UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Looking forward to 2019/2020

12 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Not at all unexpected, but disappointing. I thought Brooks could play a major part, and maybe even help with the PG situation. JUCO players historically have taken a year to develop. He was undersized, but that hasn't always mattered as much in the AE. I was really loving the #domore attitude of Flory. I guess with injuries, combined with the 5 freshman starters, he didn't see enough playing time in his future to justify staying so far away from home. It wouldn't surprise me to see him land at a school at a similar level to the AE, but closer to home. North Dakota maybe? 

I'm sorry but Brooks very VERY CLEARLY not a D1 player, at the risk of sounding to harsh I thought that much was pretty clear, maybe I'm alone in that assessment. To small, didn't really do anything well and may have been a gap filler to fill a scholarship. Turned the ball over at an astronomical rate for the limited minutes.

As for Flory, I believe they were trying to get him red-shirted but he didn't want to. He re-injured the foot with the screws and I believe had another surgery. He hasn't been with the team or school in months. 

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I didn't see anything this year that led me to think he would be great, or even good at UA. I said it wasn't unexpected. I followed that up with, I was hoping he could be the point guard we needed, and what he did before UA looked like he could be serviceable. Again JUCO kids take time to adjust 90+% of the time. No one (including Brown by his own admission) thought Evans would be good either, but as a 5'9" point guard he became extremely successful as a senior.

My comments were based on #purplefam. It's dissapointing that he didn't work out. He took a chance on UA just as UA took a chance on him. I'd much rather he take that senior leap and be a success than have him leave not having gotten what he thought he might. If there was no path to him having the opportunity to take that leap, then I am happy for him to leave and hopefully find playing time elsewhere. It's better than him riding the pine again. Him leaving opens up the Scholarship for someone else to get a shot here, and could end up helping the team. My comments were rooting for his success, instead of putting him down.

Going to another school will have him need to sit a year, unless he transfers down. For Flory, sitting a year might be the best thing for his foot anyway.

I get you guys try to be realists, want what's best for the team, and are free to speak your mind, but the constant harshness, trolling, and what feels like rooting for failure gets old.

LOL...he's 5'9 150lb, he was flat out overwhelmed every time he stepped on the court. It's OK, not everyone is a D1 player that gets recruited especially scrambling to fill a roster. I'm not trying to be harsh, we all wanted it to work out. He'll go down a level D2 and probably finish out playing well at that level. I hear he wanted significant playing time which he wasn't gonna get here. 

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I get you guys try to be realists, want what's best for the team, and are free to speak your mind, but the constant harshness, trolling, and what feels like rooting for failure gets old.

Why does it matter? Life ain't sunshine and rainbows. I don't understand society these days and needing to constantly be PC, positive and rahrah (and I'm a millennial lol). 

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't care less about coddling these guys. Whether they are 18 or 23, who cares. If you suck, go suck some place else.

7 hours ago, Eli said:

Why does it matter? Life ain't sunshine and rainbows. I don't understand society these days and needing to constantly be PC, positive and rahrah (and I'm a millennial lol). 

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't care less about coddling these guys. Whether they are 18 or 23, who cares. If you suck, go suck some place else.

Probably one of the other problems with society is that people get to publicly judge other people online while remaining (somewhat) anonymous themselves. I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

As for the transfers. Sucks to see a guy get derailed by injuries like Flory.

I had thought Brooks may have figured things out on the offensive end at some point with time. The defensive end was just as much of an issue.  It's weird, we've had guys that size - the Iati brothers, DJ Evans and they've managed to defend pretty well but Brooks struggled on that end of the floor.

Fair enough, guilty as charged...I just don't like some posters insinuating opinions on this forum should be censored (only of a positive variety). I don't think anyone here has ever crossed the line.

Anyhow, I didn't realize Iati and Evans were also 5'9". I thought they were like 5'11" or something. Brooks looks way smaller than I remember Iati or Evans looking. He simply looked over matched.

16 hours ago, Clickclack said:

As for Flory, I believe they were trying to get him red-shirted but he didn't want to. He re-injured the foot with the screws and I believe had another surgery. He hasn't been with the team or school in months. 

TU article said Flory back at home taking courses online. I cannot see him sitting another year; so unless he gets some sort of waiver, I would bet he is headed for DII. He also pretty much missed his senior year of high school; so with all his injuries and pretty much little D1 playing time over 3+ years and two transfers already, I would bet D1 no longer an option? SAD!  Would not be surprised if he cannot play at all?

I deleted most of my comments in the thread. It got out of hand. I just wrote a little "sorry to seem them go" farewell type message, which was replied to with "he sucks and isn't a D1 player anyway" so it devolved into an argument. Not sure why it always has to be negative, especially when the kid is leaving and its over anyway. I never said don't post negativity, in fact one of the deleted posts said that they should be able to take it, as they are adults, it just seems overblown for a relatively small community, on a public site, that I know for a fact the players read, and I am confident that recruits check out when looking at schools. No rainbows needed in every post, but there is a time and place for constructive criticism vs. what reads as hate from anonymity. 

The constant negativity and trolling kills forums. It's why I no longer bother to even read the Football forum 99% of the time, and makes me not want to read or participate in the discussion in the basketball forum anymore (but Im too addicted to leave). I know that for at least a few BPF members, its why they are no longer active on this site. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

I deleted most of my comments in the thread. It got out of hand. I just wrote a little "sorry to seem them go" farewell type message, which was replied to with "he sucks and isn't a D1 player anyway" so it devolved into an argument. Not sure why it always has to be negative, especially when the kid is leaving and its over anyway. I never said don't post negativity, in fact one of the deleted posts said that they should be able to take it, as they are adults, it just seems overblown for a relatively small community, on a public site, that I know for a fact the players read, and I am confident that recruits check out when looking at schools. No rainbows needed in every post, but there is a time and place for constructive criticism vs. what reads as hate from anonymity. 

The constant negativity and trolling kills forums. It's why I no longer bother to even read the Football forum 99% of the time, and makes me not want to read or participate in the discussion in the basketball forum anymore (but Im too addicted to leave). I know that for at least a few BPF members, its why they are no longer active on this site. 

I'm sorry you feel that way. The parts of the program that are doing well are celebrated... The parts that need work get called out here. I think most folks are pretty fair here. I don't understand how anyone was hateful towards the two kids leaving or trolling. I believe we are allowed to post our observations. No one said the kids are horrible human beings or losers or some other nasty thing because they aren't. But let's be fair in judging their level of contribution and ability. Even if you saw something different.