UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

California Law: NCAA Athletes Getting paid

godanesgo99

There hasn't been much talk on this board yet on the new California law allowing college athletes to get paid for the use of their image. I'm curious the thoughts on this board. I see the point that is made, but I'm afraid of what could happen, especially to the smaller programs.

The NCAA is considering banning California schools from competition.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/06/24/ncaa-california-schools-could-banned-championships-over-bill/1542632001/

I'm thinking that if athletes could get paid, it might help UA and LCC vs other mid-majors. Albany is a fairly big media market without much other entertainment or local celebrity competition. It isn't hard to imagine a car dealership getting appearances, and other local companies using players in commercials. It would be even harder to get the top recruits, but a player that would be 6th man at a major school might consider coming here because as a star in the AE they could get local deals that they wouldn't get at a power school.

Anyway, just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this....

My thought is, this will probably eventually dissolve the NCAA, just like P5 schools told NCAA to go screw themselves and formed their own football playoffs etc. This will hit critical mass and people will say screw the NCAA for all money generating sports. 

This will have dire implications though and will be a free-for-all with schools flat out buying talent out in the open. Won't be anything amateur about it, people won't pretend they are going to school/classes etc. 

NCAA is in trouble here. 

• Sad 1

I don't know what I think.

But schools (at least big ones - not small ones like us) and the NCAA put the dollar before the student athlete and people have had enough it seems. For example, when Shabaz Napier was leaving UConn, he said something to the tune of 'I went to bed hungry'. IF that is true, that is ridiculous. Considering the backgrounds a lot of the student athletes are coming from, if they can make $1000 and supplement themselves, I'm all for it.

However, if you have someone like Zion who could make $1M in college by getting endorsements...why even go to 'college'?

IMO all major pro leagues should just do away with the minimum age requirements so we can get student athletes in college that are actual students. Stop the one'n'done'ers, etc.

My thoughts are scattered on this topic.

19 hours ago, Clickclack said:

My thought is, this will probably eventually dissolve the NCAA, just like P5 schools told NCAA to go screw themselves and formed their own football playoffs etc. This will hit critical mass and people will say screw the NCAA for all money generating sports. 

This will have dire implications though and will be a free-for-all with schools flat out buying talent out in the open. Won't be anything amateur about it, people won't pretend they are going to school/classes etc. 

NCAA is in trouble here. 

Agreed 1000% The ncaa needs to address this head on; instead of facilitating around the issue and making unequal compromises. Pay athletes or not (I HOPE NOT.)  Once and for all, the ncaa must step forward and say/pronounce that the students free EDUCATION is their payment PERIOD. The ncaa must fight the cal law tooth and nail; suspend all cal schools that participate in the new law.

OR simply concede, dissolve , end college amateur athletics. IMHO I hope the former [FIGHT IT!].

This opens a major can of worms, especially if they are allowed to pay athletes. IMHO, getting a free college education should be enough of a reward.  But money talks and bull$iena walks as they say.  What if all the athletes in non revenue sports demand payment or a shRe of the proceeds? I think if you are able to generate an income and/or endorsements, you are a pro and have no business participating in college athletics. Of course, they’ve always allowed players in minor league BB to play other college sports, so...

The big and wealthy schools will reap the benefits and the hush hush no show job payments that have long been known would now come into the open. The whole Alabama FB team getting endorsement deals from Bubba and Ray’s GMC Toyota....this is where it would go.  

I truly think there’s about to be a huge schism between the top teams and the NCAA.  The Power 5 will break off. 

I think we just need to let kids go straight from HS to whatever pro-league will take em. If over the course of 25 years, 90% of them fail, then perhaps that will give the next generation some statistics to make better decisions. Meaning, for every Kobe and KG, there is going to be a bunch of Sebastian Telfairs.

Or, these other pro leagues should create a true farm system like baseball and let the kids develop in a minor league. The NBA is heading that way with the G League, etc. Pay them $50k a year (median income in the US last I knew) and let them develop so when they do hit 21 or 22, they are ready to join the NBA and be successful. Would be harder for the NFL, as there a lot more players to consider and such, but 'Murica loves football...I think the NFL could make a profit lol.

After watching "Last Chance U", I can see why players want to get paid. A good portion of these kids are barely literate and the 'free education' they are getting isn't quite as useful as it would be for you or me. They want no part of school and you can only drag them along so much. You'd be better off putting them in a semi-pro league, give them a modest pay check, develop them and teach them how to be pros (financially as well).

Edited by Eli

College Athletics has allowed NUMEROUS people to achieve an education and a quality of life, that they otherwise would not have been able to afford. Like your idea of minor leagues for all sports; but success and wealth in professional sports is NOT a guarantee and only a few relative to the entire population make it. Again, like your idea, but what about all those who DO NOT make it? Would we developing a whole class of un-educated people with some physical skills but no mental preparation for life and a successful and productive career??

Edited by dslyank

23 minutes ago, dslyank said:

College Athletics has allowed NUMEROUS people to achieve an education and a quality of life, that they otherwise would not have been able to afford. Like your idea of minor leagues for all sports; but success and wealth in professional sports is NOT a guarantee and only a few relative to the entire population make it. Again, like your idea, but what about all those who DO NOT make it? Would we developing a whole class of un-educated people with some physical skills but no mental preparation for life and a successful and productive career??

That's why I made the comment about Last Chance U. Not sure if you watch it, but some of those guys can barely type a sentence on a computer. The only reason why they would be at an NCAA school is because of their athletic prowess. So a 'free education' where they major in some BS like basket weaving or something and get pushed through the classes just barely...is just wasted money and is not actually something they will gain anything from. IMO.

I guess at that point you say, well it's their fault for being bad students and they still don't deserve anything but all I'm saying that carrot of 'free education' is completely useless to those types of athletes and I think there is a very large portion of NCAA athletes who are in that boat (it's not 1% I'm guessing).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Eli said:

NCAA trying to get out in front of the state and federal legislation with a half-cocked approach. Immediately after announcing this according to Jay Billas, notable critic of the NCAA. They called two reps in Congress attempting to convince them that their federal legislation is no longer needed. Both reps told them to kick rocks. 

This is an ultra weak attempt, wrapped in generalization with no actual plan.