UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

This week's D 1 Lacrosse Rankings

I am SO OVER the rankings, I understand the U Albany has not won big game BUT here are this weeks rankings by the Anti- U Albany Quint for this week, Check out 20 -14>>>

The "Fan" rankings have U A at 56 this week and similar rankings for these schools.  His reasoning - our computer must see a win!!!!!!!!!  Total BS

Thoughts>>..................

Here are Quint's rankings this week - JUST TO PROVE he is full of S_ _ _ How many losses do these teams have and against which teams????????????????????  If you are NOT U Albany you get props anyway!    Just sayin''' Time for these guys to get over the BIAS!

20. Princeton The Tigers own three losses to ranked opponents — Virginia, Hopkins and Rutgers — by a combined four goals. Tuesday's win over Navy 19-11 was the Michael Sowers Show (seven assists). Their next game at Penn is critical for the Ivy League race.  [2 -3] no big wins

19. Penn I know the Quakers are just 2-3 with losses to Maryland, Duke and Penn State. Victories over Villanova and Saint Joe's has this team primed for conference play.  [3 -2 ] 

18. Johns Hopkins Forry Smith found the net for a one-goal lead entering the fourth quarter. Hopkins couldn't seal the deal and lost 14-10 in the Dome. On paper, the strength of this team was supposed to be the defense. That hasn't been the case for a group clawing to stay in the Top 20 and in the NCAA playoff hunt. [ 2 -3 ]  History alone gets them here.

17. Colgate Parker Baddley, Nick Salameda, Danny Healey and John McDonald were outstanding on defense in 'Gate's 9-7 win over BU, which led 3-0 before Colgate went on a 6-0 run. The Raiders play Canisius in Buffalo on Saturday.  [3 - 2]

16. UMass This team is gaining steam, much like 2018 when it finished the year on a wicked win streak. The Minutemen took down Albany on Tuesday and then dismantled NJIT 19-7. Jack Geiger, Alex Shuster, Matt Baugher and Tim Hoynes all scored their first college goals. The forever goal.  [3 - 3]

15. Rutgers The Scarlet Knights built a lead and held off a late Princeton rally, winning 9-8. Goalie Max Edelman made a clutch save at the buzzer to prevent overtime. Rutgers plays Lehigh on Tuesday and at Syracuse on Saturday. Wins would bolster their case during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Sunday, May 5.  [4 - 2] haven't beat anybody!!

14. Georgetown Jake Carraway dominated a Tuesday tilt with Furman, providing five goals and two assist in a 18-6 win. The Hoyas defeated Fairfield 19-6 on Saturday. Dan Bucaro and Carraway triggered a fast start. Gtown will attempt to slay the dragon (Drexel) this Saturday.  [ 6 - 1]  No huge wins

13. Syracuse Otto was down 8-7 at half and then 9-8 to the Jays before exploding for four goals in a 3:00 span. The 14-10 win was much needed. Jacob Buttermore, Peter Dearth and LSM Brett Kennedy keyed the six-goal fourth quarter. A week ago, SU didn't finish against Virginia. This week, they did. After a slow start, the defense held Hopkins to five goals over the final 45 minutes. SU is now 27-30-1 all-time against their rival.  [ 3 -2 ] We KNOW they are over-rated -based on history no this year!!

12. Denver A leg injury to starting defender Dylan Johnson hung over the Pios in a low-scoring loss to Notre Dame on Saturday. Wishing Dylan well; I've always enjoyed watching him play. He always brings it and has a future as a pro.  [4 - 2] Haven't played in 10 days. Next game on the 16th

11. Virginia The Cavs won the Lars Tiffany Bowl 14-13 over Brown on a Michael Kraus overtime goal. The lefty scored five times and is back to full health. Brown had the Wahoos by three going into the final stanza, but for the second-straight week, the Cavs dug deep. Goalie Alex Rode made 19 stops. That's three-straight OT wins for Virginia.  [ 4 - 2 ] Only big win was Syracuse

The Cavs welcome Notre Dame to Charlottesville.

10. High Point The Panthers own wins over Duke, Virginia, St. Bonaventure, UMBC, Drexel and RoMo, with a loss to St John's. They've played in four one-goal games. Goalie Tim Troutner was selected No. 2 overall in the MLL Draft. A 22-13 bulldozing of UMBC featured seven goals from Oakville, Ont., native Chris Young, seven points from Asher Nolting and 15 Panthers had a point. HPU travels to VMI on Friday. [ 6 - 1] Beat so-so teams including Drexel by one goal.

