Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jimbo

2020 Football - A Look Ahead

Recommended Posts

Just thought I would start the conversation for 2020. Looking at the roster and existing freshmen, here’s what I see:  (barring transfers and graduations that I don’t know about)

Overall, 11 starters gone, 5 on offense and 6 on defense. Plus our KOR PR specialist.

TE, QB and RB are all back in full force. Losing 3 on the O line will hurt until we see how the replacements are. There’s some big bodies waiting in the wings. Two freshmen from the 2019 class add to the stable. 

WR is heavily hit of course with the graduation of Green and Reeves. TO is a good one and Gamble plus Irizarry from 2019 are a help. Let’s see if they can land some ready to go JUCOs that we hear they are pursuing. 

DL is heavily hit with three starters gone and Eli is going to be awfully hard to replace. Lang looks to be a good one an I think Mazon Walker is about to be a terror for opposing offenses. Verse and Lawrence come in from 2019. 

LB are intact and strong with good backups. 

DBs will be hard hit with 3 of 4 starters gone. There are 4 2019 guys to add in so they were clearly preparing for this. Ayers, Evans, Walker and fields are the new names. 

Specialists are all back except for McDonald and we are supposed to have an ace PK on the way. 

Edited by jimbo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Just thought I would start the conversation for 2020. Looking at the roster and existing freshmen, here’s what I see:  (barring transfers and graduations that I don’t know about)

Overall, 11 starters gone, 5 on offense and 6 on defense. Plus our KOR PR specialist.

TE, QB and RB are all back in full force. Losing 3 on the O line will hurt until we see how the replacements are. There’s some big bodies waiting in the wings. Two freshmen from the 2019 class add to the stable. 

WR is heavily hit of course with the graduation of Green and Reeves. TO is a good one and Gamble plus Irizarry from 2019 are a help. Let’s see if they can land some ready to go JUCOs that we hear they are pursuing. 

DL is heavily hit with three starters gone and Eli is going to be awfully hard to replace. Lang looks to be a good one an I think Mazon Walker is about to be a terror for opposing offenses. Verse and Lawrence come in from 2019. 

LB are intact and strong with good backups. 

DBs will be hard hit with 3 of 4 starters gone. There are 4 2019 guys to add in so they were clearly preparing for this. Ayers, Evans, Walker and fields are the new names. 

Specialists are all back except for McDonald and we are supposed to have an ace PK on the way. 

We will know if the program has taken an upward trend based on the recruiting and replacing the seniors for next season.  JMU and NDSU always have no issue with that but I don't think we can ever get to their level, many have tried the past 10 years.  Is there any worry that JU takes his talents elsewhere based on his stats and national attention from this season?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

We will know if the program has taken an upward trend based on the recruiting and replacing the seniors for next season.  JMU and NDSU always have no issue with that but I don't think we can ever get to their level, many have tried the past 10 years.  Is there any worry that JU takes his talents elsewhere based on his stats and national attention from this season?  

Anything is possible, but in my mind JU won't go anywhere...at least until he graduates. So we may have home for 2 more years and if he's still successful then maybe an FBS  program in need of a QB will come calling. You see a lot of FBS to FCS transfers. Excelling at the FCS level as a QB has been a stepping stone for some pretty good players over the years. Is it better to be very good at the FCS level or average at the FBS? Look at Wentz, Garapollo, Romo, Stick, Flacco and ones from before...Anyway, I hope he sticks around...I'll cry if he doesn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern and worry is the 11 (5O-6D) graduating. The fact that it is basically ½ the starting line-up, is only part of the concern. My concern is the lack of experience back-ups played this year. While I am NOT as in tune with UA football as many of you, personally it seemed to me UA relied very heavy on the 22 kids who started. Its EASY to "SAY" we have a great stable of kids coming in, redshirts ready to step up, more successful recruiting of late, and we're expecting even more of an uptick from this successful year. But we all know the proof is on the FIELD. I may be totally wrong, but like I said, I did not notice much depth this year.  One indicator (but not the only one) of my depth concerns, is SPECIAL teams which has been bad to awful all year. Mont. State really demonstrated that quality teams use their special teams to not only make a difference in games, but to groom players for the future. 

Not trying to be negative after such a fine year; just NOT as encourage/optimistic as some of you. HOPE my concerns are wrong/misplaced!

Edited by dslyank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Anything is possible, but in my mind JU won't go anywhere...at least until he graduates. So we may have home for 2 more years and if he's still successful then maybe an FBS  program in need of a QB will come calling. You see a lot of FBS to FCS transfers. Excelling at the FCS level as a QB has been a stepping stone for some pretty good players over the years. Is it better to be very good at the FCS level or average at the FBS? Look at Wentz, Garapollo, Romo, Stick, Flacco and ones from before...Anyway, I hope he sticks around...I'll cry if he doesn't. 

