UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #18: 1/16/19 - 7:00PM @ UMass Lowell

Eli

4 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I think Malachi's greatest asset right now is his length at the top of the press or zone...I'd play him more, go much heavier zone and go from there. I don't know what happened to French that he can't even get in. 

This is an interesting idea--I like it. Man to man is pointless, and we have to concede certain shots. We are not good enough to cover the entire half court effectively.

So, like you suggested, maybe we put some length on the perimeter; that's what makes Syracuse's zone so effective.

Would you go 3-2 or 1-3-1? I like BU's approach against Michigan two weeks ago: stop 3s and dunks and make the modern day players make semi-contested 2s from mid range. Kids don't practice mid-range jumpers anymore. BU totally conceded the high post to Michigan's bigs and conceded the mid-range running jumpers. It worked like magic for about 34 minutes. I won't get into why it did not work for the final few minutes.

A 3-2 with De Sousa, Campbell, and someone else on the perimeter and two bigs down on the blocks: French/Hank and Lulka? It seems bizarre to concede 15-17 footers, but maybe it isn't ... (ask Binghamton).

I would not go 2-3 zone because these small schools live off the three, and we all know what a 2-3 zone gives up. 

Also, when playing a zone, perhaps view the half court as two sides or halves. Keep the opponent out of the middle. Give them the side and corner and make them make lower percentage shots from the sides and corners. Once a defense accepts that it can concede some space and shots, it gives you more control over what terrain and shots you will concede and what areas of the court you will protect well. A bait and calculated risk, if you will. Just some ideas for a team with historically bad defense. 

But what do I know. Thoughts?

Edited by UA_MA_2000
  • Like 1

Lauderdale is growing on me. Good energy, active and mixes it up a bit. I agree with playing Miller more too. If the young guys are not coming along how you want, then put in the older guys and maybe they can turn it around. 

Lulka reminds me of a Devlin or Brian Connelly type player. Brian Connelly is a perfect example for what a lot of these kids can hopefully become. It took Brian a year or two to work himself into the rotation but by his Junior and Senior year he was extremely important to the success of the team. Give Lulka some time and I think he will be ok. Same with Rizzutto. Best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores.

Someone earlier mentioned that Clark has pretty much replaced Nichols spot and I disagree here. Nichols was bigger, stronger and faster. He drove and attacked the rim and could finish because he was a bigger body. He attacked in transition, sometimes to our displeasure, but his team ran and got out in transition much more with him running the show. 

Really surprised Flory had so much hype around him and hasn't done anything since coming back from injury. They seemed very excited to be able to add him to the line up and acted like he was going to give us some real punch on offense. I haven't seen it at all. 

10 hours ago, Dane06grad said:

Lauderdale is growing on me. Good energy, active and mixes it up a bit. I agree with playing Miller more too. If the young guys are not coming along how you want, then put in the older guys and maybe they can turn it around. 

Lulka reminds me of a Devlin or Brian Connelly type player. Brian Connelly is a perfect example for what a lot of these kids can hopefully become. It took Brian a year or two to work himself into the rotation but by his Junior and Senior year he was extremely important to the success of the team. Give Lulka some time and I think he will be ok. Same with Rizzutto. Best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores.

Someone earlier mentioned that Clark has pretty much replaced Nichols spot and I disagree here. Nichols was bigger, stronger and faster. He drove and attacked the rim and could finish because he was a bigger body. He attacked in transition, sometimes to our displeasure, but his team ran and got out in transition much more with him running the show. 

Really surprised Flory had so much hype around him and hasn't done anything since coming back from injury. They seemed very excited to be able to add him to the line up and acted like he was going to give us some real punch on offense. I haven't seen it at all. 

Couple of observations on your post...

With Clark, Albany is playing at a slightly FASTER not slower pace. Last year, average possession length was 19.1 sec or good for 323 in the country. This year average possession length is 18.3 sec or 287 in the country. They are actually playing faster not slower. Obviously there is a difference between running and shorter possessions but I think they run a good deal this year as well. Adjusted tempo metric which is a better indicator of pushing pace appears to be almost identical. 

As for Connelly vs. Lulka comparison...to be honest what Lulka is doing is unprecedented things for a big at UA. He is FAR more advanced then any big we've ever had at UA at this stage in his career. Connelly played a LOT of minutes as a freshman and Lulka is blowing his numbers out of the water. Lulka has a CHANCE to be really special at UA. This coming from me who almost torched him to the ground after his game at Iona to open career. 

tfMmoPP.png

LX7f8Of.png

Edited by Clickclack

On 1/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, Clickclack said:

Couple of observations on your post...

With Clark, Albany is playing at a slightly FASTER not slower pace. Last year, average possession length was 19.1 sec or good for 323 in the country. This year average possession length is 18.3 sec or 287 in the country. They are actually playing faster not slower. Obviously there is a difference between running and shorter possessions but I think they run a good deal this year as well. Adjusted tempo metric which is a better indicator of pushing pace appears to be almost identical. 

As for Connelly vs. Lulka comparison...to be honest what Lulka is doing is unprecedented things for a big at UA. He is FAR more advanced then any big we've ever had at UA at this stage in his career. Connelly played a LOT of minutes as a freshman and Lulka is blowing his numbers out of the water. Lulka has a CHANCE to be really special at UA. This coming from me who almost torched him to the ground after his game at Iona to open career. 

tfMmoPP.png

LX7f8Of.png

Connelly played an average of 5.2 minutes as a freshman. He played an average of 21 or so as a sophomore. I didn't think he played that many as a sophomore and was mistaken there, but was almost certain he wasn't much of a contributor as a freshman. 

I would be interested to see transition points for this years team vs last years team. Some of you stat gurus can probably find this pretty quickly. I would be surprised if last years team wasn't far superior.