UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

19-20 MBB Pre-Season articles and Expectations

Definitely made me laugh. I wanted to make a smart ass comment on the AE board about him saying that, but it's hard because I respect the lofty goals. I really do love his focus on defense. Too many kids strive to score 30 a game. If you have the talent to score: focus on your defense. The points will come.

National Champs. Lol.

I hadn't seen this article before. I'm sure I missed it and someone else already posted it here. Maybe in this thread lol....

https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2019/7/30/20747477/st-johns-non-conference-schedule-first-look-2019-20

After eight days off for finals, St. John’s takes on the Albany Great Danes (preseason rank: 155), an America East squad that could be much-improved, on Wednesday, December 18. Bart Torvik’s site is predicting a leap, and given Long Island-bred coach Will Brown’s consistency over nearly two decades, along with talent that cut their teeth last season, this could be a sneak-tough matchup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've spent a lot of time on the BT site playing with numbers and digging into his methodology. He has Albany rising. They were about 160 there a month or so ago, then moved to 155, then last week went to 154, now 153. 

Based on his projections we will have trouble with defensive efficiency this year, but are the best in the conference offensively. Only 4 teams in the county are in the top 100 with a defensive efficiency worse than 100 (86 Boise St, 93 Richmond, 97 Belmont, and 100 San Fran).  The top teams with 105 or higher are: 121 Columbia, 124 Pepperdine, South Alabama at 137, North Florida at 146, Dartmouth at 149, then Albany at 153. If the team doesn't improve on this number, we will see a lot of 90-85 type games. The winner of each will be determined by who has a better shooting night.  

I think it is pretty clear that how this team performs on the defensive end will determine how far they go. This is partly why I was so impressed with that Anthony Lamb quote where his goals included DPOY and being in the top 10% nationally in defense. We need that type of focus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I've spent a lot of time on the BT site playing with numbers and digging into his methodology. He has Albany rising. They were about 160 there a month or so ago, then moved to 155, then last week went to 154, now 153. 

Based on his projections we will have trouble with defensive efficiency this year, but are the best in the conference offensively. Only 4 teams in the county are in the top 100 with a defensive efficiency worse than 100 (86 Boise St, 93 Richmond, 97 Belmont, and 100 San Fran).  The top teams with 105 or higher are: 121 Columbia, 124 Pepperdine, South Alabama at 137, North Florida at 146, Dartmouth at 149, then Albany at 153. If the team doesn't improve on this number, we will see a lot of 90-85 type games. The winner of each will be determined by who has a better shooting night.  

I think it is pretty clear that how this team performs on the defensive end will determine how far they go. This is partly why I was so impressed with that Anthony Lamb quote where his goals included DPOY and being in the top 10% nationally in defense. We need that type of focus. 

There's a reason they say defense wins championships. I share your concern, last year defense and rebounding were extremely poor by normal UA standards. Even marginal improvement would be helpful. 

A few other interesting thing you can see from his projections:

UA has a better chance of beating St Johns on 12/18 (34%) than it does at beating UVM on 3/3 (20%)

Albany has 4 of the top 10 players in the conference based on PRPG! projections (5 of the top 11, 6 of the top 14)

https://imgur.com/a/nDl53w2

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UAalum72 said:

Aren’t 90-85 games what some people have been calling for since Will Brown became coach? Saying team plays better if we run, no more Guru of the Grind?

Maybe, I know I have advocated the team playing faster and subbing more when the team is deep. I think faster paced teams are more exciting for the fans to watch and might help get more butts in the seats, but I think defense is still real important. I think we are looking for 90-70 games with us on top lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A couple of things about the Lamb quote:

-Some people on the AE board are calling it a prediction. It wasn't a prediction, he said it was a goal.

-If that's his goal, credit to him for staying in a single bid conference and not transferring "up" somewhere to try to fulfill it.

-Every year he's been healthy, he's won the conference championship at gone to the NCAA tourney. Say a championship would be his goal wouldn't mean that much at this point in his career. 

12 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

A couple of things about the Lamb quote:

-Some people on the AE board are calling it a prediction. It wasn't a prediction, he said it was a goal.

-If that's his goal, credit to him for staying in a single bid conference and not transferring "up" somewhere to try to fulfill it.

-Every year he's been healthy, he's won the conference championship at gone to the NCAA tourney. Say a championship would be his goal wouldn't mean that much at this point in his career. 

Goals are good...I have a goal to win the MegaMillions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Eli said:

In all honesty, in the AE, UVM is probably the overwhelming favorite but I honestly think this team can beat them if we gel and come together to match what we have on paper. I think this is a 25 win team this year.

Fixed it for you :)

Edited by godanesgo99

30 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Fixed it for you :)

You guys are high...I got this team with 18 or 19 wins. Still going to be one of the youngest teams in the AE, will need to work in a number of significant pieces that weren't on the team last year. Can anyone solidify the PG spot and not lose us games? I think talent is real nice on this team but right now it's potential still in many cases.