UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Are we better now ???

14 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

I know some folks thought I was harsh in looking forward to Lax season but in 2 weeks we are half way done with the season and I still see no improvement in most areas.  If they lose the next 3, they are 3-12 in OOC.  The team will be down mentally with no senior leadership to pick them up(sorry Devonte). We lost by 30 to an ok Big East team.  Bing lost last night by only 13 to an ACC team, Notre Dame.  Not sure we can beat any of the lower AE teams, no less sweep them.            Healy can't get open lately and hit the broad side of a barn.  Campbell is Campbell.  Rizzuto still way behind.  Hank is a space eater with no offense.  Lulka shows some signs but stone hands.  Lauderdale has a role but can't finish sometimes.  French has length but gets 2-3 illegal screens every game( hello coaches).  Miller, Brooks, de Sousa of little value so far.  Clark trying way too much to make it happen.                        Twelve games in guys and the gelling and experience is no closer than game one.  Call it as I see it and I have watched every game.  Sure I will get criticized so fire away.  Would love to see 10-6 in AE play but I would not  bet the ranch on it.  

Margin for victory is a useless exercise to compare teams unless it's like opponent. Bing has 1 D1 win...against one of the weakest schedules in the AE. That one win came against a team ranked close to 300. UNH has zero D1 wins and lost today to a weak Marist team at home. 

I agree with your assessment of players but I wonder if yesterdays 2nd half is clouding yesterdays first half as well as Darmouth 1st half. They can't put it together yet for 40 minutes but IMO the ceiling is closer to the team that hung with Providence and was up pretty good on Darmouth then what you saw yesterday in the second half. We'll see who's right...

Rizzuto will get better and start to pitch in, they will get Flory in rotation soon which will lessen even further the reliance on Campbell and he can go back to a support/bench role soon enough. Brown WILL beat Lulka into submission where he starts to demand the ball more etc. 

We scored 20 points in the first half last night lol. It was more like Providence hanging with us.

I don’t think we are as bad as I or some others think we are, but I certainly don’t think we are as good as some think also. Probably somewhere in between.

It’s bad right now, but can only go up from here right?

Edited by UA'08

4 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I started this post because I truly dont see any improvement.  And that's very scary. The person who says they dont expect improve throughout the year is ludicrous.  Young teams are suppose to improve throughout the year . Case and point : You do something the first time. ( Anything ) ex) play in your first college basketball game. Now let's say you do that thing 10 times , or 20 times , or 30 times. You would expect to get better at it . Even if  you never did it before. 

There is still time and we do have some talent . I know we are young and there will be peaks and valleys. Only time will tell. 

It just depends on what type of improvement you're expecting. We should improve every practice and every game, but so is every other team out there and almost every single one will have more experienced rosters. To me it's like any skill, the more you do it the better you get, but new issues always appear along the way. One day after you've put a ton of work into it it either clicks for you or it doesn't. Hopefully it comes together for us this year.

10 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

We scored 20 points in the first half last night lol. It was more like Providence hanging with us.

I don’t think we are as bad as I or some others think we are, but I certainly don’t think we are as good as some think also. Probably somewhere in between.

It’s bad right now, but can only go up from here right?

We're not good, but I just don't know what people expect out of this group right now. We all knew the situation coming into the year. Most of these games haven't been fun to watch, but let's not go off the rails. If it's a lost year that absolutely sucks as a fan, but it happens. It's not like we're a team full of upperclassmen like Binghamton last year. There have been multiple halves of basketball that were absolutely brutal to watch, but that's what happens with a roster like this.

To all ya'll doubters...

tenor.gif

Guess it's just Click and I lol. I ain't worried one bit. If we are 5 games into the AE and we're 1-4, then I'll be worried. Clock resets at 0-0 in 3 games for a reason.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

I get no one wants to hear it, but winning makes everything seem great and losing makes it seem like everything is falling apart. If we beat Providence last night everyone is jumping for joy and this team would still have the same exact problems it did going into the game.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ZLK said:

We're not good, but I just don't know what people expect out of this group right now. We all knew the situation coming into the year. Most of these games haven't been fun to watch, but let's not go off the rails. If it's a lost year that absolutely sucks as a fan, but it happens. It's not like we're a team full of upperclassmen like Binghamton last year. There have been multiple halves of basketball that were absolutely brutal to watch, but that's what happens with a roster like this.

But there have been halves where we have all been like...

giphy.gif

I like what KenPom does, instead of two halves it breaks it up into 10 minute quarters....

- Darmouth first half...

zPWTjEP.png

- Providence

TQIEkhq.png

- Yale

AP95fEa.png

In fact if you look at the above, there's usually a 10 minute segment where we get our butts kicked 3 of the 4 are competitive. This is a mark of a team that goes into a funk and doesn't yet know how to recover. 

