UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

On 8/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Fall Alumni game is set for October 4th and fall ball is against Hopkins, West Point, and Penn the next weekend in Philadelphia.

Is the Alumni game Friday the fourth. Seems like Saturday with football away would be better? But anyhow, do you know the time?

Also, if you have any pull, a game day program would be nice; both to recognize/remember the alumni and get to know the newbies. I have gone to these for years (even though I am not a former player) and only recall one time where they did a program. I know other schools make a pretty big deal over these alumni games. I think UA's history is at the point where they should up the ante a little.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dslyank said:

Is the Alumni game Friday the fourth. Seems like Saturday with football away would be better? But anyhow, do you know the time?

Also, if you have any pull, a game day program would be nice; both to recognize/remember the alumni and get to know the newbies. I have gone to these for years (even though I am not a former player) and only recall one time where they did a program. I know other schools make a pretty big deal over these alumni games. I think UA's history is at the point where they should up the ante a little.

I am pretty sure the game is at 8pm on Friday night and the alumni golf tournament is on Saturday. I would imagine the alumni roster is pretty fluid right up to the last minute, but agree given our great list of alums, it would be nice to make a bigger deal out of the day for sure.

14 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Great article, pain in the butt to read because I don't have a subscription!!

.99 per week for an online subscription. Pay for 6months in advance get a $10 gift card. NOT trying to sell you anything; just reporting. Which by the way the Daily Gazette does much better than the TU where UA is concerned; and I am and have been a TU customer for over 40 years {sorry Bob87}.

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

.99 per week for an online subscription. Pay for 6months in advance get a $10 gift card. NOT trying to sell you anything; just reporting. Which by the way the Daily Gazette does much better than the TU where UA is concerned; and I am and have been a TU customer for over 40 years {sorry Bob87}.

I do not subscribe to any newspaper - wrong  biased slant for me.  Not really interested. But thanks.

Edited by HOF2013

On 10/2/2019 at 10:50 PM, DanesRGood said:

If you clear your cookies every time you reach your limit for the month the articles will load. 

Thanks - You are correct.  I figured that out.  I do it every couple of weeks. 

Saw the first and third periods of the lacrosse alumni game. Went back into the gym for the final set of the woman's volleyball game [UA beat hampshire 3 sets to 0.] 

Not much to offer from the scrimmage; seemed a big crowd so if any others want to chime in, appreciated. 4-3 UA over alums after qtr 1. Naticoke with a goal and Kyle Casey (who looked very determined and ready to take a step up) with a pair. Came back from volleyball at end of 2nd period with UA 10, alums 5. Third period was a mess with turnovers galore on both sides but alums went on an 8-0 run to go ahead 10-13. Left at beginning of 4th--dressed for volleyball, not lacrosse.

Some other observations:  Mastropaolo looked pretty good at the X, except on a clean break he shot the ball over the net with no back up in place. He was very active even when he did not win cleanly (one point after a scrum the ball shot out about 10 feet and he game from seemingly nowhere swept up the ball and led a break). We may definitely have something here. Don"t know alum he was going against though? Mastro. alternated with #18, but I don't think it was Sands?? [many players wore different #s and there may even have been two different #18s-{-see my post about having an alumni day program available.} #9 McComber who I had/have high hopes for looked frustrated he could not penetrate the alum defense.Tanner Hay looked even faster than last year bringing the ball up field; but like last year still appears too thin in close.

Well those who saw the 2nd & 4th or want to add/dispute my 1,3 observations PLEASE DO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Saw the first and third periods of the lacrosse alumni game. Went back into the gym for the final set of the woman's volleyball game [UA beat hampshire 3 sets to 0.] 

Not much to offer from the scrimmage; seemed a big crowd so if any others want to chime in, appreciated. 4-3 UA over alums after qtr 1. Naticoke with a goal and Kyle Casey (who looked very determined and ready to take a step up) with a pair. Came back from volleyball at end of 2nd period with UA 10, alums 5. Third period was a mess with turnovers galore on both sides but alums went on an 8-0 run to go ahead 10-13. Left at beginning of 4th--dressed for volleyball, not lacrosse.

Some other observations:  Mastropaolo looked pretty good at the X, except on a clean break he shot the ball over the net with no back up in place. He was very active even when he did not win cleanly (one point after a scrum the ball shot out about 10 feet and he game from seemingly nowhere swept up the ball and led a break). We may definitely have something here. Don"t know alum he was going against though? Mastro. alternated with #18, but I don't think it was Sands?? [many players wore different #s and there may even have been two different #18s-{-see my post about having an alumni day program available.} #9 McComber who I had/have high hopes for looked frustrated he could not penetrate the alum defense.Tanner Hay looked even faster than last year bringing the ball up field; but like last year still appears too thin in close.

