UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I wish one of the local papers would do a deep dive on this past season, and Coach Marr is almost hyper positive to the point that we'll probably never hear anything from him of any real substance.

Going from the Final Four to a 5-9 record shouldn't be acceptable which is why I would really like to hear from Coach Marr on where things went wrong and the commitment that this is a top tier program for the long haul. Looking at this year's NCAA tournament there is no North Carolina, no Denver, no Cornell, and you could argue that Hopkins and Maryland were on the thinnest of ice so it is a different era in men's lacrosse.

Where and why did the Dane Train derail and can the coaches and players get it back on the tracks?

• Like 1

Having Fields and Ierlan made our season last year.  And with the other departed seniors gone this year.... it was an utter collapse.

Barely made it into the AE tournament.

Without superstars like the Thompsons and Fields... the balls to the wall style doesn’t bring us anywhere.   Although there were times our D looked ok this year, we’ve never had a stifling D.

Is it possible Marr hits the mega millions again in the recruiting game with more superstars like Lyle that brought us to uncharted waters.

• Like 1

Starts and stops with coaching.

I have a lot of respect for Scotty, but think he has swung too much to being a players coach. I don't want to see him do a Tierney or Corrigan impersonation, but overall there needs to be more accountability and discipline within the program.

I don't know anything about the Nanticoke situation from the fall and the spring, but clearly it was a distraction. All you had to see was Marr's reaction when in fact it wasn't the NCAA who suspended Tehoka. As many on here have said, the constant rotation of players in and out of the line up. How do you build a cohesive offense with the constant shuffling? AS HOF said the face off situation seemed to be mismanaged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uofalbany said:

Having Fields and Ierlan made our season last year.  And with the other departed seniors gone this year.... it was an utter collapse.

Barely made it into the AE tournament.

Without superstars like the Thompsons and Fields... the balls to the wall style doesn’t bring us anywhere.   Although there were times our D looked ok this year, we’ve never had a stifling D.

Is it possible Marr hits the mega millions again in the recruiting game with more superstars like Lyle that brought us to uncharted waters.

Was surprised during the NCAA selection show last night that they didn't mention tourney stalwarts like UNC, Denver, and Albany were not in tourney due to down years.  When you had 7 straight years of Lyle and Connor, 2 of the greatest in history, it shows Marr's offense runs best with a leader, facilitator, visionary at the helm.  Did not have that this year and we saw the results.  Does that mean we will be down till he finds another generational talent?  Probably but why wait to find him.  Have to change the offensive schemes to match the talent you have.  Marr ran the same offense for 7 years but it's time for adjustments.  Will we run the same offense again and end up around .500?  We still going to have an anemic man-up?  Marr and the staff have a big summer and Fall to do something different.  Same things will get same results.  

Numbers don't lie:  last year #1 in D1 avg 14.42 scoring.  This year, #49, avg 10.57

Defense:  This year, #44, avg 11.64 goals against.  Last year, #11, avg 8.63

And don't get me started on FO.  This year #52, 44%, last year #1, 76%

• Like 1

I was lucky to catch Coach Marr on the radio while I was in the car. He came on early today. He was asked one really good question about Tehoka, and he had a few other things to say which were pretty interesting.  He did say everything from the coaches on down will be evaluated before the team leaves for the summer and he alluded to summer strength and conditioning which really hasn't happened in an official way the last several years.  He talked about a large freshmen class coming in and it is a big one.

The one thing I have read and don't understand is the idea that we were unprepared for the shot clock. As a team that played fast before the shot clock I don't understand that. The biggest difference I saw this year is that we didn't score a lot of quick goals and were forced to play a lot of settled offense. Even in past years when the offense was really good we struggled at times when we were not scoring in transition or off of quick breaks from winning face off's clean.

