UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Renewal of Benson's Contract

kikuria

I was actually thinking this spring that this past year was probably one of the worst in recent memory. It's been a while since football, men's basketball and lacrosse all had losing records.  There were various reasons for all those things happening and I'm not necessarily blaming Benson.

10 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

I was actually thinking this spring that this past year was probably one of the worst in recent memory. It's been a while since football, men's basketball and lacrosse all had losing records.  There were various reasons for all those things happening and I'm not necessarily blaming Benson.

Football is on him! The others have built up years of equity. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

At the end of lacrosse season, I was also thinking about when the last time was that FB, MBB, WBB and MLAX (the 4 teams I follow most closely) all had losing records and I think it dated back to 2000-2001.  I really don't follow the FB personnel moves as closely as many on this forum do, but, for the other three, it seemed that much was dictated by transfers of David Nichols, Joe Cremo, Mackenzie Trpcic, Cece Mayo, Emma List and TD Ierlan, and the unexpected (at least to me) loss of Coach Mac.  I do not have a stong feeling regarding the AD,but, I'm not sure that any of this can be "blamed" on the AD

• Like 1

19 hours ago, statefan said:

At the end of lacrosse season, I was also thinking about when the last time was that FB, MBB, WBB and MLAX (the 4 teams I follow most closely) all had losing records and I think it dated back to 2000-2001.  I really don't follow the FB personnel moves as closely as many on this forum do, but, for the other three, it seemed that much was dictated by transfers of David Nichols, Joe Cremo, Mackenzie Trpcic, Cece Mayo, Emma List and TD Ierlan, and the unexpected (at least to me) loss of Coach Mac.  I do not have a stong feeling regarding the AD,but, I'm not sure that any of this can be "blamed" on the AD

Agree 99% with your post. 1% off; "some" blame to AD always {that is his job.} Of course HOW MUCH blame we can all asses on our own? Anyhow nice post State.

21 hours ago, statefan said:

We've been over this before but here is why the buck has to stop with him when it comes to the state of the Football program. We've already covered on numerous occasions the abysmal record of one Greg Gattuso, it's ugly, let's face it...even if there was a step up in competition. We are going on what, 6 years and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not blaming him for the hiring of GG but I am blaming him for renewing his contract. There were ample warning signs that Gattuso has no idea what he's doing, what did Benson do? He re-upped him with a losing overall record over a period of 4 years. Gattuso proceeded to reward the University in his fifth season with his worst YET!!!! Crossing the finish line last year with a record of 1-7 in the CAA. When he renewed him GG was coming of a 2-6 record in the CAA and had one year left on his contract. 

Benson doomed this program to likely at least 2 or 3 more years of this mess. There was NO need to renew him with 1 year left and yet he did. That's on Benson and he should answer for it. GG better pray he has a decent season this year or it's Bensons neck on the line as well. Here's the good thing...one way or another in a few more weeks we'll start to find out which way this thing is gonna break. Will GG turn it around and in the process save his own job and maybe Bensons or does this thing go completely off the rails? It's hard to do much worse then last year...and all that took was a miracle fg bouncing off a cross bar for it not be a goose egg in the CAA. This program under GG is an embarrassment and in full retreat. 

Good news though...I re-upped my 1 remaining ticket to watch this mess...LOLZ

Edited by Clickclack

55 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Good news though...I re-upped my 1 remaining ticket to watch this mess...LOLZ

It pained me to renew mine as well but I did. I still have 4 seats that are in the best spot in the place, IMHO. I don't want to lose them if the program does start to improve and get better. 

The hard part is getting people to go. Most games, I can't find someone who will take my tickets for FREE when I can't make it because of other commitments.

Here is my pitch:

"Hey, you want FREE tickets for the UA game on Sat? 4 seats, 50 yard line, front row, passes to the donor beer area, and a VIP parking pass to the SEFCU parking lot that is right outside of the stadium, perfect for tailgating?"

No one EVER says yes. My seats are almost always empty! If that doesn't tell you had bad this program is and the depths they have sunk to, I don't know what will.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Sad 1

On 6/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Sounds like we should be allocating some marketing dollars to attract the Empire fans to the Danes games..>DO they do any cross-marketing now?

LOL, yes 👍 a good idea however I do not believe there is a significant cross interest. Worth a try however UAlbany AD would be looking for people to underwrite the cost for the marketing effort.

Edited by cwdickens
Clarification