UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Other than the UMass game where the team laid an egg, while they haven't played very good at times, I would say they haven't quit. We are definitely in unchartered territory in terms of wins and losses, and it isn't clear to me as a fan who the real leaders are on the team.

Anyone hear Marr on the radio yesterday?

• Like 1

We will see won't we.  UA still could win the league.  Got to hope VT loses to Stoney Brook and we beat them and end up with home field.  Got 2 more home games.  GOT to have Jones back and doing a better job though.  Is he hurt or what's up.  NO WAY Altimeri or the long stick guys can get us through a  game.  Saw that in the second half the other day.  If we had won 5 or 6 and gotten a few more possession I still think we would have won.  VT is bragging all over now and they are just not good - it was a real embarrassment to lose that game.  ANYBODY could see they are just not better.  Shows any team can beat anybody else at any time, especially when there is no FOGO on one side.

If Jones is not there I fear we are done.

Edited by HOF2013

I don't think there is "quit" in this team. There is talent on this team, but the inconsistency is maddening. Patterson has a couple of great games and then disappears for two or three. Same for Laffin. Davis Diamond has one great game and then we hardly see him the rest of the year. Tehoka stars and vanishes from 1/2 to 1/2. Has Eccles forget how to score all of a sudden? The young kids look good one second and confused the next [duh they are young.]  Defensively they look awesome  for long stretches and then seem to melt into the background. The key here is long stretches, they just seem to be on the field too long too much. This is the first year of the shot clock and it seems other teams get multiple resets per game and UA almost none. {I wonder if there is a stat on this to confirm??} 

"For Life" is right, it seems there are/is no clear leaders. "HOF" right, FOGO has been/is an issue all year. Even Jones has been no better than OK. 

I think the bottom line is UA does not win enough face-offs, is poor on ground balls and turns the ball over too often:  Resulting in NOT enough possessions and too many and too long possessions for our opponents.

And, I maybe totally off base when I say Marr seems to lack his usual "fire." Seems to be accepting of this teams inconsistencies.Can't seem to light a fire in these guys this year. I Do Not think he or the team has quit, but maybe he/they just don't have it in them {for whatever reason} to get things fixed? HOPE I'M WRONG!!!!!!! 

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

I don't think there is "quit" in this team. There is talent on this team, but the inconsistency is maddening. Patterson has a couple of great games and then disappears for two or three. Same for Laffin. Davis Diamond has one great game and then we hardly see him the rest of the year. Tehoka stars and vanishes from 1/2 to 1/2. Has Eccles forget how to score all of a sudden? The young kids look good one second and confused the next [duh they are young.]  Defensively they look awesome  for long stretches and then seem to melt into the background. The key here is long stretches, they just seem to be on the field too long too much. This is the first year of the shot clock and it seems other teams get multiple resets per game and UA almost none. {I wonder if there is a stat on this to confirm??} 

"For Life" is right, it seems there are/is no clear leaders. "HOF" right, FOGO has been/is an issue all year. Even Jones has been no better than OK. 

I think the bottom line is UA does not win enough face-offs, is poor on ground balls and turns the ball over too often:  Resulting in NOT enough possessions and too many and too long possessions for our opponents.

And, I maybe totally off base when I say Marr seems to lack his usual "fire." Seems to be accepting of this teams inconsistencies.Can't seem to light a fire in these guys this year. I Do Not think he or the team has quit, but maybe he/they just don't have it in them {for whatever reason} to get things fixed? HOPE I'M WRONG!!!!!!! 

Can't disagree.  Coach has been saying all along we have to end up final 4 in league which we will, BUT we need home field for playoffs too.   There have been times when they are brilliant and others when they just have their heads up their butts and make bone-headed unforced turnovers.  THOSE have killed us this year.   I am really hoping that the new FOGOs coming in over the next 2 years are terrific.  We NEED them no matter who is at attack or LSM of CD.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, dslyank said:

I agree that I would be shocked to see this team quit. I just don't understand the same mistakes being made over and over.  There has to be a player or two we haven't seen who is hungry and ready to step up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I agree that I would be shocked to see this team quit. I just don't understand the same mistakes being made over and over.  There has to be a player or two we haven't seen who is hungry and ready to step up.

Absolutely!!!!

