UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020 Football - A Look Ahead

On 12/9/2019 at 10:38 AM, dslyank said:

My concern and worry is the 11 (5O-6D) graduating. The fact that it is basically ½ the starting line-up, is only part of the concern. My concern is the lack of experience back-ups played this year. While I am NOT as in tune with UA football as many of you, personally it seemed to me UA relied very heavy on the 22 kids who started. Its EASY to "SAY" we have a great stable of kids coming in, redshirts ready to step up, more successful recruiting of late, and we're expecting even more of an uptick from this successful year. But we all know the proof is on the FIELD. I may be totally wrong, but like I said, I did not notice much depth this year.  One indicator (but not the only one) of my depth concerns, is SPECIAL teams which has been bad to awful all year. Mont. State really demonstrated that quality teams use their special teams to not only make a difference in games, but to groom players for the future. 

Not trying to be negative after such a fine year; just NOT as encourage/optimistic as some of you. HOPE my concerns are wrong/misplaced!

A lot of younger kids actually played quite a bit, and a few on the OL and DL, several did get game experience.  Some played early and then were red-shirted, others throughout the year.  We are posting all of the signers and potential transfers on other threads.  They are heavily recruiting a few more JUCO kids so we'll see [Also Coach Gautsso said the class could be 20 by the time all were signed].  The special teams were mostly O and D starters all year by the way with some of the key freshman playing a lot there.  Not sure what the issues were BUT don't think it was the kids.......;it usually is not.   Coach Gatusso talked about using starters on special teams in comment during the year.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:15 PM, reeder said:

I know that Coach Gattuso talked about Micah Royster moving back to center.  He started at Center as a redshirt freshman before Nico Cuban transferred in.  I agree Kobe Thomas had a bad game but I think he had a really good year overall and he’s only a freshman so I think he’ll be fine going forward.  On defense, I just think we need to get bigger.

I don't disagree with the size of the D-line, have complained about it for a couple of years, but the philosophy seems to be as much one of speed as size.  We have usually had one or two bigs guys and the rest smaller and quicker.  Big LB's though but small Def backs.  They are moving to bigger and taller LB's and Secondary guys.  Some of the guys getting beat at HB, Corner and SS is definitely a size issue.  Tall guys can get up higher.   We have to make sure the WR's being recruited are fast.  Speed always wins [eg Green].  Need guys that are at least 4.5 40 guys, if we can get a 4.4 with hands that will be awesome!.  I like Odekoven, he'll continue to get better; he is 6' or 6' 1" can't remember off hand.  We have one committed JUCO WR and a couple of 6' 2 - 6' 3" 2020 kids coming in [also have a couple of RS from this year].  I think we'll be fine as long as the kids maintain the culture and work ethic that comes with success.. 

Edited by HOF2013

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Eli said:

Well...that's interesting. Hope all works out!

As more and more time passes, and a lot has changed with the program since his initial departure...if I'm being honest...it does appear that Holmes and not GG was the initial problem in that relationship (at lease one more responsible then the other) regardless of the chirping that went on and accounts shared at that time of what went on. I was pretty vocal when this happened and losing was pervasive, but it does bring into question some of the narrative shared. Why would you go back under any circumstances if they were true or even fight for a release?

If he folds himself into the team, plays within the offensive scheme regardless of number of touches... let's let be honest, he can be a strong contributor even if he's a deep threat with his speed. 

Listen, I've given GG lots of $iena over the years (he deserved it) but good for him being the grown man, lesson have been learned I'm sure by not only Devin but I'm sure other kids see it play out. Put it behind everyone whatever happened and let's win some more!

He will help Cuff as a weapon. I for one can't wait to see him work with Cuff and the stables of receivers we have. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2

Hmmm. Usually receivers don't get this way until they reach the NFL....but looks like the kid grew up some and nice to see DH and GG get back in each other's graces. Agree that he's a big time weapon when used properly.

• Like 3

Nothing else to say but: Oedekoven, Holmes, Rima, Potts, and 5 or 6 young guys who were RS and a couple of new freshmen coming in.  WOW!!!   Plus  6' 6" Renninger, 6' 6" Greaney, 6' 3" Wesneski all back at TE (and both of the tall freshman played quite a bit this year).   Pretty sure a few guys who were not on scholarship, but taking up valuable positions were told other scholarship kids were taking their places.    

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Hmmm. Usually receivers don't get this way until they reach the NFL....but looks like the kid grew up some and nice to see DH and GG get back in each other's graces. Agree that he's a big time weapon when used properly.

Maybe he saw what he missed - or, and I hope not - we were better without him being disruptive!!!!

16 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Nothing else to say but: Odekoven, Holmes, Rima, Potts, and 5 or 6 young guys who were RS and a couple of new freshmen coming in.  WOW!!!   Plus  6' 6" Renninger, 6' 6" Greaney, 6' 3" Wesneski all back at TE.   

LOL...scary! I don't want to jinx it but we went from a ton of questions at the WR position and if Cuff would have weapons to this. 

6 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

LOL...scary! I don't want to jinx it but we went from a ton of questions at the WR position and if Cuff would have weapons to this. 

Agree, don't want to jinx but winning REALLY helps doesn't it....?

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

No Scholarship this spring - as per article - he can re-earn it with work ethic, attitude and leadership.  Actually he gets no scholarship for 2020 at all.  Let's see if he is serious.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1