Let's hope he stays.  You hate to see a school like Rutgers, for example, luring him back to Jersey and him thinking, wow, playing in the Big 10.  And then winning 2 games a year cause Rutgers is horrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, the Montana State game brought the focus to areas of need that we’ve had all year

  1. Big athletic cornerbacks - Coach Gattuso has talked about this for years.  He recruited Dee Fields and Elijah Fields (both around 6’1”/ 6’2”) last year but i don’t think either one played any games - maybe they can step in.  We could have used that size against teams like Rhode Island, Maine and Montana State - we give up too many 50/50 passes.
  2. More size at linebacker.  Metheny is a good middle linebacker but I’d like to see him on the strong side and Damico on the other side with a bigger middle linebacker
  3. Bigger offensive linemen.  We struggle against good defensive lines.  One of the challenges we had against Montana State was that they were getting pressure with three or four linemen.  It’s hard to make passes with 7 or 8 defenders dropping into coverage.  
  4. Bigger receivers.  I’d like to see one big receiver that’s physical.  
  5. Defensive End.  I’d guess that we’d go back to a traditional defensive line now that Eli Mencer is gone.  Lachmann started a few games but I don’t think he played in the last few games.  Rushawn Lawrence was really good in HS so maybe he can step in.  Not sure that Isaiah Watson is the best fit so maybe he goes back to outside linebacker.

 

The good news is I think we entered the year with needs in these areas but we had great skill players and made a run.  Let’s see who we can get to step up.

 

 

Edited by reeder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t mention special teams.  We struggled there all year.  Not just place kicking but kickoff coverage as well.  If we can’t kick it into the end zone, we need to be able to tackle better.  Not sure if that’s a player issue or a scheme issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes it a little tougher with so many graduating but as you guys have said lots of guys waiting in the wings.  BTW>>>>

They used O and D starters on Kick return coverages all year.  Not sure why they had so many problems - got to spend more time on that I would guess.

Two big Redshirt Freshman TEs [6' 6" 254 & 6' 6' 253) (Renninger and Greaney) both got a considerable amount of playing time on special teams AND on the OL..

Freshman SS got a lot of time (Walker).  Freshman QB (Dabney) got time in the first 4 games - then redshirted.  Got several others in the wings and at least one committed.

 Second hybrid De Redshirt Soph (Watson) got a lot of playing time. Jr from Germany got time early on D line at end and then got hurt. He was in a walking cast for a couple of games - not sure he is the answer.

Redshirt Freshman WR  Odekoven got lots of playing time, especially in the last 5 games.  Got several  bigtime JUCO WR and DB guys offered. I am fairly certain a couple will be attending. UA staring in January.  THAT is very important as they will compete in Spring ball. 

Had some Freshman, Sophomores and Jrs. on O line who played on and off AND who got considerable playing time.  Got offers to a couple of OL including guards and centers from JUCO

Same on DL.

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dslyank said:

My concern and worry is the 11 (5O-6D) graduating. The fact that it is basically ½ the starting line-up, is only part of the concern. My concern is the lack of experience back-ups played this year. While I am NOT as in tune with UA football as many of you, personally it seemed to me UA relied very heavy on the 22 kids who started. Its EASY to "SAY" we have a great stable of kids coming in, redshirts ready to step up, more successful recruiting of late, and we're expecting even more of an uptick from this successful year. But we all know the proof is on the FIELD. I may be totally wrong, but like I said, I did not notice much depth this year.  One indicator (but not the only one) of my depth concerns, is SPECIAL teams which has been bad to awful all year. Mont. State really demonstrated that quality teams use their special teams to not only make a difference in games, but to groom players for the future. 

Not trying to be negative after such a fine year; just NOT as encourage/optimistic as some of you. HOPE my concerns are wrong/misplaced!

I’m trying to be more analytical than optimistic. Our O line was ok, but it wasn’t like they were the be all’s. Only one made a conference team.  GG has said Kobe Thomas is good and will likely move to center.  He sure looked lost on Saturday. I’m more worried about the D line and DBs. That’s a big hit in experience and performance. McDonald was a dynamic player when healthy, so he needs a replacement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The all-conference players was a huge bone of contention for our players.  We finished 2nd in the CAA and the last place team had an equal number of players selected!

We will have to have some good recruits coming in [they are going after some good ones] AND the guyson the team must have the next man up mentality.  They had to step up this year so hopefully that is now part of the psyche and the younger guys understand that.

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimbo said:

I’m trying to be more analytical than optimistic. Our O line was ok, but it wasn’t like they were the be all’s. Only one made a conference team.  GG has said Kobe Thomas is good and will likely move to center.  He sure looked lost on Saturday. I’m more worried about the D line and DBs. That’s a big hit in experience and performance. McDonald was a dynamic player when healthy, so he needs a replacement. 

I know that Coach Gattuso talked about Micah Royster moving back to center.  He started at Center as a redshirt freshman before Nico Cuban transferred in.  I agree Kobe Thomas had a bad game but I think he had a really good year overall and he’s only a freshman so I think he’ll be fine going forward.  On defense, I just think we need to get bigger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Undercuffler finished 2nd in the Jerry Rice award for Best Freshman.  Thats nuts considering how bad we've been at that position for the past bunch of years.  Nice work, coaching staff.  (see..i say nice things about coaches when deserved).

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the guys in the wings are good...1 returning OL starter is not a good sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...