9. Loyola Duke bullied the Hounds, owning the non-face off grounders and pestering Loyola into turnovers and one-shot possessions. This game was never close. Pat Spencer (1G, 2A) met his kryptonite, and Loyola didn't have schematic answers for Kevin Lindley's shut-off. Freshman midfielder Chase Scanlan was ambitious, FOGO Bailey Savio scrapped and LSM Ryan McNulty was active. Goalie Jacob Stover was under siege. Most concerning for Loyola — the injury to defender Alex Johnson, the overall performance of shortstick defensive midfielders, the lack of groundballs, the sloppy clears, the dearth of bench scoring and finding midfielders who can draw slides. The idle weekend was perfectly timed. Loyola continues Patriot League play against Navy.  [4 -2 ] Are they really that good?

8. Towson Friday night firsts for the Tigers; the Jacksonville game in Charlotte marked the first time TU took the field as the No. 1 team in the country. It also was their first game on natural grass since 2013. The sloppy 15-13 win over the Dolphins was played in a chilly downpour. FOGO Alex Woodall (23 of 32) is the seminal figure in the upturn of the fortunes of Towson. Woodall went No. 1 in Saturday night's MLL Draft. Brody McLean (5G) and Grant Maloof (4G) were singing in the rain.  [5 -1 ]  Any really big wins? Loyola!!

Towson got a wake up call on Sunday in Charlotte, torched by Jeff Teat and company. Cornell fleeced them 18-11. The Tigers travel to Duke this weekend.

7. Cornell The Big Red lost 19-13 on Friday night to Penn State. The defense didn't have an answer for Grant Ament. On Sunday, they bounced back and pummeled Towson 18-11 in Charlotte, N.C.

6. Notre Dame Pacific Coast Shootout organizer GW Mix does outstanding work with his neutral site game in Costa Mesa, Calif. Another packed house (7,817) enjoyed this annual rite of spring and featured some home grown California talent. The Irish have built momentum after a 10-7 win over Denver. Bryan Costabile scored three times. They led 8-3 at half but only scored two goals after the break. In the shot clock era, holding a team below 10 goals is notable — Crance, Kielty and Cohen has law offices in most major cities. I like the vibe of this ND team. They seem faster, deeper and more aggressive.  [4 - 1]  We know they are not better than us!!!

5. Ohio State The Buckeyes have wins over Cleveland State, BU, UMass, Bucknell, Marquette and most recently Hofstra. [6 - 0] BUt Who the hell have they played???

4. Maryland #BeTheBest led Albany 7-2 at half and won 14-9 behind eight points from Jared Bernhardt. Kyle Long added two points from the bench for coach John Tillman. Fear the Turtle plays ’Nova on Saturday at 1 p.m. on BTN2Go.   [ 6 - 1]  This is a misrepresentation of the game.  We all know we were in this till a few minutes to go and could have tied!! 

3. Yale The Bulldogs steamrolled Michigan 17-11 in Atlanta on Sunday. Wolverine goalie Tommy Heidt made 23 saves as the Bulldogs peppered the cage. Yale's Brian Tevlin had a career day (4,2), Jackson Morrill chipped in five points and eleven different players contributed to the box score. TD Ierlan won 18 of 22 draws.  [ 4 - 1] Beat U Mass by one in overtime

2. Penn State Grant Ament is a wizard, able to posterize defenders, then dissect and deliver accurate skip passes to the dark side of the formation. He dished out nine dimes on Friday night in a wire-to-wire 19-13 win over Cornell. The Lions' defense got shredded based on a possession model. This unit too often hides behind Gerard Arceri's face-off advantage and will have to tighten up.  [6 - 1] Lost to Yale

1. Duke The Blue Devils throttled Loyola in a 12-7 Thursday night victory at chilly Koskinen Stadium. Defender Cade Van Raaphorst kept Pat Spencer in check, while JT Giles-Harris and others shut off crease-man Kevin Lindley as Duke won every individual matchup (minus whoever drew Chase Scanlan). CVR (short for cover) defended Spencer with a sturdy left-handed cross-check hold, throwing few checks; he sat down like an offensive tackle in pass pro. Duke's interior coverage and efficient groundball scoops kept Hound possession time to a minimum. Goalie Turner Uppgren played his best 60 minutes, holding the opponent to one tally in the second and third quarter combined. Offensively, the Devils received strong outings from Nakeie Montgomery, Brad Smith and Joey Manown, who was battling mid-terms and illness. Montgomery's fluid release and accuracy were textbook. This franchise is built on structure and discipline — one in which players are free to be playmakers within its walls. Duke is starting to look like Duke.  [6 - 1] Lost to High Point Beat Denver and Loyola

Thoughts>>..................

Edited by HOF2013

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

We were ranked #1 for more than 10 weeks last year lol. I don't think there is any biased. Where do you believe this years team should be ranked. Quint had Albany in his poll at #1 for a ton of weeks. 

Of course that was because he HAD NO CHOICE.  BUT he made negative comments much of the time.  He has always been anti- U Albany.  He thinks traditional powers should always be ranked no matter how they perform - the proof is in his comments.  I cut all the comments out - go read them.

