UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

In the T-U story on the scrimmage https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Siena-UAlbany-men-s-lacrosse-meet-in-scrimmage-13599350.php

Marr said not to expect Siena to become a regular-season opponent anytime soon. He's more focused on trying to get Rutgers of the Big Ten on the schedule. "Right now, probably keep (Siena) as a scrimmage, if we can,''

UAlbany opens its season at Syracuse on Feb. 16. Marr said he wants his players to sharpen their mental edge against Siena following scrimmages against Rutgers and Colgate the past two weeks.

Siena sophomore midfielder Nick Pepe of Shaker will be in an interesting situation on Friday. While he's playing against UAlbany, his younger brother Wil will be at Casey Stadium on his official visit. He's already committed to play for the Great Danes next season.

Former UAlbany players Derrick Eccles and Tim Cox of Schenectady are on Liam Gleason's staff at $iena

Went to scrimmage, saw first half and part of third period. Issues early with face - offs things improve as game played on. ... Goalie play improve ...saw the ball better as game progressed ... The plan for the offense was running plays to score vs just going out to score.  Lots of discipline shown this afternoon.  I think more of this team after Colgate beat Syracuse and watching their play against Colgate last week.

Edited by cwdickens
Spelling

8 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Went to scrimmage, saw first half and part of third period. Issues early with face - offs things improve as game played on. ... Goalie play improve ...saw the ball better as game progressed ... The plan for the offense was running plays to score vs just going out to score.  Lots of decline shown this afternoon.  I think more of this team after Colgate beat Syracuse and watching their play against Colgate last week.

Agree based on the Colgate Syracuse game.  Still have to work on ground balls???  How did they do on ground balls?

Scrimmage Report:  I got my new glasses finally, so no excuses except being ignorant and it was cold:

qtr.1 4--3;  @ half 10/11-3;  by end of 3rd lcc closed to around 14--7(8);  4th qtr was a 20 minute continuous clock play--i stayed for 10 or 12 minutes before succumbing to the cold @ about a score of 15--10(11).

So let me start in the 4th. On attack McComber and Yunker were fed by Davis Diamond (who I was surprised played little or not at all previously--he may have fallen on the depth chart or just a strategic scrimmage move??). The trio did not work at all in the 10-12 minutes I watched. Maybe too cold or too much standing on the sidelines by this time (even though McComber and Yunker had been playing some minutes previously); but they seemed totally out of sync. Maybe they got it better after I left. Any die hards stay all the way, might want to comment. 

The goal tending in the 3rd and 4th was pretty awful. Sierkierski played about 3 ½ qtrs and IMHO played very well; even though I believe he was still in when lcc made its run after ½ time. Yoquinto was just plain bad; even though I have never been truly able to tell if a goalie is bad or the defense is bad or both?? I have been/am most disappointed in the defense so far through three scrimmages (2 seen live). Remember I pleaded "ignorants" in advance; and may not know what I am talking about, but on paper and by whom we have back and recruited, I thought D was going to be an area of STRENGHT. So far I have not seen it.

The UA offense seems, well like a UA offense. Tehoka is unstoppable, had at least 4 goals before Marr slowed him down (Tehoka in addition to his goals, twice had 20 to 25 foot shots dead on, no one near him, that you knew he could burry, but both times he stepped back and waited to run a play.) Patterson had a couple nice goals: laffin at least two assists; Kyle Casey had a behind the back beauty (some one said it was not him, but i think it was) and another goal. Got a goal from second year middie #42 Peter Schwab; but speaking of un-stoppable Eccles was firing from LONG range and nailed 3 or 4 at least. I don't think he missed or was saved more than once or twice.I am not sure  how this all totals up, but I had the Burgmasters for a goal each and maybe Yunker for one. Its a fast game and with the shot clock faster than before, so easy to miss who gets the points with no score board or public address announcer. So I apologize for any discrepancies in my reports, but take my word for it offensively UA will be as good or better than usual.

Face-offs a work in progress. Nuff said.

• Like 1

ps. #15 Jr. Doug Goldsmith seems to be getting a lot of minutes in the past two scrimmages. A couple people in my group have been impressed with his play. Have not seen much or any or #14 Justin Cavallo who looked pretty good in fall ball?? I have had high hopes for #20 Noah Taylor who came to UA pretty highly touted , but over his 3 years here always seems just short of getting serious minutes. Still seems only getting back-up minutes??

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

I heard it was really cold, windy, and quite of the few guys were sick. Good to get through all of the scrimmages with just about everyone healthy.

I guess some takeaways from the first week is that is going to be a crazy season, and the key is going to improve throughout the season.

I thought defense was going to be a relative strength but have to say I am a bit underwhelmed, but haven't heard what the rotation looked like.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

8 minutes ago, olddog71 said:

Can someone refresh me on the outcome of the scrimmage against Colgate? I'm not sure I saw much here that was very specific.

I wasn't able to make it to Colgate, but got a pretty good debrief from a few of the parents. In light of Colgate's win over Syracuse it puts a few things in perspective. I would say ground balls and face off's by Colgate made it a close game, and Colgate was amazing on ground balls last night against Syracuse and did pretty well on face off's. The scrimmage was supposedly very physical and fast paced. It wound up being a tie after four quarters and Albany won the bonus quarter. We had a few key guys nicked up who didn't play or played very little.

The team apparently played better against Rutgers the week before.