UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

19-20 MBB Pre-Season articles and Expectations

I was made fun of on the AE board when I posted that I thought deSousa would be the best player on UA this season, and would be a sleeper pick for AE POY this season. He was the freshman I said I would pick first to build a team around over Healy and Sessoms. Well, maybe I had a little overly purple and gold glasses on when I posted that, but this I figure this would be as good a time as any to start a thread on everyone's expectations and predictions for this upcoming season, along with sharing pre-season press and articles about the team.

Is it November yet?

https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/07/23/ualbany-men-s-basketball-seeking-major-leap-from-de-sousa

• Thanks 1

He's going to have a great year but AE POY...come on man. We're all ready for the season but the recent summer heat is gettin to ya, fam.

I think this team has a solid chance at being a 20 win team.

16 hours ago, Eli said:

He's going to have a great year but AE POY...come on man. We're all ready for the season but the recent summer heat is gettin to ya, fam.

I think this team has a solid chance at being a 20 win team.

Lamb probably has a 90% chance at winning this year obviously, but I'm sold on Malachi on both sides of the floor. Kid played almost no minutes last year, and was 10th in blocks per game (11th in total).

I don't think it's too far fetched to think he could be a 1st teamer and a candidate for the award.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

A lot will depend on how much stronger he gets. He's got a great amount of talent but needs to hit the weight room hard, continue to hone the dribble drive to compliment his outside shot. I like this kid a lot. Probably one of the most naturally gifted kids we've ever had. Can be special if he puts it together but will still be very young. 

Edited by Clickclack

In addition to strength, if his outside shooting were more consistent, he'll be really tough to deal with. He scratched the surface of what he can do in the final part of conference play.

I think we are tending to overlook what Rizzuto did last year. For a true freshman to come in, miss preseason and most of OOC with an injury, and then put up the numbers he did was pretty fantastic as well. 

• Like 4

I know it's early but I was reviewing the roster Eli has provided in his recruiting posts and I was guessing the starting lineup as of now.  Lulka, Healy, and de Sousa at the 3 should be definites.  Lauderdale may beat out Hank at center.  That leaves Rizzuto and Clark.  Does Clark come off the bench again to give Rizzuto the PT for the future or does Clark start as the senior leader?  Don't believe any transfer or JUCO will jump into the mix and the 2 frosh will sit alot.

After reading the football board, sounds like we should just jump into BB season and skip the debacle to come this Fall. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Don't believe any transfer or JUCO will jump into the mix and the 2 frosh will sit alot.

Not sure I agree with this. Doherty should see a lot of playing time. either splits time with Lulka or they play small and use both together.  Also, Jojo Anderson true point guard (which was sorely lacking the last couple of years) with power 5 experience should see a lot of time if as good as advertised. But as you say, very early to make such predictions.

I suspect at the PG spot it will be interchangeable for a little while with JoJo and Clark until one separates himself. At least it appears Healey's days at the PG spot should be over. Clark and JoJo will push each other. As much as Clark gets lit up and a lot of is warranted, he still lead the AE in assist by a good margin and had a positive a/t ratio.

He just needs to play under control, don't do stupid things in crunch time and trust the guys around him. Don't throw him aside.  

• Like 1

PT Battle is going to be really fierce this year after looking at the roster, anticipated ability/improvement. The hard part is Brown really likes to play his core 2-3 players over 30 minutes each which throws all guesstimates out the window. I am thinking that he will use various lineups and the person that players 35 minutes in a game will end up being different all the time. 

I feel like I say this every year, but I would love to see the team sub a little more liberally and play the game a little more up-tempo, but that isn't the grind that WB is famous for.

Edited by godanesgo99

Thats interesting, but doesn't make it any easier to make guestimates of who plays where and how much. 

Anyway, this is fun to discuss because most of us are pretty ignorant about what is actually happening in practice. Hopefully the team will do the Canadian tour and we can see what some of the new guys look like before October/November. 

Edited by godanesgo99