UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Just got back from the game.   I think they MAY have figured it out.  UMass came out shooting a LOT.  Only saw a couple of bad slides from close D.  They played far better inside and covered most of the guys who tried to get free inside.  Jones was only 10 of 28 but we got the ball on turnovers.  Siekierski had 14 saves.  Game summary isn't up so I don't know how many ground balls we got.   tehoka had some great passes  as did Patterson.  Laffin was the recipient many times and played well - gotta keep him healthy!  Thoughts??

They looked far better on both sides of the ball, but it may just be the level of competition. FO was a struggle. Nate did fine. Good ball movement and TN shot and distributed well. Laffin  had the range and they kept feeding him. Not much to complain about other than the FO stat. 

6 minutes ago, jimbo said:

They looked far better on both sides of the ball, but it may just be the level of competition. FO was a struggle. Nate did fine. Good ball movement and TN shot and distributed well. Laffin  had the range and they kept feeding him. Not much to complain about other than the FO stat. 

Agree. Def still had lapses AND we still had too many unforced errors including turnovers and bad passes!

21 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Just got back from the game.   I think they MAY have figured it out.  UMass came out shooting a LOT.  Only saw a couple of bad slides from close D.  They played far better inside and covered most of the guys who tried to get free inside.  Jones was only 10 of 28 but we got the ball on turnovers.  Siekierski had 14 saves.  Game summary isn't up so I don't know how many ground balls we got.   tehoka had some great passes  as did Patterson.  Laffin was the recipient many times and played well - gotta keep him healthy!  Thoughts??

Lost ground balls 31-37, won turnovers 12-19. Extra man 2 of 4.

Attendance was 1,532

3 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Lost ground balls 31-37, won turnovers 12-19. Extra man 2 of 4.

Attendance was 1,532

It was as cold as the last two games because of the wind!!  We lose ground balls that are impossible to understand why!!  It comes down to us just not being as aggressive as the other teams I think.

12 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

We needed this win, but think overall it was a bit of fool’s gold. UML is a terrible team, and I agree at times the offense looked potent, especially on that big run, but can’t stress enough how bad they were. Should have won that game 20-5 and emptied the bench.

That being said ball movement was good but as HOF said it did get sloppy and we played a shorter bench.

Man down defense and wing play was still suspect.

Definitely good enough to win most AE games this season, but not much of a margin of error.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

11 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

We needed this win, but think overall it was a bit of fool’s gold. UML is a terrible team, and I agree at times the offense looked potent, especially on that big run, but can’t stress enough how bad they were. Should have won that game 20-5 and emptied the bench.

That being said ball movement was good but as HOF said it did get sloppy and we played a shorter bench.

Man down defense and wing play was still suspect.

Definitely good enough to win most AE games this season, but not much of a margin of error.

I did notice that a few guys did play that I have not seen in there much.  I think maybe they wanted to get the chemistry working going into the rest of the season.  As Coach had said during the week they made changes, worked on them and finally got Tehoka to understand how they wanted to use him.  He only tried to force a couple of times late in the game.  FO was terrible again - still rotating the wings and at least one of the rotations wasn't very aggressive.  A couple of unneeded slides led directly to goals by them again!!!  Same suspects - I did not see Dluhy in close D.  Perla did play better. BUT the brothers still got beat one on one a couple of times for goals AGAIN.  We did force 5 shot clock violations again.  All it takes is one step and they are just slow a foot!!!!   If we don't win the league there is a problem!! We have Harvard coming up and they are awful this year too.     There is so much parity across the D I this year it is astounding, except for a couple of teams - who also have all lost a game. 

Edited by HOF2013

We should keep winning till Yale.  Vermont is the only AE team that could beat us if we play like crap which unfortunately we have done this season at times.  Bing is horrid,  UMBC defense way overrated, Hartford just beat a bad SBU team.  SBU board wants Nagle fired like yesterday as they can not believe Long Island lax talent will not consider SBU for the cheap price and playing near friends and family.  Heard Hofstra has the same problem, no one stays home.  IL just did their top 25 high school teams and usual suspects from LI like Garden City, Ward Melville, St Anthony's are on it and list where the juniors and seniors are going and they are all going off the island.  

