UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Are we better now ???

Where's the guy who wanted Brown and staff fired? hahaha.  Sorry, just trolling.  I wouldn't say the turnaround is complete but progress is being made, improvements are being made, experience is being gained!

Some on here were not teetering on the edge but actually went over the edge with the start of conference play.  I trust Brown and staff when recruiting young players.  Jucos are so hit and miss though. 

Jucos almost always take a full year to adjust to D1. I can only think of 3 off the top of my head that made an immediate impact: Suero, Singletary, and Sanders. 

Campbell took half a season. Clark took till year 2. Charles took till year 2.

You are right about hit and miss, but this program has had a lot of success with JUCOs. We just can't expect them to make an impact right away. With Brown only playing at most 9 in the rotation, I see no issue with filling out the roster with these kids. They are typically more mature for practice players, and if you can get 1 or 2 that stick, learn the system, and contribute then you are golden.

20 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Jucos almost always take a full year to adjust to D1. I can only think of 3 off the top of my head that made an immediate impact: Suero, Singletary, and Sanders. 

Campbell took half a season. Clark took till year 2. Charles took till year 2.

You are right about hit and miss, but this program has had a lot of success with JUCOs. We just can't expect them to make an impact right away. With Brown only playing at most 9 in the rotation, I see no issue with filling out the roster with these kids. They are typically more mature for practice players, and if you can get 1 or 2 that stick, learn the system, and contribute then you are golden.

Agree. I was just saying I think the Jucos are more hit or miss than the 4 year players they recruit. 

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this thought on the AE board, and maybe it's just the booze and lack of sleep, but here is my bold prediction:

UA can beat anyone in the AE this season if they have the right mindset and the shots fall, but as we have seen, they could also get blown out on any given night as well. That's what happens when you have only 1 player that saw any significant time last season and start 4 or 5 freshman.

UA gets hot, finishes the season strong, and pulls the upset in the chip game at Patrick in typical Will Brown fashion. UA is rewarded with the PIG.

The MAAC is terrible this season. The team currently in first (Canisius) and the team that has been in first for most of the season (Monmouth) both lost to UA big. LCC is currently 1 game out of first in the loss column.

So.....

When $iena wins their tournament we could end up with the Albany Cup game this season after all, just played in Dayton.

Somebody pass the pipe lol.

The way that I see it next year is this:

Hopefully the 5 freshman all return. Clark, Lauderdale,  and even French (who is only a sophomore) should be welcome back. 

Jerotic is a red shirt and to be honest I have watched him practice and I'm not impressed. 

That leaves Brooks and Flory. It seems pretty crappy to have a juco transfer in and then make him leave as a sr. Most colleges need 60 credits at their university to earn a degree. Running him out really put him at a disadvantage.  However he does nothing to solve our pg problem . 

Flory (as I said several times should have redshirted , but he didn't want to). What comes of him? He looked slow and often injured . 

We desperately need a pg. At this point I truly believe that could be the major difference in having a magical couple of seasons. 

I'm just not sure where the scholarship will come from ? 

15 hours ago, UA1882 said:

The way that I see it next year is this:

Hopefully the 5 freshman all return. Clark, Lauderdale,  and even French (who is only a sophomore) should be welcome back. 

Jerotic is a red shirt and to be honest I have watched him practice and I'm not impressed. 

That leaves Brooks and Flory. It seems pretty crappy to have a juco transfer in and then make him leave as a sr. Most colleges need 60 credits at their university to earn a degree. Running him out really put him at a disadvantage.  However he does nothing to solve our pg problem . 

Flory (as I said several times should have redshirted , but he didn't want to). What comes of him? He looked slow and often injured . 

We desperately need a pg. At this point I truly believe that could be the major difference in having a magical couple of seasons. 

I'm just not sure where the scholarship will come from ? 

I never thought DJ Evans would amount to a hill of Siena, but his improvement going into his senior year was astounding. Those who stay will be champions.

Edited by UA_MA_2000
  • Like 5