UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Benson's Contract

kikuria

Fire his a$$. Eat the contract if need be. He has done a terrible job. I have been on the fence concerning Benson. But as you can see I jumped off. Can Not think of one positive thing he has done {I am sure there must be some.} But without listing them, IMHO there are many negative things {we all have our lists & opinions of things he has done poorly/badly.}  And the bottom line for me is simply the program has not gone forward during his administration and in many ways has regressed.

• Like 2

Most of the accolades Benson gives himself are not really even "his". Most were done by or ushered by other people in the University for athletics.

I think most people know that he is not a coaches AD but an administrative AD. McElroy was a Coaches AD but let the administrative side of the house fall apart. Benson was brought in to be the other side of the spectrum supposedly focusing on fundraising and administrative stuff. He also sold himself as someone who would increase community and fan involvement with the program.

However the large fundraising that they have done has actually been the work of Development (schools fundraising arm) not Benson. GDAC is actually under Development and is partially under Athletics (joint venture). Securing the scoreboard funds, the football stadium naming rights were also key things that were done by Development.

We have more professional season tickets with pictures. And that's really cool but we no longer see much if any advertising on billboards or TV as we originally did when he first got here. There are also few if none GDAC listening sessions etc. (Because we would all be there to complain I'm sure....) There is also no interaction with fans at the games at GDAC area. They now use money to pay for security to kick us out of a basketball game 5 minutes after it ends. And have yet to tell anyone publicly why they are doing that.

Then the whole Gattuso thing....

You have that whole seat debacle with the stadium where they told us we couldn't bring in our seats and then retract a year after when they realized they didn't know what they were doing. (Making up that it was UPD)

They also charge for parking which I can tell you no other America East School does and barely any school that I go visit for away basketball games does. I truly can't think of the last non UA college sporting event I went to that charged parking.  (And the fact that they jack the price for good games is price gouging..)

A lot of unkept promises from when he was hired. And agreed as others have pointed out...infact seems worse in many ways. Especially the operations side ...still as bad as it was under McElroy.. we just are now paying more for bad services (but pretty tickets).

Hmm I think we got the short end of the stick.. 

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was a McElroy guy.  Fundraising was by far his biggest negative.  You have to ask people to give you money, that is sadly a big part of the job.  Dr. McElroy presided over the growth of the most successful athletics program in the America East.  That athletic success was never translated into financial success.  There was no GDAC until Benson got here.  Other than that we have seen nothing but incompetence out of his reign.  Mr. Benson does not have the experience or the personality to run a D1 athletic program.  After five years here all he has to show is that he created a fundraising group that is mostly funded by forcing people to donate money in order to pay for their overpriced season tickets.  Time for a change at the top.  Let President Rodriguez know that we can do better and we expect better.

Edited by sarge965
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

Most of the accolades Benson gives himself are not really even "his". Most were done by or ushered by other people in the University for athletics.

I think most people know that he is not a coaches AD but an administrative AD. McElroy was a Coaches AD but let the administrative side of the house fall apart. Benson was brought in to be the other side of the spectrum supposedly focusing on fundraising and administrative stuff. He also sold himself as someone who would increase community and fan involvement with the program.

However the large fundraising that they have done has actually been the work of Development (schools fundraising arm) not Benson. GDAC is actually under Development and is partially under Athletics (joint venture). Securing the scoreboard funds, the football stadium naming rights were also key things that were done by Development.

We have more professional season tickets with pictures. And that's really cool but we no longer see much if any advertising on billboards or TV as we originally did when he first got here. There are also few if none GDAC listening sessions etc. (Because we would all be there to complain I'm sure....) There is also no interaction with fans at the games at GDAC area. They now use money to pay for security to kick us out of a basketball game 5 minutes after it ends. And have yet to tell anyone publicly why they are doing that.

Then the whole Gattuso thing....

You have that whole seat debacle with the stadium where they told us we couldn't bring in our seats and then retract a year after when they realized they didn't know what they were doing. (Making up that it was UPD)

They also charge for parking which I can tell you no other America East School does and barely any school that I go visit for away basketball games does. I truly can't think of the last non UA college sporting event I went to that charged parking.  (And the fact that they jack the price for good games is price gouging..)

A lot of unkept promises from when he was hired. And agreed as others have pointed out...infact seems worse in many ways. Especially the operations side ...still as bad as it was under McElroy.. we just are now paying more for bad services (but pretty tickets).

Hmm I think we got the short end of the stick.. 

This post nails it... This is how many many people feel. This man should be let go this summer... Useless AD and doesn't know what he's doing by destroying the football program, title 9, pricing many fans out of sefcu with stupid pricing and parking policies on and on and on. 

Has done zero to rebuild facilities... Deadbeat. 

Now there are some whispers that brown is in trouble at least on Twitter from folks that follow these things. 

I'm really down on Benson, he has done zero to elevate UA athletics. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sarge965 said:

I was a McElroy guy.  Fundraising was by far his biggest negative.  You have to ask people to give you money, that is sadly a big part of the job.  Dr. McElroy presided over the growth of the most successful athletics program in the America East.  That athletic success was never translated into financial success.  There was no GDAC until Benson got here.  Other than that we have seen nothing but incompetence out of his reign.  Mr. Benson does not have the experience or the personality to run a D1 athletic program.  After five years here all he has to show is that he created a fundraising group that is mostly funded by forcing people to donate money in order to pay for their overpriced season tickets.  Time for a change at the top.  Let President Rodriguez know that we can do better and we expect better.

What's the best avenue to get a hold of him? Email? 

1 hour ago, haggyland said:

I'll temporarily come out of my hibernation to offer one avenue: His telephone number is 518-442-BLOB.

No joke!

I think he means the President per Sarge's last note, not Benson..(?).

I'm sure Pres Rodriguez email, Twitter and phone number are listed on the UA site some place.

Edited by MRSGDG

5 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

I truly can't think of the last non UA college sporting event I went to that charged parking.  (And the fact that they jack the price for good games is price gouging..)

Syracuse lacrosse parking now up to $15. Was 7 when I first started going out there for lax, maybe 8-10 years ago. General admission now also $15. Likewise $7 when I first started going to UA -cuse games. But I agree for an AMEast team to charge what we do for parking is bad; except if cuse ever does comes to UA, I hope we charge them double/triple; as Scrooge says a "lot of back payments" their.

Edited by dslyank

3 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I am not impressed as well, but u find it highly unlikely he is fired. I just dont see it. 

What do people mean by Brown is in trouble ? For what ? And what does that have to do with Benson ? 

Vague non-specific Twitter musing by people who follow this stuff. Not sure there's anything to it... But something to watch for.