UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Off-Season: FB Transfer Rumors and Overall Negativity [Vent Thread]

Don't want to fill Dev's thread with this...

47 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

If true I'll elaborate,  not my place yet to say anything yet , have a friend that knows his dad well. But let's just say coaching !!!!!!. Again hopefully just an overreaction.  We will we. 

Preface: these are all just rumors!

A few of us called this halfway through the season lol. There are a lot more parents and kids pissed at Greg Gattuso than just Dev Holmes and his dad.

You think we've hit rock bottom this year? Nope. We're just getting started. To come is the following:

1) Transfers. More than the normal amount.
2) Lower quality kids coming in. You think kids don't talk to other kids and don't tell each other, 'go play here' or 'don't go play here'? Word of Gattuso is getting around. I GUARANTEE it. The best kids who are within our reach are going to look elsewhere.
3) Due to lower quality kids, we will only continue to get worse on the field.
4) Worse on the field = more losing 
5) More losing = more fans bail on the program
6) Less fans = bad 'taste' in the community about the Albany FB program. It will be YEARS before we get those fans back.

Get ready people...we're only getting started. I would be absolutely shocked if we win more than 3-4 games/yr the rest of the way with Gattuso.

Poor Bob Ford. To quote "Drake - Started From The Bottom"....UA FB started from the bottom and now we're...at the bottom'er. Nearly everything D1 related that that man has built over all of those years has been torn back down to nearly nothing by Gattuso and his enabler Benson.

If our top players do indeed have a mass exodus, that will make my decision about tickets that much easier. I'm not going to pay $200 to watch a bunch of 3rd stringer D3 'talent' (sorry kids). #TheReplacements

Edited by Eli

If he thinks at 5'8" he can play at the big boy level FBS on a consistent weekly basis he is delusional. Yes, he had a great game against Pitt. Yes, he is a great talent and very fast, no question. Could he play at UCONN, UMASS,  Buffalo, or Temple? Yes he can. Could he return kicks/punts at the low end FBS? Yes. Could he play in the SEC? No chance. If he transfers then prove me wrong and I will eat my hat. If he wants to transfer to a low end FBS school he will lose tons of games and the prospect of the NFL is a stretch.There is a reason major colleges didn't beat his door down coming out of HS. His height held him back. If he were 6'2 or better he would never have gotten away from those FBS schools. EB Hanks has a better resume to transfer up then this kid.

Would love to see him back for sure as I think he will own the CAA in the years to come. If he is transferring to a DII or D III school, then good riddance. it is amazing how all of these superstar WR that leave Albany all manage to transfer to lower Division schools.

Edited by MRuler 79

5 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

If he thinks at 5'8" he can play at the big boy level FBS on a consistent weekly basis he is delusional. Yes, he had a great game against Pitt. Yes, he is a great talent and very fast, no question. Could he play at UCONN, UMASS,  Buffalo, or Temple? Yes he can. Could he return kicks/punts at the low end FBS? Yes. Could he play in the SEC? No chance. If he transfers then prove me wrong and I will eat my hat. If he wants to transfer to a low end FBS school he will lose tons of games and the prospect of the NFL is a stretch.There is a reason major colleges didn't beat his door down coming out of HS. His height held him back. If he were 6'2 or better he would never have gotten away from those FBS schools. EB Hanks has a better resume to transfer up then this kid.

Would love to see him back for sure as I think he will own the CAA in the years to come. If he is transferring to a DII or D III school, then good riddance. it is amazing how all of these superstar WR that leave Albany all manage to transfer to lower Division schools.

Let's see if this is even true...could be a nothing-burger. This kid has no chance to play at any P5 school and be any good. Guys covering him at that level would be just as quick but much bigger and more athletic then what he's seen in the CAA. I'm still in a wait and see mode on this one...

18 minutes ago, sarge965 said:

What is the situation with Benson's contract?  I assume he was given the full 5 years when he started. The five years is up in August 2019.  

Interested what people think of his performance... Based on what we know. How about everyone just posts a grade for Benson. 

Imo he's a solid D right now... I think he's done a very poor job so far. 

27 minutes ago, sarge965 said:

What is the situation with Benson's contract?  I assume he was given the full 5 years when he started. The five years is up in August 2019.  

He's up in August 2024. He gave himself a 5 year extension.

Kidding aside...

Pros: SEFCU video board, $10M for Casey name

Cons: MANY communications blunders, somehow managed to ruin the P&G BB event, extended Gattuso, no word on SEFCU upgrades/rebuild/reno, lower attendance in multiple sports, thinks the die hard fans are idiots and keeps giving us lip service preaching patience, etc.

Yeah, he's a solid D, D+. Maybe a C-.

Edited by Eli

53 minutes ago, Eli said:

He's up in August 2024. He gave himself a 5 year extension.

Kidding aside...

Pros: SEFCU video board, $10M for Casey name

Cons: MANY communications blunders, somehow managed to ruin the P&G BB event, extended Gattuso, no word on SEFCU upgrades/rebuild/reno, lower attendance in multiple sports, thinks the die hard fans are idiots and keeps giving us lip service preaching patience, etc.

Yeah, he's a solid D, D+. Maybe a C-.

Honestly forgot about sefcu scoreboard... Gdac is his one accomplishment so far. I think D+ is fair... 

Holmes is fast yes BUT small and has a serious attitude problem.  You have to perform, no matter where you play.  Gotta catch the ball youngman and you HAVE TO BLOCK.  He is a terrible blocker.  Can't tell you how many times all they needed was a screen block from him to break a play on the edge and he was knocked down or did not even attempt to block.  Sorry but I think he is / was overrated because of his speed.  There are lots of fast kids who are small.  We have Ricky Gamble coming in - is like a clone.  Also offered to a back out of a JUCO who runs a 4.34.  Fast small guys are a dime a dozen.  Heart is NOT a dime a dozen.  I could be wrong and I hope he stays because he can learn BUT he doesn't seem to have the heart!  Tell me I'm wrong or let the Kid perform.

I have been told by a couple of guys in the know rumors are BS!

Edited by HOF2013