UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #23: 2/2/19 - 7:00PM vs Binghamton (BPG & Ferocious Feast)

Eli

I still can't say enough good things about what Clark is doing so far this year. Yes he still needs to work on decision making from time to time, but he is the fuel for this teams engine. Leading the league in assists, getting steals and the occasional block, coming from no where to grab rebounds with pure effort. I'll live with him forcing to the rim with crazy shots and even him taking some ill advised distance shots. If he can learn to figure out when his shots aren't falling and play accordingly, he could be a strong POY candidate with what he is doing. Many get on him for the problems, some of which I mentioned above, but he is having an incredible season. He is doing more in his second year (first season as part of the rotation) than Nichols did in his second year (first season as part of the rotation). 

There was a stat during the NH broadcast the blew my mind. There are 2 players in the NCAA that are averaging 2 steals, 4 boards, 2 assists, and 15+ points. The other is a pretty good player for Duke this season...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, olddog71 said:

The TU lists the attendance at 3,891. That improvement in spectators and a win will hopefully strengthen the team.

In the Gazette article,  Kelly said it was a “sell out.” That must be the capacity with the one set of bleachers now closed.

https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/02/02/healy-stars-in-ualbany-men-s-basketball-win

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I still can't say enough good things about what Clark is doing so far this year. Yes he still needs to work on decision making from time to time, but he is the fuel for this teams engine. Leading the league in assists, getting steals and the occasional block, coming from no where to grab rebounds with pure effort. I'll live with him forcing to the rim with crazy shots and even him taking some ill advised distance shots. If he can learn to figure out when his shots aren't falling and play accordingly, he could be a strong POY candidate with what he is doing. Many get on him for the problems, some of which I mentioned above, but he is having an incredible season. He is doing more in his second year (first season as part of the rotation) than Nichols did in his second year (first season as part of the rotation). 

There was a stat during the NH broadcast the blew my mind. There are 2 players in the NCAA that are averaging 2 steals, 4 boards, 2 assists, and 15+ points. The other is a pretty good player for Duke this season...

I can agree with this and I alluded to something I saw him do that impressed me. He drove and dished to an open 3pt shooter who promptly nailed it down. IF he can learn to trust his teams, use the collapsing defense to his advantage and otherwise play smart he is absolutely a force on this team. When he's 'on' he helps space the floor for Rizzuto and Healey.

There is something to be said about 95% of these guys (pretty much everyone but Campbell) only playing their first season of meaningful competition. Healey, Lulka, Hank, Clark...they were all either riding the bench of playing 5 minutes a game last year.

I'm incredibly encouraged the last 5 years. I'm pumped about UA hoops again.

2 hours ago, PurpleHoops said:

In the Gazette article,  Kelly said it was a “sell out.” That must be the capacity with the one set of bleachers now closed.

https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/02/02/healy-stars-in-ualbany-men-s-basketball-win

Yep.  Way back in the day, we figured out the actual capacity per bleacher set.  Each of the baseline bleachers was approximately 750-800 fans (total 1600) and the original set-up (before chairbacks) for the sideline bleachers was 1600, for a total of 3200 sideline seats.  The total "seat" capacity at the time was approximately 4800, with 200 seats for reporters, benches, stats, etc...for a total of 5,000 seats.  With the new capacity of just shy of 4600, I believe the sidelines now seat 3000, including the expanded courtside seats.  

So, closing a baseline would reduce capacity by about 750 actual seats...but the arena has a fire marshal allowance of the actual 5000 it was coded for during the build-out.

4 minutes ago, Eli said:

I can agree with this and I alluded to something I saw him do that impressed me. He drove and dished to an open 3pt shooter who promptly nailed it down. IF he can learn to trust his teams, use the collapsing defense to his advantage and otherwise play smart he is absolutely a force on this team. When he's 'on' he helps space the floor for Rizzuto and Healey.

There is something to be said about 95% of these guys (pretty much everyone but Campbell) only playing their first season of meaningful competition. Healey, Lulka, Hank, Clark...they were all either riding the bench of playing 5 minutes a game last year.

I'm incredibly encouraged the last 5 years. I'm pumped about UA hoops again.

You also forget Lauderdale...because he was only playing JUCO...very big difference.  Basically, every single player who plays more than 5 minutes a game but for Miller and Campbell are playing D1 for the first time.  

Kinda crazy to think!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

You also forget Lauderdale...because he was only playing JUCO...very big difference.  Basically, every single player who plays more than 5 minutes a game but for Miller and Campbell are playing D1 for the first time.  

Kinda crazy to think!

Yep. Every guy on our team is getting his first regular action pretty much. This is what gives me the most hope...that they're playing like this with such limited experience. This bodes well for us. VERY well.

Edited by Eli

1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

Can't belive rizzuto not getting more love for that d on sessoms... Kid locked him out and threw away the key. For me it starts on that end. Albany all of a sudden winning is in no small part due to how much their defense has improved. Take a bow AR

Just for clarity (and I watched the game after you told me it was on replay), Rizzuto did a great job...but it was Clark's assignment in the first half...and he did a pretty good job as well.

Truth is...I am more impressed by Healy's defensive growth than anyone.  Shoot...if he plays D the rest of his career at a minimum of what he's played in the last four games or so...then he is going to go down as an ALL-TIME...and I DO MEAN ALL-TIME Albany great.  Kid is that good.  In fact, he's doing what Cremo did not...play inspired, emotional basketball.  It's the one thing I thought was missing from Cremo's game.  

Just now, Eli said:

Yep. Every guy on team is getting his first regular action pretty much. This is what gives me the most hope...that they're playing like with such limited experience. This bodes well for us. VERY well.

Will add another great big next year who won't have to start if he can't. This program is in a really good spot going forward. Hutch may need a bit of work and may shirt. But it's great to not have to expect huge contribution from freshman going forward. 

I've watched Doherty live.  Kid is gonna be special in the AE.  Nothing flashy, just straight up a baller...very old school.  His hoops IQ is off the charts.  Our bigs will be buttressed whether he gets significant minutes or not; playing against him in practice is going to keep them all on their heels  

Edited by Dane96

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Will add another great big next year who won't have to start if he can't. This program is in a really good spot going forward. Hutch may need a bit of work and may shirt. But it's great to not have to expect huge contribution from freshman going forward. 

I think they need  a point guard next year the most . Clark will be a senior and the rest of the players play better off the ball. 

They are playing very well as of late however they really need another guard who can break down the defense . 

Edited by UA1882

8 hours ago, Clickclack said:

This program is in a really good spot going forward.  

I mean this in a good way but it's funny how things change in a short period of time. It went form this roster needs a complete overhaul and these guys are not D1 players and Borwn and staff should be fired to 'this program is in a really good spot'.  Amazing what some growth and experience can do.

9 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

I mean this in a good way but it's funny how things change in a short period of time. It went form this roster needs a complete overhaul and these guys are not D1 players and Borwn and staff should be fired to 'this program is in a really good spot'.  Amazing what some growth and experience can do.

I make NO APOLOGIES FOR MY GAS TOTTING WAYS...

tenor.gif?itemid=7182560

But seriously, that's the fun of being a fan. I for one don't know what the he** is going on, I go off the deep end, a loss usually ruins my entire day. But this is starting to get fun again. 

Edited by Clickclack