's of Graduate courses in 20 or so programs and degrees for years.

• Like 3

Inside Lacrosse just announced their Pre-season All Americans.  Tehoka is 3rd team and Sean Eccles is an honorable mention.  Didn't expect more than that.  Maybe Jakob Patterson as an HM could have been a 3rd member.  Still sucks to see the 1st team FO guy is TD Irelan.

Edited by nysteve661
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Inside Lacrosse just announced their Pre-season All Americans.  Tehoka is 3rd team and Sean Eccles is an honorable mention.  Didn't expect move than that.  Maybe Jacob Patterson as an HM could have been a 3rd member.  Still sucks to see the 1st team FO guy is TD Irelan.

i really expected Jakob to receive HM honors.

Had a chance to bum someone's copy of the IL yearbook. Reader's Digest of what they had to say about the Danes. None of our units made their top 10, two preseason All Americans. I kind of find the ranking of 15th surprising given the overall narrative and how IL and their recruiting team disses our recruiting classes year in and year out.

The breakdown is pretty much what most of us have been talking about across the board in terms of the projected starting lineup and key reserves.