UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

I don’t mind paying for parking, or getting a parking pass for a GDAC contribution.  But having said that, I damn well expect the university to honor my parking tag in the f’n lot where it is designated for.  They oversold the lot, plain and simple. They didn’t set aside parking for tag holders. That’s poor planning and imho another screwup by the AD.  

As an FYI, there were some open spots at the end of the row I was in at Dutch that were available. I'm assuming they closed it down for safety purposes. I've never seen the lot that full of tailgating partiers. It was kind of crazy. The police presence was heavy because it really had to be with that many students partying. 

There were at least 2 times I feared for my grill as cars tried to plow through the row getting people to move out of their way.

With attendance being as bad as it has been all season, it's easy to understand why they may not have anticipated that kind of turnout. 

For future, they should designate a section at the back along university circle for people who aren't tailgating and just want to park right before the game. If they kept it on the outside it could have alleviated the cars trying to force their way through the party.

• Thanks 1

If they give out 500 dutch parking passes, they need to block off 500 spots. Period. I'm 100% with Jimbo on this. I can't stand companies (airlines, etc.) who oversell and then bump people. I wasn't a business major at UA, so I'm sure there is some 'business reason' they could come up with to explain it away but IMO, it's a weiner move.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jimbo said:

I don’t mind paying for parking, or getting a parking pass for a GDAC contribution.  But having said that, I damn well expect the university to honor my parking tag in the f’n lot where it is designated for.  They oversold the lot, plain and simple. They didn’t set aside parking for tag holders. That’s poor planning and imho another screwup by the AD.  

This used to happen all the time in sefcu lot until they finally limited it to only tag holders. 

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

This used to happen all the time in sefcu lot until they finally limited it to only tag holders. 

It seems elemental to me that if parking is a perk of GDAC contributions, then it’s incumbent upon the AD to make sure that perk can be redeemed. I didn’t need it for the first three games because you could have parked a fleet of semis in the Dutch Quad lot...when I need it...nope....they do just enough each year to make me believe there’s a lot of incompetence in the AD. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:26 PM, UA1882 said:

Another good win . Team has exceeded expectations for many of us. Hopefully finish the season out strong, continue to develop our QB, and maybe have a couple of good seasons over the next few years. 

Absolutely, something look forward to this year perhaps next couple years.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Eli said:

If they give out 500 dutch parking passes, they need to block off 500 spots. Period. I'm 100% with Jimbo on this. I can't stand companies (airlines, etc.) who oversell and then bump people. I wasn't a business major at UA, so I'm sure there is some 'business reason' they could come up with to explain it away but IMO, it's a weiner move.

It was just poor planning. They really should designate a small area of dutch, along the outside, that doesn't allow tailgating. This would be great for cases of people getting there late, and for people that don't want to park in the middle of people throwing footballs and BBQs. Say the 8 outside spots in each row. Would free up more open areas for tailgating, everyone is happy.

Thats the thing, they didn't oversell. There were more than enough open spots in the lot. The problem is tailgating groups take up 2-3 spots with 1 car in many cases. With a few thousand fans partying and having a good time in the parking lot and rows between cars, it was just impossible to get people who arrived later (after 2:30 or so) to one of the 100+ open spots without being dangerous to the people having a good time in the lot. Keeping the last 8 spots in every row tailgate free would keep over 175 parking spots with easy in and easy out. (I count 22 rows in the dutch lot that are used during football games looking at google maps satellite view).  This would have almost no effect on the tailgating, block some of the debauchery from view when on University drive, and would make everything smoother.

It doesn't matter if you care about tailgating or not, that is a BIG part of the college football experience, and is one thing that does bring in more fans. If the program continues to play well, and the attendance rises into the 6000+ per game range, tailgating will be a big part of that. 

Its a very easy and elegant solution that makes everyone happy. It just takes foresight and planning by the school. 

If 175 spots isn't enough, make it the first 15 spots. Still no effect on tailgating, and now you have reserved 330 spaces for non-tailgaters

Edited by godanesgo99

On 10/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, nysteve661 said:

Tough, gutsy win.  Again JU throws TD passes when needed and does not throw to the other team.  Tied for 2nd in CAA but that was the easier part of schedule.  Rest up.

Another great observation, as we look forward to our next home game against Maine.

1 hour ago, Eli said:

I don't care about tailgating. This used to happen for years in the SEFCU lot where they would over sell. That, IMO, is ridiculous.

I don’t care about tailgating either. We got there at 3, our normal time...Park, walk wait ten minutes for kickoff. Why go earlier and sit and wait? I’m not losing any sleep over this, but if the university wants money and GDAC members they need to do a better job taking care of real fans instead of catering to the homecoming party crowd. 

On 10/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, Clickclack said:

We win again... Today not very sharp but key plays in key spots. Found a way, they don't ask how you won but if. 

Need this bye week badly... Lots of injuries. Congrats to team and coaching staff. Having themselves a season now. Let's keep going. Tough stretch to close out season. 

With the bye week behind us, one wonders how the injured players are recovering.

7 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

It doesn't matter if you care about tailgating or not, that is a BIG part of the college football experience, and is one thing that does bring in more fans. If the program continues to play well, and the attendance rises into the 6000+ per game range, tailgating will be a big part of that. 

Its a very easy and elegant solution that makes everyone happy. It just takes foresight and planning by the school. 

If 175 spots isn't enough, make it the first 15 spots. Still no effect on tailgating, and now you have reserved 330 spaces for non-tailgaters

For the record, I'm not suggesting just because I don't care about tailgating that they do away with it or something (not sure what your post was really about regarding explaining to me how big of a deal it is).

That being said your solution is indeed a sound one but one that our AD wouldn't realize if it slapped them in the face repeatedly. They have had numerous blunders over the past few years. As a result, upstanding diehards such as myself or Jimbo, whether it is the SEFCU lot 2-3 years ago or the Dutch lot today, are getting bumped out of the spots they paid (or donated) for. They keep these blunders up and eventually people will stop donating at the levels they are accustomed to (that's already happening, BTW).

On 10/19/2019 at 8:53 PM, jimbo said:

Awesome in the second half. JU definitely had an off day (can you have an off day with 4 TDS?) but some butter fingers by the receivers too. Mofor is developing a real beast mode...me likes. D stepped up big time when needed.  Wesneski was open so much he could have had some more catches.  Way too many yards given up, but the only number that counted is 35-28.  😄

With the Maine game just few days away, a repeat of Jimbo's remarks of the Rhode Island game is worth a second look.

Edited by cwdickens
Missed something

On 10/27/2019 at 9:31 PM, Eli said:

For the record, I'm not suggesting just because I don't care about tailgating that they do away with it or something (not sure what your post was really about regarding explaining to me how big of a deal it is).

That being said your solution is indeed a sound one but one that our AD wouldn't realize if it slapped them in the face repeatedly. They have had numerous blunders over the past few years. As a result, upstanding diehards such as myself or Jimbo, whether it is the SEFCU lot 2-3 years ago or the Dutch lot today, are getting bumped out of the spots they paid (or donated) for. They keep these blunders up and eventually people will stop donating at the levels they are accustomed to (that's already happening, BTW).

Contact the AD Dept............ that is the best solution rather than talking about it here.

• Haha 1

• Eli changed the title to Game #8: 10/19/19 - 3:30PM vs Rhode Island