UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #17: 1/12/19 - 3:00PM vs Maine

4 minutes ago, UA_MA_2000 said:

I re-watched the game today, and I think Lauderdale was a bright spot. 

Since athleticism and strength are clearly a problem out there, what about this lineup:

F - Lulka

F - Lauderdale 

F - Campbell 

G - Miller

G - Clark

With these 5 on the floor, I don't expect a miracle, but I am so tired of seeing us throw away passes or getting the ball ripped away due to being out-muscled.

I don't exactly buy the freshman excuse because several kids who are getting playing time are at least in year 2 of a college program and, presumably, its strength and conditioning program. 

No more Campbell... Just no that lineup is dead on arrival. As for strength... Healey lulka and Hanks are in year two. Rizzuto and most definitely de Sousa are not. De Sousa needs to eat Fruscio or something... 

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

No more Campbell... Just no that lineup is dead on arrival. As for strength... Healey lulka and Hanks are in year two. Rizzuto and most definitely de Sousa are not. De Sousa needs to eat Fruscio or something... 

Do you or anyone else on here remember that bench player, a forward, from maybe 5 years ago who had, IMHO, an amazing offseason in the weight room and came out for his senior year and had good minutes (maybe 8-10/game). David might have been his first name? He was tall and scrawny his junior year and he was a man his senior year. A juco from possibly the midwest. His development really showed me what can be achieved in a year. I wish I could remember his name. His last name might have started with a "W," but I'm not sure ... .

EDIT: David Weigmann was his name (2012-2013)

Edited by UA_MA_2000

26 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

I would NOT “break off that character mold.” That could cause more problems than it solves.

10000% agreed.

Nichols was a head case and had multiple issues here at UA with teammates, etc., storming out of practices (and having to get talked to come back by Campbell), etc.

Definitely do NOT break the character mold.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, uofalbany said:

Imagine, being at the bottom of the AE barrel.

I don't think we have to imagine, we're there.  *sigh* :(

WB knows what he is doing, and he'll add pieces going forward and help develop what we have. If some of our players either can't play D-1 ball or are unable to do the off-season work needed to do so, that will probably lead to departures/transfers.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

Miller as a starter in place of Healy is a real stretch.  Rizutto and Healy were obviously drivers in HS but are still learning about the athleticism even in the AE.  I like DeSousa on the front of the press and he always has a rebound and a point or two for the three minutes he plays.  I think CB is still trying to find the right combo and subs going forward. PATIENCE!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldtimer said:

Miller as a starter in place of Healy is a real stretch.  Rizutto and Healy were obviously drivers in HS but are still learning about the athleticism even in the AE.  I like DeSousa on the front of the press and he always has a rebound and a point or two for the three minutes he plays.  I think CB is still trying to find the right combo and subs going forward. PATIENCE!!

Exactly what de Sousa had - 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 block, 1 turnover in 7 minutes. 1-2 FT, 0-2 FG including a missed putback .

Was attendance really 1793? Looked worse on tv

37 minutes ago, Eli said:

10000% agreed.

Nichols was a head case and had multiple issues here at UA with teammates, etc., storming out of practices (and having to get talked to come back by Campbell), etc.

Definitely do NOT break the character mold.

Meh Jamar was thrown out of practice tons of times and I’m sure other players as well. As far as Nichols I was extremely critical of him last year, but he’s exactly what this lackluster team needs and is missing most.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking risks on the recruiting trail especially this past year. And In breaking mold I don’t mean going out there and getting someone who’s been arrested a dozen times or something like that. 

9 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Meh Jamar was thrown out of practice tons of times and I’m sure other players as well. As far as Nichols I was extremely critical of him last year, but he’s exactly what this lackluster team needs and is missing most.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking risks on the recruiting trail especially this past year. And In breaking mold I don’t mean going out there and getting someone who’s been arrested a dozen times or something like that. 

Jamar didn't shoot 3-14 more games than not by chucking ill advised 3 pointers with 25 seconds on the clock though. At least not that I remember.

Anyway, we're in a rough spot and I'm hoping Coach can figure it out.

Went back to the 09-10 team that was 7-25, 2-14 in AE, the last disaster of a season and looked at the roster.   It was a mismatch of parts that had no prayer of succeeding.  Hoping that the future of this team ( with possible new parts getting mixed in) can succeed quicker than that team which took 3 years to get an AE title.

09-10 Roster:

Will Harris-- as a UVA transfer was a huge disappointment 

Logan Aronhalt,John Puk, Mike Black, Blake Metcalf were all Freshman

Tim Ambrose was exciting but NO  defense 

Derek Tartt, Ralph Watts, Jake Lindfors, Fran Urli were all head cases with one foot out the door while here

Jacob Iati, Brett Gifford, Scotty McCrae,  Billy Allen, Mike Johnson all were role players who represented UA well but each had limited skill sets

Edited by nysteve661
  • Thanks 1

I'm more than a little surprised that no one has commented on Coach Brown's media comment about Healy's defense.  From today's TU :

Cameron Healy is the only one of the five freshmen in the playing rotation who is contributing consistently. He had 15 points and no turnovers but has been a defensive liability.

“Coming out of a timeout,” Brown said, “we’ve got four freshmen looking at me, all doing this (nodding). We came out in what was supposed to be a 1-2-2 three-quarters-court pressure, and it looked like 1-2-1 and Cameron was getting a pretzel at the concession stand. I have no idea where he was or what he was doing.”

I am not a fan of throwing your players under the bus publicly.  I didn't like when Coach Brown did it last year with David Nichols or in past years with other players.  It is more than a little Patsos-like.

I'm sure at least some, if not most of you are going to say it is a motivational technique.  I don't know Cameron Healy, but, in general, I do not care for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2