UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA - Why didn't we?

kikuria

26 minutes ago, kikuria said:

I should have asked this differently - was the offer to join the CAA extended at the same time as football? Or did it come up afterwards?

it's old history now but my understanding in speaking with someone in the know...and recalling it now as best I can but it was right around the same time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

I don't think it was feasible and still don't.  We don't have the money, support from the alumni, support from the university or support from the state to make it work. It's sad really. 

I agreed insomuch as it only works when it's a budget priority.  It does not appear to be.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, B9j2j6s said:

Ah we got in for football which was the biggest concern.  The AE is the right fit for other sports.  Let's focus on growing when the conference merry go round comes around in the early 2020s with the tv contracts up for renewal.

Slightly off-topic but for basketball, I like the coaches we have in the conference right now. And it owns the greatest upset in NCAA tournament history.

• Like 2

Plus 8 out of 9 AE universities are state institutions.  The CAA is a complete mixed bag.  I would love to ask fans of  former AE schools like Drexel, Northeastern, Hofstra and Towson how the move to the CAA has worked out for them?

Edited by B9j2j6s
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the AE and frankly rather stay over CAA. Basketball in the conference all around I think is strong and growing big time. Lacrosse is also right there. I want to have sports that compete every year for a conference championship, which we really do have right now almost across the board. As I said in the post about UA's Division I success, SEFCU upgrade is critical. We don't have the arena to be in CAA. Just my thought.

16 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I like the AE and frankly rather stay over CAA. Basketball in the conference all around I think is strong and growing big time. Lacrosse is also right there. I want to have sports that compete every year for a conference championship, which we really do have right now almost across the board. As I said in the post about UA's Division I success, SEFCU upgrade is critical. We don't have the arena to be in CAA. Just my thought.

Basketball as a conference is not growing big time lol...you have half a league that is a complete dumpster fire year in and year out. 

I do not think an across the board move to the caa is a good thing. And OK hammer away; I think the move to football was and still IS a BAD one. I am NOT a Johnny come lately, I said this when we made the move and believe it even more so now. Six years in the caa with nothing to show for it except increased expenses. IMHO other programs have suffered because of the move and I do not see where or how it gained us anywhere/anything. If we had stayed in the NorthEast conference, more than likely would have made at least 2-3 ncaa appearance in the past 6 years and minimally would have at least competed year in and year out. I know I'm in the majority (maybe the only one) but I do not see one positive thing the caa has done for UA. Maybe a small attendance jump (but I doubt that also) more than negated by increased expenses--recruiting, travel, # of schoolies, etc. Better "EXPOSURE" in the caa you say. I say to WHAT? and at what cost?

OK. Hammer Away!