Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

Having coached a bit, watched a ton of lacrosse, and been through the recruiting process as a parent twice, I don't put much stock in most of the rankings. I heard early on that Yunker, Weathersby, and probably McComber were the three freshmen who could come in right away and make an impact. Often times things have to break the right way for a guy to get his shot. I would have like to have seen more consistent runs for Yunker and McComber on offense and see Weathersby play more close. I think Hay's future is more at LSM unless he really hits the weights.

Based upon what I had heard I am optimistic that Swingruber and Palandjian can play a well, but both were hurt most of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Having coached a bit, watched a ton of lacrosse, and been through the recruiting process as a parent twice, I don't put much stock in most of the rankings. I heard early on that Yunker, Weathersby, and probably McComber were the three freshmen who could come in right away and make an impact. Often times things have to break the right way for a guy to get his shot. I would have like to have seen more consistent runs for Yunker and McComber on offense and see Weathersby play more close. I think Hay's future is more at LSM unless he really hits the weights.

Based upon what I had heard I am optimistic that Swingruber and Palandjian can play a well, but both were hurt most of the season.

Absolutely right on, things have to 'break the right way'.  Not having an "in" the rest of us do not know the ins and outs of who is hurt.  I was wondering what happened to Swingruber and Palandjian.  I really like Yunker, seemed like McComber tied to push it and take shots every time he got the ball, maybe because he did not play much.....doesn't mean I dislike him, he has a gun.   I think we need to be optimistic for next year, tempered by >>>  Is Tehoka coming back??  Are FOGO's going to improve?  WIll the freshman coming in have an impact?  Will this year's freshman have an impact next year.  They should see more action.  We have only a small group of seniors graduating and with the two kids known to be leaving that means a big group returning plus a huge freshman class coming in in Sept.  I REALLY like Hay and Westhersby too by the way.

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 5:05 AM, jimbo said:

Oh, I fully agree that losing TD was massive. Our offense just looked so disorganized and had bad flow. Sloppy passing. Yale only scored 10, but we only scored 5. In a low scoring game that’s a beating. It’s all relative. Watched a lot of Maryland-Towson.  Quite the game. The Towson FOGO was a beast, but very different from TD. He generally won the draw each time and then got rid of the ball asap.  Often batting it quickly to a wing who appeared to be in a set trail position.  We could have used some of that instead of our FOGO getting hammered all the time and coughing it up. In the Yale game the an announcer said that the Yale coach told him that if TD was not at FOGO he’d be a wing because he was a ground ball monster. The bottom line for me is that the coaching staff has to play with the players they have and the rules as changed.  Looking at the season through the filter of “if TD had stayed” does us no good for 2020.  

I agree that looking back to TD means nothing, Just getting it off my chest

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

 

Can't disagree with this.  Success next year will depend a lot on Tehoka, Jacob, Davis and this year's freshman - and OF COURSe faceoff.

If you read the post on Marr's record you will see we have had runs like that.  I think it has to do with the AE as much as anything.  The league is not respected across D I lacrosse, except for UA most teams play nobodies or play one game against top 15 teams.  That makes it difficult to get and keep those top, top recruits.  TD is an example.   Fan2018 pointed out that the staff, MUST promote our academics better.  We have some Outstanding top 10 and top 25 programs, especially graduate programs.   FB coach Nesselt is one who does a GREAT job of promoting academics.

 

Tehoka's game absolutely needs to evolve for him to fulfill his ranking and potential as a player. When you are as skilled as he is, and 235lbs in high school you can run over and through everybody and pretty much do whatever you want. In college when you are playing against other men, what you were able to do in high school often won't translate at the collegiate level. Tehoka has the vision and skills that I know he can do that. The days of him just being a bull dodger isn't going to work when teams know they can double or triple him. With Connor last year you didn't dare slide off of him which gave Tehoka a lot more one on one's to do his thing.

If you watched the Townson game, Casey could be a Sunday for us. What Sunday does better is use his size. Too often, Casey shoots from the side or three quarter and effectively gives away his height advantage. At 6'4'' if he shoots over the top and gets to 5 and 5 that shot is just about impossible to stop or if he develops a question mark. He could shoot over just about every defender in D1 lacrosse.

The big question for me is who can run the offense from X? I haven't seen enough lately of the incoming class to say, but I think right now the leading candidate is Yunker. Laffin and Diamond excel at off ball play, but Davis does have the ability to run at X, and I think he hit the lone question mark dodge I can recall all season against UVM. We seem to have a log jam of off ball guys. I just don't think Jakob is well served by making him the quarterback.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jimbo said:

The other fact remains that while UA is able to occasionally pick off a generational talent like Lyle or Connor, the bigger and more established programs continue to stock up on 4 and 5 star recruits.  That talent and depth is so hard to overcome for an AE team, regardless of coaching and the great players Marr has recruited. Teams in most sports can catch lightning in a bottle and win it all, but it may be too much for us to think we can climb to the top against these giants of MLax on a regular basis.  Not being negative here....just realistic I think. 

Jimbo, I agree only to an extent. A number of years back (maybe Lyle's first year,) there was a heated discussion on this blog whether UA could compete with the blue chips in Lax for talent & results. Using 1882's 2014 to present, UA has certainly shown they can compete with the chips with results. The question or discussion whether we are doing it with equal talent or with a few generational pieces only, is probably still up to debate. The discussion at the time was could or can UA become a Lax "destination." IMHO UA definitely HAS, but "maybe" still a notch below the chips [very interested if anyone remembers the discussion & see what they think now and has their opinion changed.]

