UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

5 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

We got the world a while ago that the scrimmage is being held indoors so no spectators. Hence, there will be no report :(

Well that sucks.  I have a close friend who is Rutgers Alum and lives not too far away and was going to go and report back to me [and maybe film for me]

• Like 1

I got a quick message about the game.

Overall it sounded like it went pretty well, but I don't know how long our first line guys played versus theirs so definitely take this with a grain of salt.

The score was about even after the first quarter. We got blitzed at the face off early, but it wound up being a tie after the first quarter. 2nd quarter was classic Danes. The offense exploded and it was at least a 6-8 to zero quarter for the Danes. Evidently Tehoka was unstoppable, and Sean Eccles was sniping like crazy. Starting at attack was Tehoka, Patterson, and Laffin, but I guess the surprise offensive standout was Yunker the freshmen. Don't be surprised if he winds up playing a lot or even starting. The rest of the midfield played solid, but no one else really stood out in a big way so there is still some offensive production that needs to come from other guys. 

Sounded like face offs were not great, but some of it was wing play. The goalies played good. It isn't really clear who should be starting, but Siekierski is still in the lead position. I didn't get anything on the defense. 

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about going to Colgate, but the long range forecast for next Saturday -20 to -30 windchill. If it was @ UA, that would not stop me, but that cold and two hours from home, I may have to reconsider. Maybe they will move it back to Albany indoors. I know there are a couple of places around here that UA has used from time to time (Afrims--Latham, Glens Falls, Glenmont). Here's hoping. Anyhow, thanks for the update sounds like the team will surprise the doubters [hopefully.]

• Like 1

My biggest reason to think we might see a step back in the near term was based upon how would Tehoka reintegrate with his teammates, and how would Coach Marr and Coach Thomson put the most dangerous and effective group on the field.

I love Jakob Patterson, but in the past he would have a monster game and then disappear which we were able to absorb when Connor was healthy, and with a savvy veteran like J Reh. I will be happy to eat a major dose of crow, but at least what I have seen Jakob doesn't seem to have the alpha dog mentality, which is ok, so don't make him be the alpha dog. I guess you could have said the same with Connor initially, but he definitely developed it in a big way. We didn't get to see Tehoka and Jakob in the fall, and in the fall games without Tehoka, Eccles,  Laffin and as we are seeing with the emergence of Yunker there is a potent mix in there somewhere. And don't forget Diamond, and McComber.

I don't know what the right mix is, but if the moment isn't too big for him it seems to me that Tehoka, and some combination of Yunker, Laffin, and Diamond at attack would be really interesting, and then have Jakob playing up top where he will make defenses put a pole on him or our best outside shooter, Sean Eccles. The risk of not having Jakob at attack is that he could get stuck on defense. That is a tough call, but I think the offensive hole on the team is in the offensive midfield, and we seem to have more than three first line attackmen. 

Can't read too much into one scrimmage, but you had to think Rutgers was putting their best forward with a game next week, and with only a week of practice Albany probably over performed expectations, and you could see from Coach Marr's remarks on Friday before the game that he and the team believes the pundits got it wrong.

Yes we lost a lot, but we didn't have a healthy Connor Fields for at least half the season and his coming in and out disrupted the continuity. That came through loud and clear in the Dane Train documentary.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

My biggest reason to think we might see a step back in the near term was based upon how would Tehoka reintegrate with his teammates, and how would Coach Marr and Coach Thomson put the most dangerous and effective group on the field.

I love Jakob Patterson, but in the past he would have a monster game and then disappear which we were able to absorb when Connor was healthy, and with a savvy veteran like J Reh. I will be happy to eat a major dose of crow, but at least what I have seen Jakob doesn't seem to have the alpha dog mentality, which is ok, so don't make him be the alpha dog. I guess you could have said the same with Connor initially, but he definitely developed it in a big way. We didn't get to see Tehoka and Jakob in the fall, and in the fall games without Tehoka, Eccles,  Laffin and as we are seeing with the emergence of Yunker there is a potent mix in there somewhere. And don't forget Diamond, and McComber.