We all knew going in that this was going to be a rough OOC. It's entirely possible that this team "doesn't figure it out" this season...best thing about freshman is that they becomes sophomores; isn't that the famous line? Still bodes well for the future.  

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ZLK said:

I get you Z but go back and look at the Wins 2018-19 thread and a little more than 2/3rds(68%) of this board voted for 16-25 wins. Have to go 13-6 rest of way to get to 16 and I sure don't see that.  The board was optimistic I guess that with only one Power 5 team in the OOC schedule and the rest mid-majors like us, 8 wins or more was possible.  Tack on 8-10 wins in AE, then the 2/3rds were spot-on.  Sure we knew there were issues but many felt they could be solved quickly and CB could get through to these guys in the first month.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

But there have been halves where we have all been like...

giphy.gif

I like what KenPom does, instead of two halves it breaks it up into 10 minute quarters....

- Darmouth first half...

zPWTjEP.png

- Providence

TQIEkhq.png

- Yale

AP95fEa.png

In fact if you look at the above, there's usually a 10 minute segment where we get our butts kicked 3 of the 4 are competitive. This is a mark of a team that goes into a funk and doesn't yet know how to recover. 

We all knew going in that this was going to be a rough OOC. It's entirely possible that this team "doesn't figure it out" this season...best thing about freshman is that they becomes sophomores; isn't that the famous line? Still bodes well for the future.  

Yeah I've always been a big fan of breaking down the games by quarters (which KenpPom displays well) or stretches between media timeouts. Was a problem for last year's team also. Honestly it happens to almost every team, you just have to be good enough around those stretches to overcome it and do your best to prevent that stretch from determining the whole game.

Team is young, team is talented. They'll be fine. I get anyone who is upset because when you invest your money and more importantly your time in something you deserve to have an opinion whether it's positive or negative. Just want to keep expectations realistic.

5 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

I get you Z but go back and look at the Wins 2018-19 thread and a little more than 2/3rds(68%) of this board voted for 16-25 wins. Have to go 13-6 rest of way to get to 16 and I sure don't see that.  The board was optimistic I guess that with only one Power 5 team in the OOC schedule and the rest mid-majors like us, 8 wins or more was possible.  Tack on 8-10 wins in AE, then the 2/3rds were spot-on.  Sure we knew there were issues but many felt they could be solved quickly and CB could get through to these guys in the first month.

For sure, I have written down somewhere of what games I thought would be wins, which games I thought were toss ups and which games I thought would be losses in OOC from before the season started. If I can find it I'll type it up on here and explain.

7 minutes ago, ZLK said:

Yeah I've always been a big fan of breaking down the games by quarters (which KenpPom displays well) or stretches between media timeouts. Was a problem for last year's team also. Honestly it happens to almost every team, you just have to be good enough around those stretches to overcome it and do your best to prevent that stretch from determining the whole game.

Team is young, team is talented. They'll be fine. I get anyone who is upset because when you invest your money and more importantly your time in something you deserve to have an opinion whether it's positive or negative. Just want to keep expectations realistic.

This is a 'feelings place'...I say let people FEEL!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

There was a lot of hype on how good these freshmen could be. Probably too much hype. Rizzuto A10, de Sousa super athletic slasher, Healy a sniper had higher offers etc.

But they are all playing their first games. I know we keep saying it but I don't think you're letting yourself accept it even if you say you get it.

de Sousa IS super athletic and a slasher
Healy IS a sniper as he's evidenced multiple times this season with multiple 3s
Rizzuto IS probably our best overall player but don't forget he's still a week or two away from being in basketball shape

I'll be the first to say I was wrong at the end of February but we still have nearly 20 games to go. Give it a few more weeks before crying Chicken Little.

Other than the lack of production on offense from our bigs and some mental errors (high TOs), I have very little to be disappointed about. I LIKE our team. Yes, even with the losses mounting.

Edited by Eli

26 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

There was a lot of hype on how good these freshmen could be. Probably too much hype. Rizzuto A10, de Sousa super athletic slasher, Healy a sniper had higher offers etc.

Rizzuto has played in what 4 games after missing months...Healey prior to the last 3 games WAS shooting lights out/bonkers...Clearly defenses have adjusted but that kid can SHOOT!

GqJWrpy.png

Only at Albany can a kid who's never played D1 ball average 15.3ppg, 2.9rpg and 2.7apg out of the gate and people are like...NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

SMH

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Rizzuto has played in what 4 games after missing months...Healey prior to the last 3 games WAS shooting lights out/bonkers...Clearly defenses have adjusted but that kid can SHOOT!

GqJWrpy.png

Only at Albany can a kid who's never played D1 ball average 15.3ppg, 2.9rpg and 2.7apg out of the gate and people are like...NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

SMH

I listed a reason why people are probably frustrated. I knew it was going to be a rough from the start and haven’t changed my opinion on that and have said whatever happens happens.