UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #17: 1/12/19 - 3:00PM vs Maine

8 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Realize what we are saying here now: Adding 2 players that are playing significant time for Villanova and Florida State that already know our system to this team would not be enough to have a great shot at the league title.... That shows how down the fan base is at the moment. 

Also, given the above: what should we be expecting from Rayshawn Miller who played 25 minutes per game last season in the A10, and Phil Flory who was a walk-on that played limited time last season in the Big East? At the end of the day, those were the 2 players we brought in late to replace Cremo and Nichols. 

I still think we will be good this year. We really just need the light switch to go on for two of the following: deSousa, French, Brooks, Lauderdale, or Flory. I think if 2 of those guys can do something to earn Brown's trust and start getting some significant playing time the team will end up very good and will surprise the league for the second half of conference play. If only one of them does, the team will be better, but still end up losing a first round game, if none of them do - we might miss the AE playoffs.  

Flory and Rizzuto without throwing to much shade have been I think the most disappointing. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that both missed so much time but neither one is producing anything at all. For whatever reason they just aren't ready to help. Still really like Rizzuto, you can see he's got the fire in his belly when you watch him D up. He'll get there. 

As for Miller, he's regressed from UMass in most areas. Not really sure how to explain it. 

ykaeq4m.png

Edited by Clickclack

RE: Miller

Maybe its the 10 pounds he lost :)

His big issue right now is shooting 13% from 2. While he is shooting almost 41% from 3, he has more 3pt attempts than 2 point attempts. That was similar last year as well, but I don't care what level you play at, you can't do that and be successful for any length of time. You need to be a threat to drive and dish or take it to the hole. It doesn't take long for the scouting report to show you do nothing but chuck 3's and the defense adjusts. Notice last year how much lower his conference 3% was than his overall 3pt%. Teams learned he was just going to chuck it. 

He needs to get a little more Nichols/Clark in his head and attack a little more. He was good enough of a ball handler to a play as a guard in the A10 for 25 minutes a game last year, and that league is generally considered significantly superior to the America East, so he should have the talent to do it. Taking on that role would probably give Brown a little more confidence in him, and keep defenses a little more honest on him giving him more room to shoot. 

RE: Rizzuto

No disappointment for me. He is a freshman that missed months of practice. Definitely going to be rusty and take time. I am more upset with Brown inserting him into the starting 5 so quickly. I am not sure is ready yet for more than 15-20 minutes per game. Eventually yes, but not yet. I hate to say it, but Campbell should still be starting, but only playing 20-25mpg, with a short leash. Rizzuto will be a star, but he still needs time. 

RE: Flory

I had really high hopes for him. But obviously multiple injuries through his career have taken an ACC level talent, and made him someone that should be playing a mid-major game. Staying healthy and working hard, could make him a top level player again, but he has been injured for most of the last 4-5 years. Not just  the start of this season. I haven't seen him play nearly enough to make a comment. I was thinking he might end up being a taller/more athletic Cremo by the time he is a senior. Cremo made due with being less athletic because of work ethic. Flory's "Do more" might be what gives me that impression.

I am staying bullish, but the confidence that we see it this year is about as low as can be.   

Edited by godanesgo99

10 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Flory and Rizzuto without throwing to much shade have been I think the most disappointing. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that both missed so much time but neither one is producing anything at all. For whatever reason they just aren't ready to help. Still really like Rizzuto, you can see he's got the fire in his belly when you watch him D up. He'll get there. 

As for Miller, he's regressed from UMass in most areas. Not really sure how to explain it. 

I hope Flory can contribute at some point. Right now he seems unsure when he's on the floor.

For the most part, Clark and Healy have produced consistently but beyond them has been a mystery. If Rizzuto, Lulka and Campbell give us a little offense we look OK. If not, we look pretty awful.

Miller has helped us when we look like a Dane in the headlights against different zone looks sometimes.

Other than SBU and VT, I still think we are bigger than most teams in the conference and would like the ball to go into the paint much more.