UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Starting Five?

In today's TU, CB said Rizzuto would enter the starting lineup when his conditioning was for it.

Kinda curious how that's going to look. Maybe move Campbell to the 4 and Lulka to the 5?

And Eli advocating Campbell going to the bench in 3...2...1...

2 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

In today's TU, CB said Rizzuto would enter the starting lineup when his conditioning was for it.

Kinda curious how that's going to look. Maybe move Campbell to the 4 and Lulka to the 5?

And Eli advocating Campbell going to the bench in 3...2...1...

I belive this will be the configuration... 

12 hours ago, Eli said:

Has anyone said that Campbell should go to the bench yet? 😂

I SAY IT.  

Shoot me if you want; but I do not see him as a 4 and most definitely not as a 3. Bring him off the bench for defense {even though IMHO his defense this year has NOT been good at all;}  and to spell the starters. But his minutes should be spread around and he should be used sparingly. IMHO I would keep Lulka  (who seems to be getting better and more comfortable every game) at the 4. Rotate Hanks, French & Lauderdale at the 5. I would also instruct the 3 of them to play tougher and stop/block every shoot in the paint--give them a FREE PASS to foul. I would not care if all three fouled out every game.

19 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I SAY IT.  

Shoot me if you want; but I do not see him as a 4 and most definitely not as a 3. Bring him off the bench for defense {even though IMHO his defense this year has NOT been good at all;}  and to spell the starters. But his minutes should be spread around and he should be used sparingly. IMHO I would keep Lulka  (who seems to be getting better and more comfortable every game) at the 4. Rotate Hanks, French & Lauderdale at the 5. I would also instruct the 3 of them to play tougher and stop/block every shoot in the paint--give them a FREE PASS to foul. I would not care if all three fouled out every game.

My comment was a joke on DP's original post at the end where he said I'd be here in 3...2....1...to talk about DC not starting lol. 

I think we need to be careful to not castigate a young man to much and just let the coaches do what's best for team. Yes, he's struggles shooting the ball but let's remember, he's a Dane and his effort has never been an issue especially as we turned over such a huge part of the roster. 

Whatever role he's in, I wish him the best of luck...he's a good kid but if there are better options available for the good of the team hopefully they are utilized. 

• Like 5

Much better stated Click.

Devonte has always been one of my favorites on the team. 2 years ago he was the most athletic guy on the team, and he had a few beautiful Alley Oop dunks that season. He is a hard worker, a great leader, and someone who just seems like a great guy to be around. If he doesn't go on to play internationally, it would not surprise me in the slightest if he became a great coach.

That said, his shooting troubles so far this season, and for most of last season, have definitely made it significantly harder for the team to win. Opposing defenses haven't given his shot much respect and have been able to lay off. removing lanes and jamming the offense. If he is on the floor and open, I want him taking shots right now. Including outside shots. Make them or miss them, he needs the opposition to know that he will shoot them if open. No one wants to be that guy that let a low percentage shooter drain a 3 in front of them. 

If I was the coach, I would probably play him around 25 minutes again, split between the 3 and the 4. If he is hot, time can go up, if cold, lower it a little. 

As I said before, seems like a great kid and I am glad he is in purple and gold. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Much better stated Click.

Devonte has always been one of my favorites on the team. 2 years ago he was the most athletic guy on the team, and he had a few beautiful Alley Oop dunks that season. He is a hard worker, a great leader, and someone who just seems like a great guy to be around. If he doesn't go on to play internationally, it would not surprise me in the slightest if he became a great coach.

That said, his shooting troubles so far this season, and for most of last season, have definitely made it significantly harder for the team to win. Opposing defenses haven't given his shot much respect and have been able to lay off. removing lanes and jamming the offense. If he is on the floor and open, I want him taking shots right now. Including outside shots. Make them or miss them, he needs the opposition to know that he will shoot them if open. No one wants to be that guy that let a low percentage shooter drain a 3 in front of them. 

If I was the coach, I would probably play him around 25 minutes again, split between the 3 and the 4. If he is hot, time can go up, if cold, lower it a little. 

As I said before, seems like a great kid and I am glad he is in purple and gold. 

Great post...

11 minutes ago, Eli said:

I don't think anyone here dislikes the kid...we are simply annoyed with the offensive basketball player. I have zero issues with DC as a fellow human being.

I know but we gotta keep in mind that these are real human beings who are trying...it's easy to post semi-anonymously on a message board. The other day I even felt bad for ripping into Losertuso constantly...Call me a softy if you must, it's the Holidays!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 5

I also have nothing against Devonte. Two years ago his defense was GREAT--won some games pretty much on his own and contributed always. Last your his defense was NOT as good and this year it has been BAD. Even coach mentioned that perhaps his offensive struggles were causing him to lose focus on defense. If he cannot help us defensively and his offense is a liability (not trying to insult him, but everyone, including our opponents see this) than his minutes need to be reduced. Lulka seems to be getting comfortable @ the 4; and I hate to see him taken out of that spot. There appear to be better options at the 3 than Devonte; and I think others would certainly help UA more offensively and the D would not suffer greatly.

I meant no disrespect;  just Monday morning quarterbacking. I wish the kid well and hope he proves me wrong!

I think part of the problem is also that  Will Brown seems to have extremely high standards for earning playing time. Once you earn it, he sometimes seems to be loyal to a fault. There are some years that he seems to only go 7 deep. While Campbell has earned a long leash with his hard work and talent, the team desperately needs some more people on the team to step up their work and earn his trust and more time. They are all young so I assume it will come in time.

From the stands and from what has been written about the new players, it appears that this team has the talent to go 12-13 deep. I don't see him going that far, but he realistically could go 9-10 deep allowing everyone to play a little less but with more effort and speed when they do play.  Someone else earning more time would allow Campbell to play 20-25 minutes instead of 30+. 

On a similar note: Has Jerotic played any minutes yet this year? Is he redshirting?

Edited by godanesgo99