58 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

We should keep winning till Yale.  Vermont is the only AE team that could beat us if we play like crap which unfortunately we have done this season at times.  Bing is horrid,  UMBC defense way overrated, Hartford just beat a bad SBU team.  SBU board wants Nagle fired like yesterday as they can not believe Long Island lax talent will not consider SBU for the cheap price and playing near friends and family.  Heard Hofstra has the same problem, no one stays home.  IL just did their top 25 high school teams and usual suspects from LI like Garden City, Ward Melville, St Anthony's are on it and list where the juniors and seniors are going and they are all going off the island.  

Staying close to home versus playing for North Carolina, Duke. Virginia or Maryland, perhaps an Ivy school, I believe student -athletes will take leaving the "island".  I believe there is an attraction playing in the ACC, Ivy or BIG-10 vs. the America East or the CAA.  I agree that Vermont is a dangerous team.  Question:  Does it not seem the talent level (overall) dropped off dramatically this year in the AE conference?

Tried to watch the replay after I got home; but it was not up last night. So solely based on my live perspective, have to complain about a couple of things. Face-offs were terrible and a number of new players played wing yesterday (for the first time I think) and IMHO they were worse than the kids used before.The Burgmasters' (who have been @ wing sparingly this year) were the only wings who showed me anything yesterday. I also thought ground balls were terrible; felt worse than the 31-37 stats reported. Not only did the wings hardly get any; we gave up at least 2 EASY goals on ground balls that squirted out of scrums to wide open mass players.

2018 said we should have won 20-5, and I agree;  if we had done a better job on ground balls, mass would have scored less and UA more. Also, when mass made a run in the fourth, it was against some newbies on defense. However, I do not agree that mass is that bad a team. IMHO in a bad AmEast, they could finish 2nd or 3rd; partly because the league is just that bad and partly because I did not see mass yesterday being bad.

Reserve the right to change my opinions, if I am able to watch the replay later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I did notice that a few guys did play that I have not seen in there much.  I think maybe they wanted to get the chemistry working going into the rest of the season.  As Coach had said during the week they made changes, worked on them and finally got Tehoka to understand how they wanted to use him.  He only tried to force a couple of times late in the game.  FO was terrible again - still rotating the wings and at least one of the rotations wasn't very aggressive.  A couple of unneeded slides led directly to goals by them again!!!  Same suspects - I did not see Dluhy in close D.  Perla did play better. BUT the brothers still got beat one on one a couple of times for goals AGAIN.  We did force 5 shot clock violations again.  All it takes is one step and they are just slow a foot!!!!   If we don't win the league there is a problem!! We have Harvard coming up and they are awful this year too.     There is so much parity across the D I this year it is astounding, except for a couple of teams - who also have all lost a game. 

Dhluy started and played quite a bit. I think he may have a bit of a lingering injury, and when things were rolling they used it as an opportunity to rest him. I think Kozar went in for him, but got pulled when they made a bit of a late run and Erik went back in.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Tried to watch the replay after I got home; but it was not up last night. So solely based on my live perspective, have to complain about a couple of things. Face-offs were terrible and a number of new players played wing yesterday (for the first time I think) and IMHO they were worse than the kids used before.The Burgmasters' (who have been @ wing sparingly this year) were the only wings who showed me anything yesterday. I also thought ground balls were terrible; felt worse than the 31-37 stats reported. Not only did the wings hardly get any; we gave up at least 2 EASY goals on ground balls that squirted out of scrums to wide open mass players.

2018 said we should have won 20-5, and I agree;  if we had done a better job on ground balls, mass would have scored less and UA more. Also, when mass made a run in the fourth, it was against some newbies on defense. However, I do not agree that mass is that bad a team. IMHO in a bad AmEast, they could finish 2nd or 3rd; partly because the league is just that bad and partly because I did not see mass yesterday being bad.

Reserve the right to change my opinions, if I am able to watch the replay later.

Only newbie on defense was Kozar getting a few minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarter when he got pulled after giving up a gimmie goal in close.

Long poles on the wing other than Fillipowski had a rough day, and on face offs for some reason were both on our offensive side of the field a few times which game them fast breaks.