Whether or not you believe UA is now a DESTINATION or not, the problem now has become a little more complicated. With the expansion of LAX in college and high schools over the past few years an interesting conundrum occurs. Talent is simultaneously spread too thin and too concentrated. I think you will find this in all sports, go back and look at the MLB, NFL and maybe most recently NHL. IMHO, while the major talent becomes more spread out when the number of teams grow, the A-, B+ talent grows with more and better feeder programs and with experience. At the same time due to the #s needed to support MORE teams, there will also be players of sub bar talent around.

As the talent gets more spread around in a good way and bad, rules changes (i.e. shot clock) are instituted & designed to make the sport more interesting & COMPETITIVE. All this contributes to newbies being able to compete with the chips. IMH and unscientific opinion is where college Lax is now and why there were so many "upsets" this year and why more and more blue chips are being left out of the ncaa's or at least no longer guaranteed a spot. Whether or not you feel this is good for the sport or not and whether or not you feel UA can/is one of the chips or one of the chip breakers is up to each's own opinion.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dslyank said:

Jimbo, I agree only to an extent. A number of years back (maybe Lyle's first year,) there was a heated discussion on this blog whether UA could compete with the blue chips in Lax for talent & results. Using 1882's 2014 to present, UA has certainly shown they can compete with the chips with results. The question or discussion whether we are doing it with equal talent or with a few generational pieces only, is probably still up to debate. The discussion at the time was could or can UA become a Lax "destination." IMHO UA definitely HAS, but "maybe" still a notch below the chips [very interested if anyone remembers the discussion & see what they think now and has their opinion changed.]

Whether or not you believe UA is now a DESTINATION or not, the problem now has become a little more complicated. With the expansion of LAX in college and high schools over the past few years an interesting conundrum occurs. Talent is simultaneously spread too thin and too concentrated. I think you will find this in all sports, go back and look at the MLB, NFL and maybe most recently NHL. IMHO, while the major talent becomes more spread out when the number of teams grow, the A-, B+ talent grows with more and better feeder programs and with experience. At the same time due to the #s needed to support MORE teams, there will also be players of sub bar talent around.

As the talent gets more spread around in a good way and bad, rules changes (i.e. shot clock) are instituted & designed to make the sport more interesting & COMPETITIVE. All this contributes to newbies being able to compete with the chips. IMH and unscientific opinion is where college Lax is now and why there were so many "upsets" this year and why more and more blue chips are being left out of the ncaa's or at least no longer guaranteed a spot. Whether or not you feel this is good for the sport or not and whether or not you feel UA can/is one of the chips or one of the chip breakers is up to each's own opinion.

 

 

 

100% accurate.  Lots of upsets this year and new teams experiencing success against better schools.  I think our league as a whole has to up the competition.  That will help for all of the schools to get better recruits.

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at this year’s stats, a couple of things jumped out at me. UA basically played even in Q1 and Q3; but were about -19 in 2 and 4.  The only severe deficiency was in FO, but it only severe because of the putrid numbers for the LSM FO subs we saw on a regular basis.  Which calls into question why in the world were they doing that so much when it hurt the team IMHO? Was the team getting tired in the 2nd and 4th? Was flow disrupted due to the shuffling in and out all the time? Or just coincidence? Who knows? Ok, I’m done with Lax for 2019.  Now I’ve gotta decide what to do about my tix for the GG Follies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, jimbo said:

Looking at this year’s stats, a couple of things jumped out at me. UA basically played even in Q1 and Q3; but were about -19 in 2 and 4.  The only severe deficiency was in FO, but it only severe because of the putrid numbers for the LSM FO subs we saw on a regular basis.  Which calls into question why in the world were they doing that so much when it hurt the team IMHO? Was the team getting tired in the 2nd and 4th? Was flow disrupted due to the shuffling in and out all the time? Or just coincidence? Who knows? Ok, I’m done with Lax for 2019.  Now I’ve gotta decide what to do about my tix for the GG Follies. 

That last line made me LMAO!!  We brought the Long Sticks in a lot in the 2nd 4th as I recall!!

Jimbo, FB staff bringing in some JUCO players and good transfers. Can only get better. They are being far more aggressive this year.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 3:29 PM, HOF2013 said:

That last line made me LMAO!!  We brought the Long Sticks in a lot in the 2nd 4th as I recall!!

Jimbo, FB staff bringing in some JUCO players and good transfers. Can only get better. They are being far more aggressive this year.

Bit the bullet.....sec 205 here we come!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jimbo said:

Bit the bullet.....sec 205 here we come!

I dropped from 3 to 1 tickets and still can't bring myself to renew...that's how much I hate what GG has done to this program. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I dropped from 3 to 1 tickets and still can't bring myself to renew...that's how much I hate what GG has done to this program. 

Perhaps it’s insanity, but I’ll give him one more year.  If they continue on the same trajectory and GG is still around in 2020 I’m done paying for an inferior product. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final 4 game, semifinal; 4th Q Yale 21 -  Penn State 17.  Virginia - Yale in final.

l'll say it again, UAlbany must not be as bad as we played in some games this year.  Held Yale to 10 goals, their lowest of the year!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Final 4 game, semifinal; 4th Q Yale 20 -  Penn State 13.  How will it turn out??   Virginia already won.

l'll say it again, UAlbany must not be as bad as we played in some games this year.  Held Yale to 10 goals, their lowest of the year!

The team just never, ever came together. I've gotten a bit of a debrief on some things, but it just wasn't their year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

The team just never, ever came together. I've gotten a bit of a debrief on some things, but it just wasn't their year. 

 

Yeah I know.  Just disheartening!!

7 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×