Only thing worse than that game was listening to the play by play.

Come on guys. 6-1 in the first quarter and then UMBC went into a zone the rest of the game, and they didn't pick up on it one time. Why anyone would not zone UA the whole game is a mystery to me.

Our last good goal of the game happened when 11, 41, and 9 were on the field and that never happened again, and 9 hasn't been on the field since forever. What are these coaches doing and thinking. Just a terrible season all the way around.

We are a poorly coached team that can't make adjustments.  Our only saving grace is the American East is the worst conference in the country.

Edited by DaneForLife
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DaneForLife said:

Come on guys. 6-1 in the first quarter and then UMBC went into a zone the rest of the game, and they didn't pick up on it one time. Why anyone would not zone UA the whole game is a mystery to me.

Our last good goal of the game happened when 11, 41, and 9 were on the field and that never happened again, and 9 hasn't been on the field since forever. What are these coaches doing and thinking. Just a terrible season all the way around.

We are a poorly coached team that can't make adjustments.  Our only saving grace is the American East is the worst conference in the country.

I'll have to force myself to watch the game on the web site.

Our little section at the game was yelling have to beat the zone most of the 2nd half, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to when UMBC switched into, but based upon the score at the end of the first quarter makes sense.

Not surprising that we are also terrible at man up's this year, and once again blew a two man up opportunity last night. I agree that I would come out and pretty much stay in a zone defense all game long against us. Our only real zone buster is having a tough time shooting this year, and I think last night he must have gone 2-15 or something like that.

It sounded like the team did have a great week of practice leading into the game, and are still very much engaged, but it sure doesn't show up on the field.

Just read Kelly's article on the game, and if I hear, "we can play so much better," I am going to lose it. After 11 games I don't think we can play much better.

I do agree with the comment above about the playing pattern of certain players, and I know it frustrates the heck out of the players. The rhyme and reason of who plays and when doesn't make sense, and there is a lot of frustration simmering under the surface.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

I must have watched a different game!!!!  Zone is a problem yes, has been for years.  BUT their defense also played well so we can't blame it all on our offense.  I thought we actually played far better last night over-all.   Yes we had the turnovers, BUT not as many as usual.  Got out hustled 4th Q on their scores, BUT we had stepped up and in my mind did not get out hustled most of the game.   Perla DID sit out the second and much of the third [not sure why Schwab was playing close D some- he got beat badly on a dodge for a score in the 4th].  Perla back in the 4th.  Same suspects got beat a couple of times on D.    Jones sucked it up and played well - even though he is injured.  Looks like a hyperextended knee to me - I have no knowledge whatever though.

Perla quoted as saying "we can play much better".  Yes he can!!  Only maybe 5-6 games left [IF we win the league] . Time to crap of get off the pot as they say.

Edited by HOF2013

10 hours ago, DaneForLife said:

#11 Yunker, as a freshman, has been fairly good all year - he does try to force shots sometimes.  #41 Ramirez has played a lot the last few games.   #9 McComber, I agree but he was highly touted and should play some.  We need to get those young guys game experience.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

I must have watched a different game!!!!  Zone is a problem yes, has been for years.  BUT their defense also played well so we can't blame it all on our offense.  I thought we actually played far better last night over-all.   Yes we had the turnovers, BUT not as many as usual.  Got out hustled 4th Q on their scores, BUT we had stepped up and in my mind did not get out hustled most of the game.   Perla DID sit out the second and much of the third [not sure why Schwab was playing close D some- he got beat badly on a dodge for a score in the 4th].  Perla back in the 4th.  Same suspects got beat a couple of times on D.    Jones sucked it up and played well - even though he is injured.  Looks like a hyperextended knee to me - I have no knowledge whatever though.

Perla quoted as saying "we can play much better".  Yes he can!!  Only maybe 5-6 games left [IF we win the league] . Time to crap of get off the pot as they say.

We don't have much in the way of zone busting midfielders so we will struggle against zones unless Eccles gets on fire or they can find ways to free up Laffin or maybe Tehoka for shots. I think we scored six goals in 6 v 6 situation which isn't going to cut it.

Perla played the whole game. They have been spelling Dhluy a bit with Kozar who played some in the first half. Not sure, but think Dhluy has been fighting an injury all season.