UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Last Up: L (38-21) @ Central Michigan
Next Up: vs Bryant (lost 35-10 to Stony Brook in their opener)
Time/Date: 9/7/19 @ 7PM EST
TV/Streaming: TBD
Local Radio: TBD

Solid first game at CMU by the Great Danes. Defense had some nice takeaways but couldn't stop a nose bleed on 4th down. Offense had an up and down game, showed some promise and definitely some signs of a foundation. Things aren't as bleek as some of us expected them to be. Bryant is more our speed so lets see what happens at home.

They’re promoting this game as a “white out” for those who like the school to dictate their fashion choices.

Game notes say radio is on 103.9 (game conflicts with Yankers on 104.5). Video thru Flosports, a pay site that the CAA is using, unless it’s free thru the UA site, which l doubt.

TU story today

University at Albany quarterback Jeff Undercuffler had almost two hours to kill when lightning delayed the start of the season opener at Central Michigan last Thursday.

He put the time to good use in the visiting locker room by pulling out his smartphone and studying film on an app. Undercuffler, a red-shirt freshman, also tried to settle down his eager teammates.

“Kind of just let your teammates know, hey, it sucks that we’re not playing right now and we have to wait two hours,” Undercuffler said. “It is what it is, it’s football, because they have to do the same thing. So just go out there and grind.”

The Great Danes’ offense still got off to a rocky start against the Chippewas, going three-and-out on their first two drives. Coach Greg Gattuso said Undercuffler and his teammates might have been too highly charged after the long wait.

“I think he was very wired-up,” Gattuso said. “His first throw went about 30 rows into the bleachers. But once he settled down after the first couple of throws, Ithought he played pretty well.”

Undercuffler finished 15-for-28 for 199 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a 38-21 loss. Perhaps just as importantly, he didn’t take a sack or turn over the ball.

In all, it was an encouraging start for Undercuffler heading into Saturday night’s home opener against Bryant at Casey Stadium.

“I’m not going to lie, I certainly think we came out a little slow,” Undercuffler said. “That’s what hurt us, I thought, because during the second half we started cooking. We were operating. We were playing fast and physical.”

Undercuffler pointed out the Great Danes didn’t know going into Central Michigan what kind of defensive schemes the Chippewas might play in their first game under new head coach Jim McElwain.

The Great Danes will have more familiarity with Bryant, under first-year head coach Chris Merritt, because the Bulldogs already made their season debut in a 35-10 loss at Stony Brook last Thursday.

“I think we feel good as a team heading into this week,” Undercuffler said. “I think we have to start stronger. Like I said, against Central Michigan, we came out flat and it hurt us, so we’re just trying to build off that week into this week.”

Making his fourth career start, Undercuffler showed signs of comfort in UAlbany’s offense. In the third quarter, he checked out of a running play and instead threw a9-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Juwan Green.

Undercuffler said he made the change after seeing Central Michigan bring their safety to load the line of scrimmage. He saw the mismatch and threw a fade to Green. Undercuffler said it’s something he probably wouldn’t have done last season.

“More experience, confidence, all that type of stuff,” he said. “Getting used to the speed of the game and ultimately producing.”

But it didn’t end with a victory.

“I always think I can do better because that’s ultimately how we’re judged as quarterbacks,” he said. “Are we producing, are we putting points on the board and are you helping your team win? We didn’t win last week, so you’ve got to do better.”

UAlbany wide receiver Dev Holmes of Troy, who had four catches for 24 yards, said Undercuffler did well to keep the Great Danes competitive.

“As a redshirt freshman, he could have done some things better, but that’s what we wanted from him,” Holmes said. “We were in that game. A couple of plays could have changed the whole game around.”

Senior center Nico Culnan of Colonie called Undercuffler “my guy” and noticed his improvement from a year ago. He praised the hard count Undercuffler used to draw Central Michigan offsides.

“He takes command of the field,” Culnan said. “He’s ahell of a quarterback and he’s just going to get better from there.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

They’re promoting this game as a “white out” for those who like the school to dictate their fashion choices.

Game notes say radio is on 103.9 (game conflicts with Yankers on 104.5). Video thru Flosports, a pay site that the CAA is using, unless it’s free thru the UA site, which l doubt.

TU story today

University at Albany quarterback Jeff Undercuffler had almost two hours to kill when lightning delayed the start of the season opener at Central Michigan last Thursday.

He put the time to good use in the visiting locker room by pulling out his smartphone and studying film on an app. Undercuffler, a red-shirt freshman, also tried to settle down his eager teammates.

“Kind of just let your teammates know, hey, it sucks that we’re not playing right now and we have to wait two hours,” Undercuffler said. “It is what it is, it’s football, because they have to do the same thing. So just go out there and grind.”

The Great Danes’ offense still got off to a rocky start against the Chippewas, going three-and-out on their first two drives. Coach Greg Gattuso said Undercuffler and his teammates might have been too highly charged after the long wait.

“I think he was very wired-up,” Gattuso said. “His first throw went about 30 rows into the bleachers. But once he settled down after the first couple of throws, Ithought he played pretty well.”