I don't know what the right mix is, but if the moment isn't too big for him it seems to me that Tehoka, and some combination of Yunker, Laffin, and Diamond at attack would be really interesting, and then have Jakob playing up top where he will make defenses put a pole on him or our best outside shooter, Sean Eccles. The risk of not having Jakob at attack is that he could get stuck on defense. That is a tough call, but I think the offensive hole on the team is in the offensive midfield, and we seem to have more than three first line attackmen. 

Can't read too much into one scrimmage, but you had to think Rutgers was putting their best forward with a game next week, and with only a week of practice Albany probably over performed expectations, and you could see from Coach Marr's remarks on Friday before the game that he and the team believes the pundits got it wrong.

Yes we lost a lot, but we didn't have a healthy Connor Fields for at least half the season and his coming in and out disrupted the continuity. That came through loud and clear in the Dane Train documentary.

Well done.  Yes Connor was not healthy for at least 1/2 the season and once the team jelled it jelled.  I certainly hope face-off is not a huge issue this year.   We need to be in the 50 - 60% range .  I am concerned about the goal too and O middies.  Middies were a major plus last year.  With our O Philosophy we need to have good ones.

• Like 1

Albany has definitely been an attack driven offense, but IMO our surprising lack of success in EMO's and against zone defenses is related to being too attack driven and not having enough guys who can make defense and goalies pay if they sit back in a zone. I would suspect that with the shot clock you will see a lot of zone played against us this year. We have some guys who have the ability to do that so we'll see.

11 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Albany has definitely been an attack driven offense, but IMO our surprising lack of success in EMO's and against zone defenses is related to being too attack driven and not having enough guys who can make defense and goalies pay if they sit back in a zone. I would suspect that with the shot clock you will see a lot of zone played against us this year. We have some guys who have the ability to do that so we'll see.

Great two way middies are hard to come by.  Luckily we have had some.  Hope this years guys will produce a couple too!

22 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I don't know what the right mix is, but if the moment isn't too big for him it seems to me that Tehoka, and some combination of Yunker, Laffin, and Diamond at attack would be really interesting, and then have Jakob playing up top where he will make defenses put a pole on him or our best outside shooter, Sean Eccles

Agree 100% Obviously I am not a coach; but I feel you are right on with Jakob, who seems so much more comfortable on top. Laffin and especially Tehoka have the size to mix it up around the cage. Diamond & Yunker (I assume) are quick enough to free themselves for shots while Laffin and Tehoka are being doubled. Add McComber to the mix and the attack would be quick, shifty and STRONG. From watching McComber in the fall, I also feel his quickness would make him an excellent man-up person. He seems pretty tough to cover full strength, imagine trying short handed. Jakob up front would also allow the middies to focus more on defense, FO help, and bringing the ball across. With the attack fire power we have, we could use the more "defensive minded" middies. 

"OK we solved scoring. I'll get back to you on defensive and goal strategy after the $iena scrimmage:"   { NOT----------! }

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Agree 100% Obviously I am not a coach; but I feel you are right on with Jakob, who seems so much more comfortable on top. Laffin and especially Tehoka have the size to mix it up around the cage. Diamond & Yunker (I assume) are quick enough to free themselves for shots while Laffin and Tehoka are being doubled. Add McComber to the mix and the attack would be quick, shifty and STRONG. From watching McComber in the fall, I also feel his quickness would make him an excellent man-up person. He seems pretty tough to cover full strength, imagine trying short handed. Jakob up front would also allow the middies to focus more on defense, FO help, and bringing the ball across. With the attack fire power we have, we could use the more "defensive minded" middies. 

"OK we solved scoring. I'll get back to you on defensive and goal strategy after the $iena scrimmage:"   { NOT----------! }

LOL - just need to get us on the payroll!

I would be shocked if McComber isn't on the man up offense. I still think the starting attack is Tehoka, Laffin, and Patterson, but by all accounts Yunker is right there with Mitch. Mitch has trimmed down, but still is more of an off ball/catch and shoot player. Yunker can dodge, and at least in high school was an insane feeder. I heard he had several assists with the starters, and I just don't see Mitch having that in his game so  much, but it really depends on the complementary skills.

• Like 1