U A should probably be top 30 based on history [ so many appearances in the NCAA tourney] and how we have performed against everyone [even in the losses], PLUS the fact that we DO play top 10 teams.  Others who have not played top 10's OR who have lost to top 10's and/or nobodies and have lost 2 or 3 and beat total nobodies and are still ranked top 20.  So based on that if we win this week and are 2 - 4 we should jump.  

Edited by HOF2013

4 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Of course that was because he HAD NO CHOICE.  BUT he made negative comments much of the time.  He has always been anti- U Albany.  He thinks traditional powers should always be ranked no matter how they perform - the proof is in his comments.  I cut all the comments out - go read them.

U A should probably be top 30 based on history [ so many appearances in the NCAA tourney] and how we have performed against everyone [even in the losses], PLUS the fact that we DO play top 10 teams.  Others who have not played top 10's OR who have lost to top 10's and/or nobodies and have lost 2 or 3 and still ranked top 20.  So based on that if we win this week and are 2 - 4 we should jump.  

You just said Quint believes traditional powers should be ranked no matter how they perform (history), but then you say UA based on history should be top 30. I think the program gets a ton of positive press. By the way a top 30 is not much to brag about when there's only 73 teams in D1.

6 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

You just said Quint believes traditional powers should be ranked no matter how they perform (history), but then you say UA based on history should be top 30. I think the program gets a ton of positive press. By the way a top 30 is not much to brag about when there's only 73 teams in D1.

If anyone has watched him for the last few years it is pretty obvious that he thinks the schools who have played lacrosse for 100 years are "better" and should always be ranked.  NOT relative newcomers like UA. I see no contradiction in that.  i was going to say top 20-25 but didn't want the negative feedback so dropped it to 30.  

9 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

If anyone has watched him for the last few years it is pretty obvious that he thinks the schools who have played lacrosse for 100 years are "better" and should always be ranked.  NOT relative newcomers like UA. I see no contradiction in that.  i was going to say top 20-25 but didn't want the negative feedback so dropped it to 30.  

Fair enough, from watching these past few years I think they realize the landscape is changing in college lacrosse. I couldn't see anything negative towards UA in his recent post. We haven't won. We are 1-4. Playing well in a loss is still in a loss. No matter the sport you don't get votes in polls because you play well and lose to ranked teams.

I am not sure what UA should be ranked at this point. But definitely NOT 56. Look at the teams ranked and many ARE there will multiple loses and with ALMOST WINS. Close absolutely enters into the rankings especially this early in the season. How is UA 1-4, really that much different than hopkins 2-3. If in the same league UA would be 1 game behind. Even Quint acknowledges that hopkins is only there because of history {"the NCAA playoff hunt. [ 2 -3 ]  History alone gets them here".} Obviously the polls this time of year are pretty meaningless; maybe more so this year than ever with all the "upsets" and no one really standing out. Also, through 5 games few if any teams has played a more difficult schedule than UA. 

ps. For what its worth Quint hates UA period. I don't know why; maybe goes back to when he and Marr played together @ hopkins, maybe fought over the same girl, competed for the same coaching jobs; who knows. But Quint rarely has anything good to say about UA; and even when the situation dictates he say something positive, it is like he is choking on his words.

Edited by dslyank

4 hours ago, UA'08 said:

Fair enough, from watching these past few years I think they realize the landscape is changing in college lacrosse. I couldn't see anything negative towards UA in his recent post. We haven't won. We are 1-4. Playing well in a loss is still in a loss. No matter the sport you don't get votes in polls because you play well and lose to ranked teams.

Did you bother to look at the posting of rankings above?? Obviously not.  There are teams with three loss to ranked teams an some with 2-3 losses to ranked and unranked teams who ARE RANKED.  Time  to get off the Quint band wagon!!!.

Edited by HOF2013

4 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Quint is a prick.  Period.  

We need not worry about rankings.

I’m nervous about what Ierlan is going to do to us.

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

I am not sure what UA should be ranked at this point. But definitely NOT 56. Look at the teams ranked and many ARE there will multiple loses and with ALMOST WINS. Close absolutely enters into the rankings especially this early in the season. How is UA 1-4, really that much different than hopkins 2-3. If in the same league UA would be 1 game behind. Even Quint acknowledges that hopkins is only there because of history {"the NCAA playoff hunt. [ 2 -3 ]  History alone gets them here".} Obviously the polls this time of year are pretty meaningless; maybe more so this year than ever with all the "upsets" and no one really standing out. Also, through 5 games few if any teams has played a more difficult schedule than UA. 

ps. For what its worth Quint hates UA period. I don't know why; maybe goes back to when he and Marr played together @ hopkins, maybe fought over the same girl, competed for the same coaching jobs; who knows. But Quint rarely has anything good to say about UA; and even when the situation dictates he say something positive, it is like he is choking on his words.

Thanks but comments after the wins loses are mine.  That was mine from reading the entire Quint post!

Edited by HOF2013