UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #14: 12/7/19 - 3:00PM @ #5 Montana State [FCS Playoffs Round 2]

1 hour ago, catbob said:

I noticed Albany gets a ton of TFLs, and forced fumbles.  The DL isn't all that big so I'm guessing they are extremely active and attempt to jump gaps with twists, stunts, etc..  Is that an accurate assessment?

You almost need to treat MSU like a triple option team.  You need to be extremely gap sound.  If an DL or LB twists or stunts into the wrong gap I mean you're talking a huge gain for MSU.  Honestly that is the #1 reason we've beat our rival Montana 4 years in a row, is because they do a ton of post-snap movement and we exploit that to the max.  We've beaten them 4 years in a row.  I mean we've only throw the ball for a combined 395 yards in 4 games, not a single TD or interception thrown (isn't that a crazy stat?).  But we've rushed for something like 330 yards a game over that span.  MSU is a bad matchup for UM who runs a very aggressive defense and thrives on post-snap movement and letting their two stud LB clean up the mess, because we have the personnel, scheme and coaching staff (in game adjustments) who can take advantage.

It'll be an interesting matchup, to see if Albany can create those TFLs or if MSU can exploit Albany's scheme.

I don't think we run a ton of stunts but there is some post snap movement as your coach described in his press conference of switching gaps after the snap. I think our DBs do a good job of making tackles on outside rushes and the LBs can get through the line a good bit to tackle in the backfield but I think a lot of the TFLs are one of the D linemen just beating his man by shooting a gap with some quickness. But as you can see in the stats I posted above they have let up some big rushing days.  5 times this season the opposing team went for 186 or more yards but also, as said before, really seem to tighten up well inside the redzone.  CCSU ran for 199 but couldn't get the ball in the endzone and ended up with only 14 pts. The second TD was in the 4th quarter when it was 42-7.

I clipped to the point where your coach talks about the dline.  He's pretty spot on with his assessment.  Not a ton of blitzes.

Edited by DanesRGood

1 hour ago, catbob said:

It's kind of funny how inverse the stats are - Albany has only given up 15 rushing TDs but MSU has rushed for 39 touchdowns.  MSU has only given up 15 passing TDs and Albany has 39 passing TDs.

You're gonna break something, bringing up stats like that 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cats2506 said:

So, I am wondering how its going with digging out of the snow, Is your team going to be able to practice on the field today or are they in the indoor soccer place again?

I am assuming that your guys are like us, when a storm like this hits you just deal with it and move on, the rest of the country gets 1/2" of snow and below freezing and everyone loses their mind

Yes. Coach thanked people for clearing the field of snow on Twitter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

Yes, we've had a great season and I believe we are a very good team BUT did you watch the press conference?  The MSU coach made us sound like the best team in the country. The posters on the MSU board even said, "Wait until Monday when our coach makes your team sound like the greatest ever." or something like that.  They weren't kidding. He names basically every player and said a number of them can play in the NFL. I think he just exaggerated a bit. That's all.  I was NOT taking a shot at our team. 

As for the rushing defense, it ranked 47th in FCS and allowed almost 150 yards per game.  That's not good.  We do however make big plays when it counts in the red zone, which you are correct about and where we rank 23rd in Red Zone Defense.  We talk about it all the time, bend but don't break. MSU is one of the best rushing offenses in the country against an average rush defense. It will be tough but not impossible!

Rushing Yards by game:

CMU - 244

Bryant - 120

Monmounth - 190

Lafayette - 94

WM - 184

Richmond - 121

Towson - 93 

URI - 144

Maine - 169

Delaware - 225

UNH - 106

SBU - 100

CCSU - 199

That is not that good. It's not TERRIBLE but not good.

Actually that is fairly GOOD!  There are 126 FCS FB schools in 2019.  We are in the top 37%.  Not bad at all in the scheme of things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We were better than  79 other teams.  Giving up and average of 153 yds. per game rushing is not bad actually! I know many defensive coaches who would love to give up only 152 yards rushing per game!

Edited by HOF2013

58 minutes ago, Cats2506 said:

I see your team is going to visit Museum of the Rockies, and some of them don't believe in dinosaurs.

Its a great museum that houses the largest collection of dinosaur remains in the US.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-has-T-Rexes-Genghis-Khan-on-14881392.php

I wonder if Wynn was kidding about not believing dinosaurs existed.  Either way, some funny quotes in there. 

20 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Actually that is fairly GOOD!  There are 126 FCS FB schools in 2019.  We are in the top 37%.  Not bad at all in the scheme of things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We were better than  79 other teams.  Giving up and average of 153 yds. per game rushing is not bad actually! I know many defensive coaches who would love to give up only 152 yards rushing per game!

Yea those stats are pretty respectable.  Obviously you guys watch the games and have a better gauge on it, but that as at least middle of the road, probably top 1/3.  But the best rushing team you've played is Albany who is 23rd in the country at 201 YPG, but you impressively held them to 100 even.  Next best W&M at #30/186 YPG and they ran for 184, so right at the average.  Then of course the head scratcher at Delaware, who only runs 156 YPG but ran for 225 on Albany.

All in all it looks like on paper Albay has a pretty good rush defense.  But in the last 4 games the Cats have rushed the ball for 1,293 yards on 196 carries, good for 6.6 YPC and 323 yards per game.  Southern Utah did hold us to 176 yards on just 4.29 YPC, but that was a game that was 42-0 at half so we played extremely conservative in the 2nd half.  That was also a game where we tried to establish the pass and threw for 182 yards in the first half.  Rovig's steady improvement into a game manager has really helped soften the box and he can make enough throws to keep a defense honest, which is all we need and ask of him.

45 minutes ago, catbob said:

Yea those stats are pretty respectable.  Obviously you guys watch the games and have a better gauge on it, but that as at least middle of the road, probably top 1/3.  But the best rushing team you've played is Albany who is 23rd in the country at 201 YPG, but you impressively held them to 100 even.  Next best W&M at #30/186 YPG and they ran for 184, so right at the average.  Then of course the head scratcher at Delaware, who only runs 156 YPG but ran for 225 on Albany.

All in all it looks like on paper Albay has a pretty good rush defense.  But in the last 4 games the Cats have rushed the ball for 1,293 yards on 196 carries, good for 6.6 YPC and 323 yards per game.  Southern Utah did hold us to 176 yards on just 4.29 YPC, but that was a game that was 42-0 at half so we played extremely conservative in the 2nd half.  That was also a game where we tried to establish the pass and threw for 182 yards in the first half.  Rovig's steady improvement into a game manager has really helped soften the box and he can make enough throws to keep a defense honest, which is all we need and ask of him.

What, they played themselves?

LMAO. From the bobcatnation forum....

I like U Albany. I really do. I respect their journey from being picked last to a 6-2 record and a 2nd round game. Their coach seems like a stand up guy, and their poster who's over here has done a great job even in the face of casual smack talk. That why I'm conflicted in suggesting the following:

More that just a student, I think we need a small army of blow up T Rex suits. I think the dance team needs T Rex's doing choreography during the timeouts. I think the band needs T Rex's marching with them at the tailgates and in the half time show. I think we need T Rex's running the endzone under the student section. As many as we can get our hands on in this amount of time need to be deployed.

I'd give them props for doing that. I love this kind of stuff!

7 hours ago, catbob said:

Impressive running team.  We make more pass attempts.  Like others have said.  If we compete and lost it's still a very successful season for us - and you guys.e

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

• Eli changed the title to Game #14: 12/7/19 - 3:00PM @ #5 Montana State [FCS Playoffs Round 2]