47 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Was surprised during the NCAA selection show last night that they didn't mention tourney stalwarts like UNC, Denver, and Albany were not in tourney due to down years.  When you had 7 straight years of Lyle and Connor, 2 of the greatest in history, it shows Marr's offense runs best with a leader, facilitator, visionary at the helm.  Did not have that this year and we saw the results.  Does that mean we will be down till he finds another generational talent?  Probably but why wait to find him.  Have to change the offensive schemes to match the talent you have.  Marr ran the same offense for 7 years but it's time for adjustments.  Will we run the same offense again and end up around .500?  We still going to have an anemic man-up?  Marr and the staff have a big summer and Fall to do something different.  Same things will get same results.  

Numbers don't lie:  last year #1 in D1 avg 14.42 scoring.  This year, #49, avg 10.57

Defense:  This year, #44, avg 11.64 goals against.  Last year, #11, avg 8.63

And don't get me started on FO.  This year #52, 44%, last year #1, 76%

I need to look deeper into the numbers to see if they are apples to apples with the shot clock, and of course TD's dominance made the offense and defense look better than they may have otherwise been, and having watched Yale a few times this year the same is true with them.  The offense was dismal. The man up speaks for itself.

• Like 2

Agree 2018.  The FO issue caused defense on their heels as soon as the whistle blew it seemed, so actually the 3 extra goals allowed per game  probably wasn't that bad.  But we could have masked that with an offense that should have produced better.  But they had way too many offensive turnovers, crappy on man-up, and many times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

19 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Agree 2018.  The FO issue caused defense on their heels as soon as the whistle blew it seemed, so actually the 3 extra goals allowed per game  probably wasn't that bad.  But we could have masked that with an offense that should have produced better.  But they had way too many offensive turnovers, crappy on man-up, and many times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Agree. Of the questions I wish I could get answered is what was the deal with the ever changing offensive personnel. 

4 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Agree. Of the questions I wish I could get answered is what was the deal with the ever changing offensive personnel. 

I agree BUT doubt we'll ever find out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that something was really wrong all season long, and it is too easy to point the finger at Nanticoke.  Unless he was in the coaching office he wasn't changing the offensive line ups from game to game. 

1 hour ago, DaneForLife said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that something was really wrong all season long, and it is too easy to point the finger at Nanticoke.  Unless he was in the coaching office he wasn't changing the offensive line ups from game to game. 

I know it was frustrating to all of us, but I have to think there were things none of us know about that were driving what looked like odd coaching decisions. It was a poor year, especially going from final four to first round exit in the conference tournament.  I expected a down year, and early on thought we would be a mid teens sort of team, and this group had the talent to do that. I think Coach Marr will do a thoughtful, honest assessment and reading between the lines it sounds like it will start with a rigorous strength and conditioning program which the program has abandoned in recent years.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:26 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

The one thing I have read and don't understand is the idea that we were unprepared for the shot clock. As a team that played fast before the shot clock I don't understand that.

2018,  I've have been complaining about this all year. It has become my mantra and excuse for the BAD season. Have your "read"/heard about UA not being prepared for the shot clock elsewhere; or are you just reacting to my harping on the clock?? Be honest, I will not take offense.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dslyank said:

2018,  I've have been complaining about this all year. It has become my mantra and excuse for the BAD season. Have your "read"/heard about UA not being prepared for the shot clock elsewhere; or are you just reacting to my harping on the clock?? Be honest, I will not take offense.

I think I saw it reported in the press as well or maybe a quote attributed to Coach Marr when he said something about having to practice inside which seems like a lame excuse because unlike in past years the team was able to practice and scrimmage in a full field facility.

You would have thought that of all the teams in men's lacrosse UA would have been as ready as anyone which is why I would like to understand if the shot clock was an issue, then why? Even if teams didn't go into a full blown zone, just by packing it in a bit, our inability to score in transition this season and shoot effectively from the outside would certainly make it hard with defined period for each offensive possession.

There are other teams with good offenses which struggled in man up situations, but in our case I do think there was a high correlation between the settled offensive struggles and what we saw in EMO's.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slickwilly said:

What college athletics program doesn't have a strict strength and training program?  Let's wait until we go 5-9 to implement that?  Probably why TD left the program.

Nothing whatever to do with him leaving the program.

• Like 1