Well those who saw the 2nd & 4th or want to add/dispute my 1,3 observations PLEASE DO!

The current team had more guys in sweats than what I heard going into the game.

Jones was hurt. I am pretty sure the other guy taking face offs was Altamari, and then Weathersby took a few in the 4th quarter and won all of them. I don't know what Jones's injury is. I will be more interested in seeing how the face off situation works next week.

Without Patterson and Nanticoke being able to work together now it is hard to say how the offense will work but the big question mark again is going to be midfield scoring IMO.

Agree with you on Hay, He is nice in transition, but doesn't really play any defense. He is one of the guys who has to get in the weight room. He has a great stick for sure.

The freshmen poles were in during that big run and got a big welcome to the big leagues.

It was more of a fun evening so will watch next week's game with a more critical eye.

• Like 1

I feel confident in saying this year’s team will be significantly better than last year.

We were missing three first line guys - Patterson, Ron John, and Alex Burgmaster and three freshmen I wanted to see - Skidder’s, Seneca, and Noah.

I am not sure if there is a Connor Fields in this class, but this is easily the deepest class in quite some time.

The early star of the class is Pinseo. He is already a force and will be a huge upgrade in the middle of the field even as a freshmen. He and Barrow will be a nice tandem at LSM.

There are 2-3 nice middies and Hogg started at attacked and played well.

Last year Army physically dominated the Danes from the opening whistle. We won the game by a goal or two and handled Army’s physical play.

Face off’s were pretty good in that game. Jones took the bulk of them and won, but occasionally had issues with the ball or getting rid of it. Nate was very solid on goal.

i am guessing Filipowski is injured. He had a brace on, didn’t play much against Army but played more as the day wore on. When things got sloppy transition defense was poor, but  overall the D looked good. It looks like 5 guys are fighting over the top 3 spots and there is quality freshmen depth.

Penn was really good and it was 0-5 before you could bat an eye. The freshmen goalie played most of that game and he got rocked. Our FOGOS took very few face offs and it was several long poles. We all thought that was crazy. Altamari it seems has all but been written off.

I think the final was 15 or 16 to 20 with the younger guys playing most of the last quarter. 

Tehoka played really well. He looks like a different guy.

Assuming everyone is healthy this is what I think it looks like

Attack - Tehoka, Patterson,  Yunker, Casey Hogg, McComber

O Middies -  Ron John, Burgmaster,  schwab, Ramirez 

D middies - Bradley, Fingar, LaPietro although both of the freshmen are definitely two way guys

LSM - Barrow and Piseno

FOGO - Jones

Defense - Kunz, Kozar, Filipowski, Hay, Weathersby

Goalie - Siekierski, Ramos

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

and three freshmen I wanted to see - Skidder’s, Seneca, and Noah.

THANKS! for the report. Do you know why the above 3 were not in Philly? Nagging injuries maybe; or possible red shirt potentials (even though pretty sure fall ball would not enter into a red shirt issue)?? Still like Casey with the O Middies. Has Diamond vanished again, thought he played well when he returned to the line-up @ the end of last year. Seemed to play well in the Alumni game last week. Swingruber (good size and speed) looked pretty good @ alumni game; but I only saw part of the game?

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

THANKS! for the report. Do you know why the above 3 were not in Philly? Nagging injuries maybe; or possible red shirt potentials (even though pretty sure fall ball would not enter into a red shirt issue)?? Still like Casey with the O Middies. Has Diamond vanished again, thought he played well when he returned to the line-up @ the end of last year. Seemed to play well in the Alumni game last week.

I didn't ask about what was wrong, but of the three, only Skidders seemed to be favoring anything. I don't know what is going on with Ron John or the knee brace on Fillipowski. 

Davis played a decent amount, and played well, but with a healthy Patterson don't see how he jumps into the top 4-5. Yunker played really well as the recipient of feeds from Tehoka. Casey is interesting. He had some nice feeds from behind the cage to guys cutting towards the goal.

All of a sudden there is a some really good depth. The one thing when you watch Penn play that I don't think we have is that outside sniper who can stretch a defense. Burgmaster definitely has that potential, but overall we are just a so so shooting team from the midfield.

A few other tidbits I picked up. If anyone saw the fall games last year, Albany got man handled, especially by Army. It was an accurate preview of a pretty down year. I don't want to read too much into two games in October, but the one thing that stood out in both games is that the Danes competed and looked the part this fall. The face off situation is still a concern, because once again the coaches went straight to long poles when the FOGO's lost one or two. The poles I have seen between Barrow, Weathersby, and Piseno have been effective when used, but just way too often IMO.

The physical nature of practice has also picked up. A lot more running and physical practices and the team was tired coming into the games and still played very tough.

Penn should be a pre season top 5 team, and I think if our starting goalie had played it would have been a very close game.