UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #11: 12/10/19 - 7:00PM @ Boston College

Eli

Well, I fell asleep at halftime and so I saw good Danes, but missed bad Danes. A look at the box score tells me all I need to know. First of all, ACC vs AE....the talent level is not the same and over a 40 min game the ACC talent level will generally prevail unless the AE players are hitting on all cylinders and avoiding mistakes.  Now the bad....what the heck happened to our foul shooting? Once a source of pride, it’s become an Achilles heel. That’s one place where it makes no difference who you’re playing...the foul line is the foul line. I understand the pressure of making foul shots in a big game, but playing an early Dec game in Beantown against a non conference opponent in front of 3500 is not exactly big pressure time.  It may be their O sets or style, but what I see is a team struggling to get good rotations, hitting the open man and avoid turnovers. It often results in a player trying to do too much. And the good...Hanks is REALLY humping out there. For a guy who is not blessed with a lot of natural athletic ability, he is making the most of his time. Still, we have so minimal offensive threat down low it makes it tough on the perimeter. But what do I know...very little actually.  Just what I see. Decent announcers last night. 

It seemed that the ACC was using their ACC speed and length to swarm our guards. Our bigs being down low are a clear weakness so far with this team, so they were able to apply max effort to pestering the guards, and if for some reason they got beat off the dribble (only Clark could) their bigs were able to step in and stop them without much worry of our bigs getting the ball. Our guys didn't handle the pressure well.

As for the foul shooting, part of the problem is that the majority of our foul shots were taken by the bigs:

Looking at the box, the 3/4/5 players were 8-16, and I think that is a mistake. Hank is listed as 2-4, but my memory has him at 0-4. (Lulka 5-10, Hutch 1-2)

The guards were 3-5. Only 60% there, but that's still a very small sample size. 

14 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Here's an interesting proposition.  Name me one player who consistently developed from his Frosh to Senior years with progression upward every year, going back as far as you'd like to go.  When we've had a good players and good years, it was always with players who were good every year..never developed (unless they were never given minutes in those earlier years, like Nichols).

For example, Healy is the same Healy we saw last year, DeSousa is worse, Rizzuto is worse. Clark is the same, etc.

Cremo was the same player all three years, only his minutes changed, etc etc.

I think you get my point and where i'm going with this...Coaching is as much about player development as it is about schemes. 

I won't even get into the rest but if you think Healy is the same offensive player that's insane to me. He's 100% added moves to free himself up with ball in hand from both inside the arc and outside the arc. His handle is still a work in progress, but is much improved as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

It seemed that the ACC was using their ACC speed and length to swarm our guards. Our bigs being down low are a clear weakness so far with this team, so they were able to apply max effort to pestering the guards, and if for some reason they got beat off the dribble (only Clark could) their bigs were able to step in and stop them without much worry of our bigs getting the ball. Our guys didn't handle the pressure well.

As for the foul shooting, part of the problem is that the majority of our foul shots were taken by the bigs:

Looking at the box, the 3/4/5 players were 8-16, and I think that is a mistake. Hank is listed as 2-4, but my memory has him at 0-4. (Lulka 5-10, Hutch 1-2)

The guards were 3-5. Only 60% there, but that's still a very small sample size. 

Hank hit his first 2 FTs, clanked the last 2.  Lulka was 5 for 10.  

I was at the game last night. I am hoping DeSousa is getting healthy.  I found it interesting that when he's in the game, he communicates to teammates a lot, and seems to know where people are and when they're not in the correct position.  I certain;y can't be positive that he's actually correct but he seems to show some leadership qualities which do not currently seem to be a strong point.  

• Like 1