UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Well We have to do it - Maryland coming in on Saturday!

I was able to watch the game on demand, and I have to say the announcers really gelled this week and some great analysis. 

Mike talked repeatedly about the unnecessary slides. Yes the defense in spurts played really well in forcing 5-6 shot clock violations, but once again 75% of the opponents goals are coming from offense we either directly facilitate or indirectly through an ill advised slide that leads directly to a goal or the eventual breakdown in the team defense when someone else can't recover.

Is the coaching or stupid, horrible lacrosse IQ? It really is ridiculous. I wish someone would press Marr and Maloney on this, because it is killing us. Are there other guys on the bench who are better team defensive players, because at the end of the day it is about how the defensive unit plays as a unit and this group isn't getting it done or they are being asked to do something that can't be done??

Offensively the ball movement is very crisp and this is a huge week in practice to figure out which group of players work well together. With or without Tehoka there is no obvious X guy or quarterback. Patterson has the ability to it, and maybe he has to assume that role. Diamond is shifty, but seems to be better as more of an off ball, finisher than initiator. It looks like Marr and Thomson have pulled back from Yunker despite the early praise (unless he is injured).

The thing I have noticed is that we are just not a great shooting team. In both the UMass game and yesterday we did have a fair amount of good looks, but just are not putting it past the goalie. I imagine that part of it is we know we don't have a big margin for error and guys are trying to make perfect shots.

Is Altamri hurt? in the doghouse? After two sub par performances by Jones something is up.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I was able to watch the game on demand, and I have to say the announcers really gelled this week and some great analysis. 

Mike talked repeatedly about the unnecessary slides. Yes the defense in spurts played really well in forcing 5-6 shot clock violations, but once again 75% of the opponents goals are coming from offense we either directly facilitate or indirectly through an ill advised slide that leads directly to a goal or the eventual breakdown in the team defense when someone else can't recover.

Is the coaching or stupid, horrible lacrosse IQ? It really is ridiculous. I wish someone would press Marr and Maloney on this, because it is killing us. Are there other guys on the bench who are better team defensive players, because at the end of the day it is about how the defensive unit plays as a unit and this group isn't getting it done or they are being asked to do something that can't be done??

Offensively the ball movement is very crisp and this is a huge week in practice to figure out which group of players work well together. With or without Tehoka there is no obvious X guy or quarterback. Patterson has the ability to it, and maybe he has to assume that role. Diamond is shifty, but seems to be better as more of an off ball, finisher than initiator. It looks like Marr and Thomson have pulled back from Yunker despite the early praise (unless he is injured).

The thing I have noticed is that we are just not a great shooting team. In both the UMass game and yesterday we did have a fair amount of good looks, but just are not putting it past the goalie. I imagine that part of it is we know we don't have a big margin for error and guys are trying to make perfect shots.

Is Altamri hurt? in the doghouse? After two sub par performances by Jones something is up.

Exactly what I was talking to my buddy about during the game, unnecessary slides or late slides leaving #32 open for a clear shots inside [also # 1 a couple of times]. Same Def. guys every game too.  I am not sure what the rotating wings was all about either.  The two who have been best at it did not stay there.  Also not sure why a couple of them were rotating into wing.  They are just plain slow!!!    When a kid is slow on his feet at close def it is GLARING.  One or two steps and he is beat and they score a goal.   I still say they looked better than they have this year.  I don't know about Altamari either.  But early when he played he was getting beat even more.  

Twice Perla [if I remember correctly it was him], got hung up in the goal fram and tripped allowing his guy a free shot coming around the net!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Exactly what I was talking to my buddy about during the game, unnecessary slides or late slides leaving #32 open for a clear shots inside [also # 1 a couple of times]. Same Def. guys every game too.  I am not sure what the rotating wings was all about either.  The two who have been best at it did not stay there.  Also not sure why a couple of them were rotating into wing.  They are just plain slow!!!    When a kid is slow on his feet at close def it is GLARING.  One or two steps and he is beat and they score a goal.   I still say they looked better than they have this year.  I don't know about Altamari either.  But early when he played he was getting beat even more.  

Altamari definitely struggled in the Drexel game and you could say the same about Jones in the last two. Have to assume there is more to the story if they are not even throwing Altamari out there to at least see if a different FOGO can mix things up when the primary guy is having a tough day.

Going to be a big week of practice on a lot of fronts. How do you deal with sitting your "best" player? Worst start in a long, long time, and still very unsettled offensive line ups.

Laffin should almost be the 4th guy out of the box. He has amazing hands and is one of the best shooter, but just isn't a threat as a traditional attackmen. He has a nice offensive punch, and similar to Eccles, Thomson has to find creative ways to give him hands free opportunities. Kid is just too good of a shooter to be on the bench when we are searching for answers on offense, but I don't think it as a traditional attackmen.

At this point Marr has to sh*t or get off the pot with Tehoka. This he's in, he's out isn't going to work. If yesterday was Marr making a statement about poor team behavior then so be it, and just go with the guys you are going to go with and let the chips fall where they fall.

5 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Altamari definitely struggled in the Drexel game and you could say the same about Jones in the last two. Have to assume there is more to the story if they are not even throwing Altamari out there to at least see if a different FOGO can mix things up when the primary guy is having a tough day.

Going to be a big week of practice on a lot of fronts. How do you deal with sitting your "best" player? Worst start in a long, long time, and still very unsettled offensive line ups.

Laffin should almost be the 4th guy out of the box. He has amazing hands and is one of the best shooter, but just isn't a threat as a traditional attackmen. He has a nice offensive punch, and similar to Eccles, Thomson has to find creative ways to give him hands free opportunities. Kid is just too good of a shooter to be on the bench when we are searching for answers on offense, but I don't think it as a traditional attackmen.

At this point Marr has to sh*t or get off the pot with Tehoka. This he's in, he's out isn't going to work. If yesterday was Marr making a statement about poor team behavior then so be it, and just go with the guys you are going to go with and let the chips fall where they fall.

Agree!

Based on other scores U Albany may be better than we thought and right on the cusp!!.  Cornell POUNDING #1 ranked Towson

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dslyank said:

Not sure I've ever seen a year where as soon as a team gets to number 1 or 2, they get beat. Also so many upsets by "upstarts."  Makes our 10 week run as number 1 last year pretty remarkable

Yes.  Don't know if it is national recruiting that ALL teams can now take part in BUT there seems to be far more parity across D1 lacrosse this year.