Undercuffler finished 15-for-28 for 199 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a 38-21 loss. Perhaps just as importantly, he didn’t take a sack or turn over the ball.

In all, it was an encouraging start for Undercuffler heading into Saturday night’s home opener against Bryant at Casey Stadium.

“I’m not going to lie, I certainly think we came out a little slow,” Undercuffler said. “That’s what hurt us, I thought, because during the second half we started cooking. We were operating. We were playing fast and physical.”

Undercuffler pointed out the Great Danes didn’t know going into Central Michigan what kind of defensive schemes the Chippewas might play in their first game under new head coach Jim McElwain.

The Great Danes will have more familiarity with Bryant, under first-year head coach Chris Merritt, because the Bulldogs already made their season debut in a 35-10 loss at Stony Brook last Thursday.

“I think we feel good as a team heading into this week,” Undercuffler said. “I think we have to start stronger. Like I said, against Central Michigan, we came out flat and it hurt us, so we’re just trying to build off that week into this week.”

Making his fourth career start, Undercuffler showed signs of comfort in UAlbany’s offense. In the third quarter, he checked out of a running play and instead threw a9-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Juwan Green.

Undercuffler said he made the change after seeing Central Michigan bring their safety to load the line of scrimmage. He saw the mismatch and threw a fade to Green. Undercuffler said it’s something he probably wouldn’t have done last season.

“More experience, confidence, all that type of stuff,” he said. “Getting used to the speed of the game and ultimately producing.”

But it didn’t end with a victory.

“I always think I can do better because that’s ultimately how we’re judged as quarterbacks,” he said. “Are we producing, are we putting points on the board and are you helping your team win? We didn’t win last week, so you’ve got to do better.”

UAlbany wide receiver Dev Holmes of Troy, who had four catches for 24 yards, said Undercuffler did well to keep the Great Danes competitive.

“As a redshirt freshman, he could have done some things better, but that’s what we wanted from him,” Holmes said. “We were in that game. A couple of plays could have changed the whole game around.”

Senior center Nico Culnan of Colonie called Undercuffler “my guy” and noticed his improvement from a year ago. He praised the hard count Undercuffler used to draw Central Michigan offsides.

“He takes command of the field,” Culnan said. “He’s ahell of a quarterback and he’s just going to get better from there.”

I’m wearing purple and gold.  In case anyone is listening, I’m not paying FloSports to watch UA football...period. Let’s see some fireworks on and off the field. Let’s see all of these GG recruits push Bryant all over the field. Let’s see Cuff slice and dice their D.  Let’s see the Dogs of Autumn chase down the chihuahuas’ QB all night long.  Let’s see some #$@*&!ing Great Dane Football!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Video thru Flosports, a pay site that the CAA is using, unless it’s free thru the UA site, which l doubt.

I will be really upset if they want m to pay $7.99 a month for ANOTHER pay site after I already pay for ESPN+.  The UA video portal has it listen for free but I doubt they would play is there if they want people to pay for it.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml

15 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I see jimbo has already started drinking at his tailgate.  😆😂🤗

That's not possible, according to the rules you cannot start tailgating until 45 minutes prior to kickoff and must stop tailgating and vacate the parking lots 30 minutes before kickoff!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, UAFAN said:

That's not possible, according to the rules you cannot start tailgating until 45 minutes prior to kickoff and must stop tailgating and vacate the parking lots 30 minutes before kickoff!

According to MY rules, a guy with GG’s CAA record ought to be unemployed....but what the heck do I know? 

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Times-Union gameday story.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-receiver-full-of-confidence-14419841.php

The offense, at least, is confident

(Juwan) Green feels no opponent can stop him with one defensive back. Or even two.

Jeff Undercuffler said Green is the best at his position in the Colonial Athletic Association. "In the conference? Hands down,'' Undercuffler said. "There's no doubt about it. I'm brutally honest. I honestly think Juwan is the best receiver in the CAA and he can be the best receiver in the country if he just keeps grinding and grinding and grinding."

The Bulldogs, who lost 35-10 at Stony Brook last week, play a zone defense similar to what he saw from Central Michigan. Green expects the entire UAlbany passing game to have a field day. "Everybody should have over 100 yards that steps on that field, the wide receiving corps, no matter who's out there,'' Green said. "Jeff should easily throw for about 450."

Chippewas safety Da'Quaun Jamison began taunting Green about playing for the Great Danes."He was just like, 'Remember which school you're at,' and that's all I needed to hear,'' Green said. "I was like, 'It's still Division I. I know where I belong, but I'm here and going to make the best of it.' So now I'm going to show the guy where I belong and he was fried." Green caught a 36-yard touchdown pass from Undercuffler on the next play.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, DanesRGood said:

I will be really upset if they want m to pay $7.99 a month for ANOTHER pay site after I already pay for ESPN+.  The UA video portal has it listen for free but I doubt they would play is there if they want people to pay for it.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml

Not going to pay

• Eli changed the title to Game #2: 9/7/19 - 7pm vs Bryant