UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UConn to the Big East

UA1882

On 7/1/2019 at 4:18 PM, godanesgo99 said:

I agree with most of what you said, except this part. I am sure if you did a search, you could find me saying this 50+ times on these boards: 

Capital District fans are snobs. No one care about any athletic programs unless it is TOP level. We are too close to NYC/Montreal/Boston/Syracuse/Buffalo for anyone here to care. The AFL team is averaging over 10k fans per game - it is top level for AFL. You can get tickets last minute for a minor band, the biggest names sell out in minutes. Unless $iena is winning, their attendance is dwindling. The Albany Colonie Yankees had issue with attendance most games, but when a MLB player like Ron Guidry had a rehab start there were people lined up around the block and people sitting on the field. 

This area could support a FBS team, and rival Syracuse for attendance - but it would have to be at the top level, play top level opponents, and win. Anything less than that is a complete and utter waste of money. The AE and CAA are perfectly fine for us. I don't see any boost in attendance by a new conference or a league switch unless it was to a P5 type situation. 

So yes, you are right, no aspiration for FBS football today, but I am convinced that there would be plenty of it was done correctly. 

I honestly don't think even a P5 FBS team could survive here. As you've mentioned the snobbery before, I've mentioned land grant colleges. Look around the country. The vast majority of land grant colleges have big time programs, except where population doesn't exist to support it...UVM for example. NY, in its infinite wisdom, chose Cornell....the only Ivy land grant. Dead end for big time sports in the current world. UA lacks the big time tradition that brings in the masses. Look at Penn St, very small population in the immediate area and 100+ miles from any major metro areas. They have over a century of big time tradition that'll fill up the seats on Saturday because people will travel 100+ miles. 

• Thanks 1